How am I supposed to feel after a workout? (Read 219 times)

I think you are racing your training runs.  This is counter productive.  At 25 Miles a week and 10 min average daily pace, I'd think your 10k would be closer to 50 min than 60.  For as few weeks just forget the pace, leave the watch at home, and just get your miles in.  Also try reducing that water intake to maybe 8 oz..

Gizmo2019

I think you are racing your training runs.  This is counter productive.  At 25 Miles a week and 10 min average daily pace, I'd think your 10k would be closer to 50 min than 60.  For as few weeks just forget the pace, leave the watch at home, and just get your miles in.  Also try reducing that water intake to maybe 8 oz..

Yes I am racing them bc I train with my 3.5 yo with me.after his snacks and tv shows which is about 15-20 min into my run (sometimes less) he starts walking around asking me questions and trying to do elliptical. There goes my mind set. So I gotta finish fast.

ok I’m about to go out for my “long run.” I think I’ll try 5.5 today. Slow. 🤞I’ll reduce water. Thanks!

Gizmo2019

I logged in my stats on this site. Hopefully I did it correctly. I only logged my long runs for now. During the week was usually always 3 days of 5k run under 30. And 1 day of 2 mile hill intervals, for 20 min.

but I put everything on hold in June/July so I’m basically starting from scratch.

my long run yesterday i stopped at 5.5 mi. I felt like I could maybe do another .5 to 1 mile. But did have some minor cramping that went away after about 1-2 hrs. Definite improvement. I ran that in 1H1min and last weeks 6 miler was run in 1H5min (probably too fast for me!).

my husband created an 8 week plan for my upcoming 10k race that is in between Hal Higdons novice and intermediate. During the week I don’t run further than 4-5 mi (if I’m able to with my kid w me). I’m taking 2 days off per week and the long run increases 1 mile per week, ending at 8 the week before the race.

any thoughts on if this is too much? I think I can input the plan and try to share it here if anyone’s interested.

hopefully life won’t interrupt and I can follow the plan as much as possible.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Can’t your husband watch the kids a few times a week so you can run?

this is 2019 not the 50’s

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Gizmo2019

Can’t your husband watch the kids a few times a week so you can run?

this is 2019 not the 50’s

😂

I think you or someone else asked me this already. 😀

we are actually both pretty old fashioned compared To the young whipper schnappers these days. However he would watch them no problem, the issue is time. He’s gone by 6am sometimes earlier and not back till about 6ish pm...

by then, I’m spent (don’t think I could run in the evening). Then it’s dinner, homework, family time, bedtime.

Besides that, I have no problem with our current roles.

Ive begrudgingly resolved recently that I just can’t be a “runner” right now or at least progress the way I want to till my youngest is in school next year. I’ve been pretty stubborn about this but finally realized I need more weekday time. Weekends my husbands home and he can watch them but we have other life things going on. I honestly don’t know how other parents with small kids train for marathons...they are magic. Whereas we fortunately and unfortunately only have each other...

but i just Want to get thru this race. At least get the experience of A race. And do the marathon in 2 years if I’m still alive! In the meantime I plan to run/train as much as life allows me. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess I lost for now (trying to fight against life and all its events)!

Stop.

Put yourself in Hal Higdon's novice plan's hands.

He'll get you there.

agreed

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

😂

but i just Want to get thru this race. At least get the experience of A race. And do the marathon in 2 years if I’m still alive! In the meantime I plan to run/train as much as life allows me. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess I lost for now (trying to fight against life and all its events)!

Its been less than a week since you first posted this question and already having these thoughts.  Maybe you don't enjoy running right now for running's sake, or are too stressed about your goal.  Step back and re evaluate what it is you are expecting out of running. If you set yourself a goal, you can always change it to a more realistic one for you current situation.  You are faster than more than 90% of people of out there who don't run.  You are faster than most of my runs and I've been at this game for more than 12 years now

Races to me are a motivation to keep pushing myself, but if that is doing the opposite and killing my desire to run, then maybe i'd give up on the race and run it another time.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The race in October is a 10k, right? You can do that. There is no perfect training. Everyone on this board deals with issues from time to time with fitting in the runs, the mental game, being tired, etc. Happyfeat is right about thinking what you want from running and that definition can change. Maybe what you need right now is different that what you'll need in a year when your youngest goes to school.

