Portland Marathon (Read 721 times)

My Hero

I know this one is several months out and don't have my mileage where it needs to be to do San Diego in June, was thinking about doing Portland in Oct. Anyone here run this or planing to? It looks (website) like it is a well organized event. This would be bit of a run for nostalgia for me as I used to live in Portland several years ago and used to work less than a block from the starting line.

A Saucy Wench

I did it last year and will do it again this year. Race itself is well run, aid is good. The start line was a bit of a disaster as was the expo, but some of the start problems were due to heavy construction in downtown that should be a bit better this year I hope. Crowd size is about right - not so big that you are stuck in traffic for eons if you dont get right in your pace area, big enough that you never feel all alone out there

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dog-Love

I am considering Victoria, BC this October, because my friend wants to run a fast marathon and doesn't want to go to Nashville for the Monkey! I've heard good things about Portland.
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          I am considering Victoria, BC this October, because my friend wants to run a fast marathon and doesn't want to go to Nashville for the Monkey! I've heard good things about Portland.
          I did Victoria last year and was with my Aunt and Uncle who have done at least a dozen marathons. They said that Victoria was actually one of the slower courses that they have done. While there are no mega hills, the course does roll quite a bit. As it was the first marathon I have ever run I don't have anything to compare this to, and/or validate the comment. They said Portland is a much faster and flatter race. As well, they had a friend who had previously done BQ's in all his previous marathons, but missed it in the Victoria race. I myself am in deliberations of whether to do Victoria or Portland. This thread is of much interest to me.

A Saucy Wench

I did Victoria last year and was with my Aunt and Uncle who have done at least a dozen marathons. They said that Victoria was actually one of the slower courses that they have done. While there are no mega hills, the course does roll quite a bit. As it was the first marathon I have ever run I don't have anything to compare this to, and/or validate the comment. They said Portland is a much faster and flatter race. As well, they had a friend who had previously done BQ's in all his previous marathons, but missed it in the Victoria race. I myself am in deliberations of whether to do Victoria or Portland. This thread is of much interest to me.
            FWIW - Mens course record for Victoria is 2:16:49 while for portland its 2:17:21, however PDX has at least 10 finishes in sub 2:19:30 while Victoria has 2. However some of this might be that Portland attracts a fair number of Japanese runners and Victoria doesnt seem to...just from a brief perusal of history.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

kcam

I ran it in '99 but I think it's still pretty much the same course. One of the more enjoyable races I've run , thought it was a 'fast' course, was organized well, spectators will be few and far between when you're not in the downtown area (if that's a factor for you), but I wouldn't hesitate to run it again. Modified: Comments above are for the Portland marathon!

Dog-Love

Well a group of us from Alaska have registered for Victoria and are not planning to break any land speed records, are looking forward to a sea level marathon. I just happen to LOVE Canadians...and its mostly along the water. A much smaller croud than Portland which also translates to less croud support which is just fine with me. Next year I'll look at the Monkey.
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  The course was awesome... or was for the first 2 hours until rain and fog set in, effectively blocking the awesome stretch spent running along the coast. I loved Victoria and after hearing the few responses that have been posted, am pretty sure I'm going to do it again this year! Just looked online, and only 31 more days till the end of early registration which is $80 CAD. Now that the Victoria marathoners have successfully hijacked this thread, can anyone tell me/us why the Portland marathon would be the better choice?

A Saucy Wench

Now that the Victoria marathoners have successfully hijacked this thread, can anyone tell me/us why the Portland marathon would be the better choice?
                    For me? Because I live here and it is hard to travel with small kids to races. Better to let the family sleep in their own beds and maybe come down to the finish. Blush For you? Because you have already done Victoria? I've never run Victoria so I cant really compare. I would hardly call portland a flat run.

My Hero

I would hardly call portland a flat run.
                      I thought Portland was like totally flat until looking at the course elevation chart. It looks like there is two elevation gains that should be considered. The first gain starts @ mile (1) and climbs 115' for about 2 1/2 miles. This shouldn't be too bad, huh? Then, at mile (16), you climb 150' in just 1 1/2 miles before leveling out. This race without having run, my guess is this hill might be a bit of work coming so late in the race.

My Hero

Thought I would try and get this puppy (thread) up and running again. Come on guys... Let's have another show of hands on who's doing this. Need all the motivation I get get going into my official (18) week training cycle starting June 2nd. My mileage, due to getting sick and moving, suffered the last few weeks... I should be on track by next week going into the first week of training in the high 30's. I think part of my apprehension is the "real" summer is about to kick off here in Phoenix which means most of my runs are going to have to be done before the sun comes up. Tongue My plan will have me peak out around ( 52) mpw. My goal for this one is a BQ attempt @ 3:45. The strategy is to run a 3:40 pace through twenty allowing for a 5 min. fade for the last 10K.