Dangerous Hardcore Jogging (Read 384 times)

Did we not learn from Pheidippides?

Joann Y

His TED talk makes me want to vomit.

joescott

If running long is wrong,

I don't want to be right.

Favorite post!

I would expect no less from a guy named Joe.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

I can't even go back and watch that again.  Made me retch, too.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Joann Y

I can't even go back and watch that again.  Made me retch, too.

Yeah, sorry, couldn't help but post that again. Sort of fascinating to watch a creature like that in action.

Feeling the growl again

I think it's because he holds a contrarian opinion to commonly accepted wisdom.   It makes a good sound bite, and he will talk to the press promptly and enable them to hit deadlines--which is pretty much all some reporters care about (according to a doc media training session I was at last week).

He's an animal like Tim Noakes.  Crappy scientist, scoffed at by real scientists in their own field (I've read editorials about Noakes' work from other physiologists, scathing would be kind) but they have found a niche for themselves by releasing "data" which panders to the media, taking every interview, and making themselves look important by just being visible.

In today's internet and social media, being visible is more important than being right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

He's giving TED Talks a bad name (not that I watched).

noroll

I have a google news alert set for "running/jogging" and  the first page has been nothing but "running is bad" for the last week.

Kind of surprised how many picked up the story and just passed it along.

I thought this was good although it just confirms what you guys have said here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/upshot/no-more-running-probably-isnt-bad-for-you.html?abt=0002&abg=0

Don't bother me, I'm thinking.

Joann Y

I have a google news alert set for "running/jogging" and  the first page has been nothing but "running is bad" for the last week.

Kind of surprised how many picked up the story and just passed it along.

I thought this was good although it just confirms what you guys have said here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/upshot/no-more-running-probably-isnt-bad-for-you.html?abt=0002&abg=0

That was good. But too bad they had to publish this two days prior..  Slow Runners Come Out Ahead   They sort of redeemed themselves. Just really freaking annoying that they can't freaking think first.

lagwagon

I was here to mention the JACC editorial, which I thought was well done, but the Fortune article covers most of it.  Only to add that the authors refer to large observational data sets which do not lead to the same conclusion as the Danish data.

I think we need to be open to the possibility that there is a point where good becomes enough becomes too much.

But personally, I'm much more concerned about getting hit by a pickup on a bucolic country lane on a sunny day.

Feeling the growl again

I think we need to be open to the possibility that there is a point where good becomes enough becomes too much.

But personally, I'm much more concerned about getting hit by a pickup on a bucolic country lane on a sunny day.

I think most of us are, but not at such a ridiculously low level, and not by someone so clearly pushing an agenda and using really, really crappy "data".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mysecondnewname

I think most of us are, but not at such a ridiculously low level, and not by someone so clearly pushing an agenda and using really, really crappy "data".

That's an important point.

If we want to think scientifically about this topic, I think it's important that we keep an open mind as to the possibility that "too much of a good thing" when it comes to running might exist.

For me, the fairest statement is to say: "I don't know" when considering this question.  That doesn't mean I ain't going to do my mileage, but I'll try to keep an open mind about these things until some good evidence gets published.

Mysecondnewname

“2.4 hours of exercise is ridiculous if you’re trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon,” said study co-author James O’Keefe.

I'm thinking about printing that on my race singlet when I run Boston this year! 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/