I'm not sure where you are, but I'm a big fan of parkrun 5k. It's a free one that you can take your kids to on Saturday mornings. That might be another option for you.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gizmo2019

Its been less than a week since you first posted this question and already having these thoughts.  Maybe you don't enjoy running right now for running's sake, or are too stressed about your goal.  Step back and re evaluate what it is you are expecting out of running. If you set yourself a goal, you can always change it to a more realistic one for you current situation.  You are faster than more than 90% of people of out there who don't run.  You are faster than most of my runs and I've been at this game for more than 12 years now

Races to me are a motivation to keep pushing myself, but if that is doing the opposite and killing my desire to run, then maybe i'd give up on the race and run it another time.

I started running about 20 yrs ago and was on and off as life allowed it. I finally was able to commit to it just last year with an actual goal in mind. The goal was completing a marathon (or 2). I was never really interested in smaller races but my husband encouraged me to start slower and see what it’s like. So while I am complaining I’m still excited about the 10k. What scares me is having the time to train properly without interruptions (me or kids getting sick, travel, etc).

my long term goal is completing 1-2 marathons within time (I don’t care too much about a finishing time just hoping within 5 hrs and not 59:59!).

for this one year that I’ve been training for the marathon the first few months went great but then Illnesses and life etc. it really brought me down bc I saw how much fitness you could lose after weeks of not running. It’s discouraging. I also learned I couldn’t properly increase my miles with my preschooler w me.

The thing I’ve been stubborn with is training for and completing a marathon in 2019 (thus my login name). Everyone kept saying just put it off, put it off. And I refused. The thing I’m giving up on is training for a marathon. I’ve realized I can’t train with the kid with me (during the week). My issue is TIME. I need 2-3 hrs to myself per day to do this.

ive learned A LOT thru you all. I’ve learned I can’t rush thru training. But still have questions along the way. I think I’ve figured out that the reason for my stomach cramping is due to rushing thru a workout. Going too fast.

i don’t know yet if I’ll be big on many races. My marathon goal has been to finish. My 10k has always been a time goal bc it’s short.

i did “announce” that after this 10k race that I plan to keep running at least to maintain my base until I can get the time to properly train. But you are right that I am truly stressing about my goal.

after a marathon, my plan is to run for leisure as long as I can. I enjoy It when there’s no pressure.

Gizmo2019

Wasn’t sure if I was clear or not bc as you can see I’m a rambler.

but the thing I’m giving up on is not listening to ppl telling me to postpone my marathon goal. That’s all. So now I’m looking at racing a marathon in 2021. 😓

The issue with that is I don’t know how I’ll age by then, where in life I’ll be..but so be it, right?

at least I’ll have this 10k.

thanks Canadianmeg. I’m sure we have free races with kids around my area too. I’ll look into that.

After the 10k I think I’ll just maintain and maybe increase long run miles super slow if it doesn’t bother my body....

good to know I’m not alone. The way everyone talks it seems like you all have all the time in the world to run!! But not true, I know.

GME

Put the toddler in a playpen (Are they still called that? My youngest is 23) or a high chair so he can't wander and you can focus. Or get a jogging stroller and go out somewhere.

Gizmo2019

Put the toddler in a playpen (Are they still called that? My youngest is 23) or a high chair so he can't wander and you can focus. Or get a jogging stroller and go out somewhere.

It’s “pack N play” now. I think putting a kid in a “pen” (cage) offended people. 😉. Mines gone now..youngest is 3.5. So he could climb out of it. The treadmill I use is in a community clubhouse. I used to strap him to the stroller but upgraded to a kids lawn chair. He loves it. He can slip out of the belted stroller now anyway. I just came up with the idea of having lollipops on me when I do anything longer than 30 min. Some days he’s dazed enough by Daniel tiger (a kids tv show) that he ll actually sit there for 30 min. Love those days...poor kid tho ❤️❤️😁.

no jogging stroller!! I already thought of that. I’m done with buying baby equipment!!! I’m trying to get rid of things not adding to it! 😀

seriously tho, I don’t think that’d work for ME to feel like I’m getting better and faster. Plus I need that “alone” time and I’m too wimpy to push something heavy AND run well at the same time.

Get him riding a 2 wheeler and keep up with mom!

300m- 37 sec.

Gizmo2019

Get him riding a 2 wheeler and keep up with mom!

Yes! I like this idea!!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

What about getting a used treadmill for you house.

look on your local Facebook yard sale groups

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes