Anyone here take Norvasc? (Read 1832 times)

Cause I CAN

Curious if it has effected your running any? Evil grin My blood pressure is now stable but have had a rough time with this stuff. I brought it up to my doc and we agreed on trying to take it at night to see if that helps. Anyway, just curious, not looking for medical advice...thanks
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
    peggya111

What kind of symptoms are you having? I take generic Coreg but since losing weight (75 lbs) and running am on half the dosage I was before. But before we cut it down, I was experiencing "orthostatic hypotension" - dizzy when I stood up too quickly, actually I was dizzy a lot. Made me crazy. Cutting the dose has helped and I also take mine at night. I would like to get off it altogether, but I may have to live with the stuff for a while yet. See if night time dosing helps. If not, maybe you could try another BP med. Sounds like you have a good relationship with your doc and he is open to stuff. I am lucky - my doc is a marathoner!
      Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)
        I've been on it for several months - my doctor (an avid runner) actually switched me to it specifically because I was running. He said it would be much better for training than my previous med, Toprol, which was a beta blocker. I can't say I noticed a difference - I've always taken it at night though. Good luck!

Cause I CAN

I am on 5mg once a day...I notice I get dizzy sometimes when I stand. I was constantly tired when I was first put on it but not so much anymore. I've been on it for 6 months. I just notice its harder to run since being on it in general. I have to stop some during the run which I never had to do before.
          Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
          http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
          peggya111

The dizzy thing is exactly what was driving me crazy. Check with the doc -- I doubt that is supposed to be happening. Let us know what happens.
            Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'm on norvasc and a ton of other drugs, including beta blockers, for bp, heart, reflux, prostate, and cholesterol. Fortunately I started running after I was put on the drugs. The short version of a long story - was blessed with a heart attack in the ER 3/15/2008. Severe indigestion got me to the ER where the attack was accidently induced by efforts to eliminate the pain. Seems family history trumps 16 years of normal cholesterol and working out 5x/week. I started running to drive HDL up since drugs don't do a good job on it. I also take norvasc at night and had intereactions between it and other drugs at first which resulted in making dosage and medication adjustments. I dropped a few more pounds since starting running and improved conditioning which has helped to further reduce dosage amounts. I still get occasional dizziness if I get up from my desk to quickly, but not as bad as when the regimen was first started. Since I was already on the drugs when I stated running I can't report on how it affected my running - its all I know. The beta blocker lmiits my hr so I can't run based on it and have to use percieved exertion as the key measure wrt conditioning. hth

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I switched from Norvasc to Lisiprinol in August last year. I noticed a dramatic improvement in my running! The Norvasc made me drink more. I believe I read somewhere that it acts as a dieuretic. Once I switched to the lisiprinol I noticed that I didn't need to drink nearly as much on my longer runs. Up until that point in my running career I had always had issues on long runs with water intake. I'd be interested to hear from other runners who have made a similar switch. I've also experienced the dizziness symptoms that have been described here. However they are minor and very intermittent. I think the better my blood pressure is the more I experience these. On my next Dr. visit I'm going to question whether I need to be medicated at all. I've lost 80 lbs. and have run 3 marathons since I was first put on the Norvasc. Another question for the Norvasc takers; Do you have problems with your ankles bloating in the summer or if you travel to a tropical climate in the winter? It was actually this side effect that caused me to ask my Dr. to change medications. Up to that point I didn't even consider the impact on my running, but the ankle swelling drove me crazy. Not to mention that I'd be up all night visiting the bathroom to get rid of the extra fluid!
                itri

King of Disney

I take the generic Amlodipine and have no problems. I consider it a performance enhancing drug. My running got so much better after taking it. I believe it improved the blood flow through my body which enhanced my performance. My doctor who is a avid runner said it would be the best for my training. I am on it now for one year. I started at 5mg and then went to 10mg. Possibly the 10mg is creating some adema in my lower legs but not really an issue.
                  casualrunner

My dad takes it and I know he complained about the dizziness as well. He was actually able to cut down his dose which helped, but that doesn't seem like a possibility in your case.