Need some help with 5k (Read 62 times)

dafishman

Hi all,

I'm 39, Male, 6'3-330lbs. I have been doing the couch to 5k program and I jog a 5k in 40 minutes (yes---crappy!!!!). I can do a 10 minute mile, then I start to fade....

When I say fade, I mean not my cardio, my cardio is fine. Even at 330lbs, I sweat but towards the end, barely sweat....I could easily go another 1/2- 1mile...

MY legs start to kill me after the 1st mile. Sometimes it's my thighs, sometimes my shins, sometimes the bottoms of my feet.....

I live in Upstate NY, right now thw weather is hot and humid, 85 out 60% humidity.....

I know my weight is a BIG issue, I am not eating good at all ( i know not helping) but is there anything that I can do besides losing weight that will cause less leg pain? Or is it just my weight? I got fitted sneakers so I dont think its that. I run on my road in the country. Its pavement. The 1st 1/2 mile is a gradual incline, then it goes down for 1/2 mile, the the next 1/2 is flat, Coming back, the 1st 1/2 mile is flat, then back up the hill for a 1/2 and then down and flat for the final 1/2 and that equals my 3.1 miles......

2 years ago I trained and I weighed 306lbs at the time and I ran the 5k in 32:43, about 7-8 minutes better. Same road, same everything!

If I take alleve the night before it does seem to help with the legs.

I run every other day. This past week is when I made it to the 5k and end of the program. I have tried a track which obviously my times are faster. I would just like to get back and get close to the 32 minute mark......

I'm running the boilermaker 5k which is 1 month from today so I am going to eat very well and keep going. Hopefully, I will run and improve over the next month...

Any tips would be appreciated!!!!

peaches123

1) Run on softer surfaces.  Concrete is the worst for your legs, followed by asphalt.  Packed dirt trails are the best, though you have to watch that the footing is even.  Run on grass sometimes if you can too.

2) Even though you were fitted for shoes, it could still be the shoes.  They may be too soft, too stiff, not cushioned enough, etc...  Shoes are a very personal thing and if you are wearing the wrong ones it can cause problems.

3) Heat and humidity definitely have an affect on how fast you can run.  Try running slower at the beginning and see how you feel.  Also, not sweating is a bad thing.  Are you drinking water during the run?  Getting electrolytes?  Heat illness is bad and you want to avoid it.

4) Eat better.  Nutrition absolutely affects how your body works during exercise.

5) You are right, weight makes a difference to your legs.  You are slamming your body into the ground 100+ times a minute.  Obviously your legs will like it if your body weighs less.  Even 5 lbs can affect your pace.  But that is a problem that takes longer to solve.  You can try compression sleeves/socks to support your leg muscles while you run in the meantime.

Don't worry about your pace, just try to keep an even effort throughout the run.  You can push the pace when it gets cooler and/or when your body acclimates to the heat.

dafishman

1) Run on softer surfaces.  Concrete is the worst for your legs, followed by asphalt.  Packed dirt trails are the best, though you have to watch that the footing is even.  Run on grass sometimes if you can too.

2) Even though you were fitted for shoes, it could still be the shoes.  They may be too soft, too stiff, not cushioned enough, etc...  Shoes are a very personal thing and if you are wearing the wrong ones it can cause problems.

3) Heat and humidity definitely have an affect on how fast you can run.  Try running slower at the beginning and see how you feel.  Also, not sweating is a bad thing.  Are you drinking water during the run?  Getting electrolytes?  Heat illness is bad and you want to avoid it.

4) Eat better.  Nutrition absolutely affects how your body works during exercise.

5) You are right, weight makes a difference to your legs.  You are slamming your body into the ground 100+ times a minute.  Obviously your legs will like it if your body weighs less.  Even 5 lbs can affect your pace.  But that is a problem that takes longer to solve.  You can try compression sleeves/socks to support your leg muscles while you run in the meantime.

Don't worry about your pace, just try to keep an even effort throughout the run.  You can push the pace when it gets cooler and/or when your body acclimates to the heat.

Thanks for the response peaches!

I've only ran on a school track and our paved road, that's it.....

I never drink while I run, ever. I take a drink before I run and then when I finish I drink 1-2 bottles of water. It's weird trying to hold a water bottle and run, I have tried it and hated it.

I will start to eat better because i'm doing all this work for nothing.....Running 3-4 5k's a week and eating pizza and wings most nights I dont think is helping my cause...

SMART Approach

Weight is key factor. It I also think you need to slow down . My comfortable training pace is 2 min per mile slower than my 5K race pace. Do a nice warm walk. Do active warm up movement for legs. Give yourself some time to get your fitness back. It may take several months. You need to progress slowly and have patience or you will get injured and be laid up. Don't be afraid to take a 30-60 second walk break every 4-8 minutes. If taking pain killers at night, you are doing something wrong. Give yourself time and allow your body time to adapt to the stress of running. Even if thin, running is a stress. Need to be smart. Also, do your best to get healthier. You can't perform if at an unhealthy weight and with consistent bad food choices. That formula does not work. Good luck.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com