Programmable watch recommendations? (Read 1146 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeff's intervals/speed thread has me wondering if it might be worth my "time" (heh...) to get a better watch for running. I like my simple, small stopwatch, but I don't think I can do a lot with programming it for timed interval speed workouts, which I REALLY need to start doing now that the weather is improving (slowly). Maybe I should think about upgrading? I don't want to spend a fortune or have some massive thing on my wrist (heh, vanity thy name is aversion to weird tan lines), but I would like something that is easy to use. Any recommendations?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I know there's a lot of hype about the 305 and 205 but last year I bought the Garmin 301 and think I will stick with it. In fact, I was thinking of buying a back-up 301 just in case mine bites the dust. Although it does have a bigger face, it's rectangular (so it lays long ways on your arm) and has a comfortable, easy -to-adjust velcro strap so I get a good fit. I've tried the 305 out for size and it's just too big for my tiny wrists. And yes, you can program intervals. Oh, it's a whole lot cheaper than the new 05 series. Smile Before the Garmin, I had a nike ladies running watch. It had a lot of nice features but I don't recall anything specific to intervals. It does have a lap counter, so everytime I hit a mile I could hit lap and it kept track of individual mile times. I'm guessing that you could use it in the same way for interval training.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Before the Garmin, I had a nike ladies running watch. It had a lot of nice features but I don't recall anything specific to intervals. It does have a lap counter, so everytime I hit a mile I could hit lap and it kept track of individual mile times. I'm guessing that you could use it in the same way for interval training.
        That's the thing I can't figure out--how to go back to look at the lap times. I'd like to use it in a race to see how I do for each mile, but I can't find my little manual and don't have a clue how to retrieve any lap recordings. k

~ Sarah Kay

I can't find mine right now. When I do, I'll see if I can remember. I know it has to do with one of the buttons on the left (as you're looking at it). But that doesn't really help, now does it? LOL! Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, mine's not a Nike, anyhow...it's a little Timex Marathon. I think I paid like $15 for it on campmor.com a year ago. I mostly liked it because it's a small watch with BIG, easy to read #s. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I have the Nike watch and I love it. It looks like a normal watch and it can save 43 laps (like I ever run that many!) The flat button on the left will read DATA and then you can scroll through your saved intervals. I am kinda lazy and just set my chrono to 0.00, run my lap and push the stop button.
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't want to spend a fortune or have some massive thing on my wrist (heh, vanity thy name is aversion to weird tan lines), but I would like something that is easy to use. Any recommendations?
                Well, I have to admit that the siren song of the Garmin 205/305 has been calling, but I would still recommend anything from the Timex Ironman Triathalon series, especially if you're not in the mood to spend a couple of hondos. I've been using a variant of this watch since 1986 and have no complaints (okay, there was that brief, torrid fling with a Casio, but it was never meant to be). Here's a link to some: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/search/search-product-list.jsp?browse=true&selectedPageNum=1&cache=false&id=cat230101&_requestid=163110 (okay, that doesn't work. just check their site..) Nowadays, these watches have 30~100 lap memories on the stopwatch. And they have 9-segment interval timers, which are very handy -- you can program a time-based interval workout, and you have the option to repeat the entire workout if you wish. A couple of examples on how I have used the interval timer: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/63e8546f5ed644f08fc2f2e0184358ae#focus http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/35d857e65a254e71aec806c282e52810#focus Oh,and as for the weird tan lines? C'mon -- that's a badge of honor for a runner! Wink Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A couple of examples on how I have used the interval timer: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/63e8546f5ed644f08fc2f2e0184358ae#focus http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/35d857e65a254e71aec806c282e52810#focus Oh,and as for the weird tan lines? C'mon -- that's a badge of honor for a runner! Wink Cheers, Jeff
                  That first thread was the inspiration for this one. Big grin I already get weird enough tan-likes from sunglasses, shorts, and a regular watch. Does that count? Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Would this help at all? Timex manual I'm not sure I understand those instructions, but maybe you will. It looks like that watch is the almost the same as mine (Predator Freestyle)...and all I do is after I'm all done with the laps (or splits) and hit stop, I hit the mode button. I go past the regular "chron" display, hitting "mode" one more time to get "chron recall". Then I hit the start/ stop button (upper rt) to see each lap. The bottom rt button (set) clears it out when i'm done. Not to sway you, but I've got the Garmin Forerunner 205 and have teeny tiny wrists and it doesn't bother me at all. Tan lines...well, nothin' I"ll be able to do about that. But- with the rebate and discount for buying with an Amazon card, I got it for what I've found the 201 averages...$109. The thing with me, though, is I'll be on trails with no way to track distance, which is why i got the thing. And even when I'm on the roads, I won't have to worry about it. The freedom is just unbelievable. Strap 'er on and go! You know you should get one. If we're going to be running through town together in our skirts, our wrists have got to look the same too!! (Translation: don't make me the only geeky lookin' one out there!) Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know you should get one. If we're going to be running through town together in our skirts, our wrists have got to look the same too!! (Translation: don't make me the only geeky lookin' one out there!) Big grin
                      Oh, my Camelbak is really all I need for the ultimate in "dork factor," really! Tongue I think I might put a Garmin on my Christmas list...I've already blown my running gear budget for a good long time. You know, my little watch doesn't appear to have any Chronometer functions. I'm not even certain why it has the "split" thingy, since it seems that there's no way to recall splits. I'm really thinking a very basic/cheap Ironman might be the way to go. Anyone have any opinions on this one?: Ironman 50-lap I think this is the official info from Timex. The price is right and I like the funky orange color. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Anyone have any opinions on this one?: Ironman 50-lap I think this is the official info from Timex.
                        That looks like a good choice, and the price is waayyyy right. This has the 9-segment interval timer I was talking about. Cheer, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Chris UK

Hopefully this is not too much of a hijack as it does address some of the issues in this thread - including tan lines Roll eyes Wink I have one of the older Garmins and I've found it works perfectly adequately in a cell phone holder when clipped onto the waistband of my shorts. I tend to use mine just to record my runs but it is still possible to check the readout should you need to. When I use my waterbelt on longer runs I clip it onto that but I do take the precaution of using the safety clip as well (although never had a problem yet). If buying a new watch you might want to check out the price of these older Garmin units (Amazon etc.) as they may not be that much dearer than some of the watches - with the obvious advantages over them.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If buying a new watch you might want to check out the price of these older Garmin units (Amazon etc.) as they may not be that much dearer than some of the watches - with the obvious advantages over them.
                            Hmmm...I may look into that option. I'd just want to make certain that it would work with my 'puter, right (Mac OS 10.4...)? That's another concern, would there likely be firmware updates for an older Garmin once OS 10.5 comes out? I don't want to buy a Garmin unit that won't work with any near-future computers or if we were to upgrade our current Mac. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another idea...does anyone know if that Nike+ iPod sports thingie can be used for time interval workouts or something to that effect? I have an iPod and a Mac, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues of any sort... k

~ Sarah Kay

Chris UK

In the case of the 101 that would not be a concern as it does not have computer connectivity. The other models do but I have no idea if Mac compatible - no doubt there would be info on the Garmin site/forums. Of course you could always get a proper real computer. Evil grin Incoming!! Big grin

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM