Odd race time- What to eat in the morning??? (Read 432 times)

I am running a 10K tomorrow, that does not start until 10:30 AM. Undecided I am thinking this will throw off my normal plan of getting up, having a piece of peanut butter toast and heading out to the race site. I normally have that snack about 2 to 2 1/2 hours before the race time, with a small glass of water. With the 10:30 start, I am going to be hungry if I don't eat more in the morning. Should I have a larger breakfast at, say, 6:30-7:00? My thought is still to keep it easily digestible and light, but maybe 2 pieces of PB toast and a yogurt, or something like that?? I have to leave the house at about 7:00, since my wife is running the 5K which guns at 9:00. (Does that seem backwards to anyone else?) Anyone have experience with later starts? How do you handle day of race food in this situation? Thanks in advance for the input. Mike :

"I aim to misbehave."

I've done races that started in the late afternoon and even a couple at midnight. Just eat, not a ton, and stay with your plan of finishing eating a couple hours before the race.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hey, nice marmot!

I guess I don't understand why you can't just have your snack at 8 or 8:30. I do agree that a 10:30 start is a bit unusual.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

A Saucy Wench

I would eat a small breakfast at 6 and then your normal snack at 8

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I guess I don't understand why you can't just have your snack at 8 or 8:30. I do agree that a 10:30 start is a bit unusual.
            I just know myself. If I don't eat more than that at some point, I will be thinking about how hungry I am, instead of racing. Thanks for the feedback, folks.

"I aim to misbehave."

JakeKnight

Just whatever you do, err on the side of eating too little. Don't eat too much. It's only a 10k. You can run it fine hungry. You cannot run it fine stuffed full of roast beef and onion sandwiches. Not that I've ever done that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------