Chicago anyone? (Read 846 times)

vicentefrijole

Who's running the Chicago Marathon this year? Anyone? Big grin I am but I pulled my hamstring a couple weeks ago... Sad feeling a bit better, but we'll see how it goes. Anyway, it should be a good race.. so long as it doesn't rain!
      Weather looks a little tough, Vincente. 45 and rain--not bad for running but terrible for the pre-race logistics and standing around waiting. I guess you could try the large garbage bag with a hole for your head for pre-race and, literally, trash it at the gun. My sister will be there. So if you bump into trishytrish in a sea of 40,000 runners, say "Hi!" Good luck with your race, hope your hammy holds up.

Runners run

vicentefrijole

Hey, the trashbag idea is a good one! I could even run with it for a few miles until I get REALLY warmed up. Yeah, I'm hoping for a light drizzle at the worst... I can handle that. It's the all-out downpours that really cause problems (blisters, etc). Plus, with the Chicago wind, a little rain can get pretty chilly. Good luck to trishytrish! I might miss her, so I'll say "hi" right now. Big grin
        vicentefrijole

Oops... double post.
            How did it go, Vicente? Looks like the weather held out. My sis ran 3:52 for a big PR. Hope your race went well.

Runners run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

MC, that video made its way around my office this a.m., holy cow that's a hard hit. Who knew the finish line was made of ice? Sounds like he will make a full recovery but, damn, add a brain hemorrhage to the normal marathon recovery. I guess the six figure paycheck he'll collect in winnings and bonuses will take away some of the sting.

Runners run

JakeKnight

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=27042@wbbm.dayport.com&cid=33
                That's just wrong, man. And I *really* wanted to slap the shit out of the dork who kept wondering if he'd crossed the finish line. Wonder how many Chicago lawyers call Cheruiyot's camp, and how long that first call took? I'd guess 47, and 19 minutes. On the plus side, there were no flying monkeys.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's just wrong, man. And I *really* wanted to slap the shit out of the dork who kept wondering if he'd crossed the finish line.
                  He did officially win, right? 'Cause if it's decided that he was disqualified I will hop in my car and drive to the other side of Lake MI to kick someone's ass. Anyone who can run a full marathon in less time than I will likely run half that distance deserves to win. What an amazing performance! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yes, he won. Actually his feet landed on the timing mat so it's not even a technicality. His body was laying ON the finish line and his feet hit the timing mat to record his time, so when his head hit the pavement he had won the race.

Runners run

vicentefrijole

How did it go, Vicente? Looks like the weather held out. My sis ran 3:52 for a big PR. Hope your race went well.
                      A mini race report: It went pretty well! My goal was a Boston Qualifier (3:10 for my age) so I went out keeping my pace at 7:10-7:15/mile. I held that until around mile 18 but then a number of things pulled me down: strong cold winds, stomach cramping (I'm still struggling with figuring out how to balance gel/liquid consumption), and just overall fatigue. Really the fatigue was the main thing (of course!) and I think it was a little worse than I had hoped because I didn't run for a couple weeks at the end of last month due to my hamstring pull. The hamstring turned out pretty okay, but I think I lost a lot in those weeks. So it goes! After mile 20, I could tell I wasn't going to get back on pace so I just toughed it out with a 'new' goal of sub-3:30. I managed to get across in 3:22... not a PR but a successful race nonetheless! Big grin This is my third (ran Chicago for the first last year) and each time I learn a LOT more. A friend of mine ran and completed his first marathon in 4:20! I was a little worried about him before because he'd had some knee problems, but he ran the whole was very strong! Now for the fun part... where we get to talk about it for weeks on end and take in the awe of our friends. Wink
                      vicentefrijole

Right.. I'm pretty sure they declared him the winner. It's really very sad for him, but as long as he's alright, it will make a great story he can tell his grand-children. Not to make light of his injury, but I wonder if this is the first time someone has crossed the finish line unconscious? From what I can tell, he hit his head and then kept sliding over the line! If there's any blame to be placed, it should go on the stupid marketing executives who decided they needed to put the marathon logo in the finishing line photo. You can see in the video how they hurridly move those plastic/paper panels aside when they realize how dangerous they are! Ridiculous.
                        Yes, he won. Actually his feet landed on the timing mat so it's not even a technicality. His body was laying ON the finish line and his feet hit the timing mat to record his time, so when his head hit the pavement he had won the race.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now for the fun part... where we get to talk about it for weeks on end and take in the awe of our friends. Wink
                          As you should! My friends are in awe that I am doing a HM. I am in awe of those who do full marathons and more. *bows down* I'm sorry you didn't BQ, but it's just more reason to keep on keepin' on! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

As you should! My friends are in awe that I am doing a HM.
                            HMs are great! I think that might be my favorite distance. And PLENTY awe inspiring, too! My life is about to get a lot more busy (changes at work) so I'm going to have to lay off the marathons for a little while.. it's very time consuming. That's the part the amazes me the most about the ultra runners... it's such a HUGE time commitment (but well worth it I'm sure). Anyways, I think I'll set my sites on a few HMs in the future. And maybe even a virtual 5K one of these days! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

Vincente, Great job at pulling out a terriffic "plan B" race! In my line of running, I find it's good to always have a plan b, c and maybe even a d...EVEN ON LONG TRAINING RUNS! My interest in road marathons isn't particularly high, but there are a few I would like to try someday....Chicago is on that list (Boston, St Georges, Dublin, Himalayas 100 Mile Stage Race & Everest Challenge Marathon...) Great job at Chicago! Good luck with the changes at work. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)