Runner cuts course in Florida HM, places 2nd, later finishes the course by bike, apologizes only after being caught by a marathon investigator. Do you accept the apology? (Read 268 times)

undue monkey

I'll admit that was interesting. But he didn't do it over the internet (granted he did it in response to an investigation that started on the internet) and the trans-US record seems like a bigger deal than some woman running a 1:21 half marathon.

1:21 half 11.6 mile marathon. Big difference.

mikeymike

1:21 half 11.6 mile marathon. Big difference.

True. First hand knowledge: that's a brisk Lynnfield loop vs. a white knuckled race effort when pretty fit.

Runners run

dallison

registered pw

Little do they know how difficult a downhill marathon can be.

I found it interesting.  I was discussing this with my wife last night, just not being able to comprehend why someone would cheat.

Then again, I'm signed up for a huge downhill marathon this spring (it drops over 5,000') hoping to get a BQ out of that.  I regularly tell people who don't even care that essentially I'm cheating by running the downhill course to qualify, but I am doing it to qualify.  The race sold out this year in only it's 2nd year because so many people who ran it last year BQ'd.

To me this will probably be my PR marathon and I'm not sure whether to include it or not as a PR.

It's all Boston's fault!!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

DoppleBock

Say good-bye to your quads

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This ought to help.

npaden

Back to the original topic it would be fun for some folks to get together with a race director and a photographer and intentionally setup some BQ qualifying time with a guy in a flying monkey suit or something just to mess with the dude that thinks he is the internet BQ qualifier sleuth.

Maybe a big group of folks crossing the finish line all at exactly 5 minutes on the dot ahead of their BQ time for a bunch of different age groups.  Maybe throw in a picture of a dog crossing the finish line with several different bibs spaced apart by different age and gender BQ times.  Get the official race photographer to charge big money for the detective to get the pictures of the dog.

Maybe someone smart could figure out something humorous.

So then we would have the sick folks who are cheating in the first place, then the kind of odd dude that gets off catching them, and then some real sickos just messing with the odd dude.

LOL.  I crack myself up sometimes.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I think you underestimate the "sleuth".

Back to the original topic it would be fun for some folks to get together with a race director and a photographer and intentionally setup some BQ qualifying time with a guy in a flying monkey suit or something just to mess with the dude that thinks he is the internet BQ qualifier sleuth.

Maybe a big group of folks crossing the finish line all at exactly 5 minutes on the dot ahead of their BQ time for a bunch of different age groups.  Maybe throw in a picture of a dog crossing the finish line with several different bibs spaced apart by different age and gender BQ times.  Get the official race photographer to charge big money for the detective to get the pictures of the dog.

Maybe someone smart could figure out something humorous.

So then we would have the sick folks who are cheating in the first place, then the kind of odd dude that gets off catching them, and then some real sickos just messing with the odd dude.

LOL.  I crack myself up sometimes.

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

npaden

I think you underestimate the "sleuth".

Oh I have no doubt he would figure it out, it would just be fun to mess with him.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I just dont think it would be messing with a single individual. More like an angry mob of sleuths. Regardless, cheaters are caught all the time. Personally, I appreciate the cheater and the dog catcher. Both have a roll in my entertainment consumption.

Oh I have no doubt he would figure it out, it would just be fun to mess with him.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

(edit)

FFS

Dream Maker

And from my actual account, not my husband's even after I specifically logged him out and typed in my own info

FFS

I don't think it's okay, but chick never owed *me* an apology to accept or refuse.  

We have liars on a bigger stage in this country I'm personally more concerned about.

Feeling the growl again

This.  The faster you run, the less a downhill race helps you.  So the steeper the race, the slower you have to be to benefit from it.

Steamtown destroyed my quads in 7 miles at ~2:24 pace.  Hell of a long way to jog it in from there on tenderized legs.

Except for Mike Wardian, who took it in stride and ran well again at Detroit the next weekend.  Freak.

Cheaters suck.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

beat

Break on through

Yes.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."