Could it be shin splits? (Read 463 times)

I've been running roughly 100 miles a month all year. I've been gradually increasing my mileage and long runs. My long runs recently have been 22 miles about 7 weeks ago and 21 miles a couple weeks ago. Some 20ish mile runs in there as well. I run all my miles on trails. Saturday I ran 24.75. I felt great until about mile 21 when my shin started hurting on my left leg. More on the sides and not the back or front so much. The more I ran on it the more it hurt so I stopped and walked most of the rest of the way back to my car. Even walking was somewhat painful but not nearly as bad. It hurt pretty bad Sat and Sun when I walked through the grocery store. I've been icing it and resting it. It doesn't hurt much anymore when sitting but is sore. When I flex my foot forward or back I feel it. Could it be shin splits or something worse? It wasn't red or swollen or anything. I haven't had shin splints since I first started running like 6 years ago. I'm not planning on running this week but have a long race in 3 weeks I'm hoping I don't have to miss. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated Smile
      I am no expert... Did you change anything? Like shoes?? Have you considered stress fractures?
        haven't change anything. my shoes I've been running in the for the past 150 miles. I certainly haven't ruled out a stress fracture yet...
        Scout7

Could be anything. Could be related to the terrain.
            That exact same thing happened to me this past week - the pain is more on the sides, and walking even hurt. My legs felt really stiff like concrete, and even stopping to stretch didn't help. I'm thinking shin splints. I took 5 days off of running based on "rest and stretch" info I found onilne, and today is my first day back. We'll see how it goes on my run after work tonight.
            "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong