Caster Semenya (Read 229 times)

paul2432

The politics of Ms. Semenya and a MtF transitioned athlete are different.  Caster was born female (has female genitalia) so by conventional wisdom is female and should be able to compete female.  Many religious conservatives who would be against transitioned athletes should support her competing female (but don't because she's black, which is a separate issue).  Anyone who thinks race is not a factor in this is deluding themselves.  If she was an attractive white woman we would not be having this discussion.

I think the situation is complicated and sad, and doesn't lend itself to any solution that satisfies all parties.

T Hound

Slower but happier

No worries, for the integrity of the sport we can just force our kids to have chromosome analysis, testosterone tests, and take medication or surgery.  We can all speculate on their genitals over social media.  If they don’t want to comply, then they can go play with the boys.  Problem solved.  Black and white.  No can of worms Here.    (Additional sarcasm and hyperbole included free of charge)

And then there's this at the high school level. Connecticut high school athletes file complaint over transgender policy (Hartford Courant)

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Ross Tucker (he did the 2016 Joanna Harper interview mentioned above) has a lot of detailed articles on the Castor Case going back since 2009 up to this June 19 CAS decision on SportScientists.com.  Highlighting interesting point some which have been brought up here and others not so much.  Also, delving in to the court case in detail.  He was an expert witness for Castor in the recent arbitration against IAFF.

I had assumed the scientific proof of Intersex (DSD) advantage due to elevated Testosterone levels was indisputable fact and not a “Just So” story based on equating intersex with transgender male to female or women to XY men.  Like all of this debate, turns out not to be so simple:

https://sportsscientists.com/2019/05/on-dsds-the-theory-of-testosterone-performance-the-cas-ruling-on-caster-semenya/

I find his argument compelling.  The podcast therein is also a good listen for this point of view.

For discussion on the arguments in Casors case specifically are also insightful:

Full text website link to discussion of June 19th CAS ruling.

I excerpted the conclusion but the whole article definitely  worth a look:

“ It all leaves me feeling really uneasy. A DSD is not a Trans MTF athlete. By the very nature of having a DSD, they do not develop typically as males. So take the case of 5-ARD, which the CAS verdict makes clear is a big issue here. The IAAF argue that they are “biologically indistinguishable…in all relevant aspects”.

<figure>

What they mean by this is that with the exception of the external genitalia, which may be ambiguous or female, leading to the identification of a person as female at birth, a person with 5-ARD is biologically male and should thus compete as a male for the purposes of sport.

That’s the theory. But my position is that if you’re going to impose on someone a new biological reality at the age of say 18, because they happen to be a fast female runner, then you had better be really, really sure that it’s necessary. And so until you can establish that having 5-ARD does not affect any other physiology that may impact on sport, I can’t see how you can move so swiftly towards labeling someone male (even if you do say you accept their gender identity), and then prescribing possibly harmful drugs to them? That’s why more research into 5-ARD is required – does the absence of DHT affect any physiology that may have sporting implications? If the answer is “we don’t know” or “maybe”, then you absolutely have to hit pause and assess what those implications are before you continue.

The same is true, even more emphatically, for PAIS (Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome). This occurs is a person who cannot, by definition, use testosterone. So on what basis is that person being treated as having performance advantages that are the same as biological male who does not have PAIS? The fact that the DSD Regulations names and treats five conditions without discerning that they may not all have performance implications is a problem to me.

This is why the “numbers matter” – the policy is not benign. It’s potentially catastrophic and damaging. The most powerful testimony of the whole case came from Drs Payoshni Mitra and Lih-Mei Liao, who spoke of the challenges in dealing with DSD cases in a clinical setting, let alone the sporting one. DSD women are different from trans MTF in many respects, past, present and future, and I’m not comfortable with a Regulation that treats them equally, using medical protocols that are not known to be safe, and not chosen by the athlete.

Anyway, that’s that for now. The most complex issue in sport isn’t going away, so perhaps the appeal process will bring it back into view.

Ross”

</figure>

Isn't she supposedly more XXY.... or just naturally high testosterone and female... or both sexes kind of.

A POINT i HAVEN'T HEARD DISCUSSED...

While she is dominating the 800m...,

she has not broken the world record...

I'm not sure who has the record, whether they were clean/dirty etc...

but I do find it somewhat funny we're bashing Caster... for dominating a woman's sport, when meanwhile she doesn't have the WR. I'm not sure how close she has ever come either...I know she has tried for it a time or 2...

perhaps she sandbags....all the time to not break it??

I don't blame Caster for not being willing to take synthetic hormones to lower her natural*? testosterone levels to "normal female levels"

also while she may have elite testosterone levels...she may  be lower in other areas....and if those were lowered she may no longer even be near elite...

I kind of think of it like they have said about lactate...some elites it's suspected can operate and really high lactate levels....while some other elites don't go as high....but are able to clear the lactate at elite levels...

300m- 37 sec.

T Hound

Slower but happier

First, I am no expert but here is what Ive learned so far about her condition. My understanding is Castors condition is “46 XY DsD.”  The DsD means disorders of sexual development.  This group of conditions is also referred to as “intersex” sometimes.

These are a group of disorders of varying androgen (including testosterone)  sensitivity  with elevated testosterone  levels in the blood above the female range.

These individuals have a range of sensitivity (or responsiveness) to testosterone.  The condition CAIS is completely unresponsiveness (so no argument that the excess testosterone could be a benefit, it cannot act even though it is elevated).

Then there is partial androgen sensitivity(PAIS).  A third condition often mentioned in this group is 5-alpha reductase deficiency.  This is basically lack of ability to convert testosterone to the hormone DHT.  This hormone is involved in sexual differentiation. This situation an individual will have XY and undescended testis and elevated levels of testosterone but often normal external female genitalia.

I have read it is speculated that she has 5 alpha reductase deficiency type of DsD. I do not understand how that is know vs the other condition.  I believe we know she has elevated testosterone (but not the level) because she was “forcibly” tested after the Berlin World Championship 2009, at age 18 and this information was leaked to the public (by some accounts before she knew it).  But someone correct me if I am wrong.  Because she is affected by the recent IAFF guidelines we can say her testosterone level is above 5 ng/ml which is their threshold.

She has not ever volunteered her chromosomal sex or testosterone level to the public.  She was raised as a female.

Edited.

paul2432

The women’s 800 meter WR was set in 1983 by Jarmila Kratochvílová and is considered one of the most drug tainted records in sports.

“46 XY DsD.”

So, she has a Y chromosome.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

T Hound

Slower but happier

At least the part that matters. Most of it is junk.

“46 XY DsD.”

So, she has a Y chromosome.

So this 46 XY dsd seems to be very advantageous to women middle distance runners. I just found out that all the medalists in the Rio Women's 800m are 46 XY dsd.

Image result for 46 xy dsd cator semenya wambui

bioguy

The Olympics required female athletes to verify "femininity" for a while via the "naked walk" in which they paraded unclothed past judges. This was replaced by a test examining cells for BarrBodies which are X chromosomes that have compacted and become inactivated. Then, that was replaced by making karyotopes, a picture of the full complement of chromosomes from a cell. Now, the present test is for testosterone.

If you want to give it a try, here is a link to an educational activity I have my students do in AP Biology class.

http://media.hhmi.org/biointeractive/click/gendertest/gendertest.html

The Olympics required female athletes to verify "femininity" for a while via the "naked walk" in which they paraded unclothed past judges. This was replaced by a test examining cells for BarrBodies which are X chromosomes that have compacted and become inactivated. Then, that was replaced by making karyotopes, a picture of the full complement of chromosomes from a cell. Now, the present test is for testosterone.

If you want to give it a try, here is a link to an educational activity I have my students do in AP Biology class.

Great link.  Thanks for posting that.  The problem is more complicated than just having the XY chromosomes vs XX.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thanks.  Interesting to see a course on sex verification and T levels, will check that out.

She went 1:55:57 at Prefontaine recently to win the 800.

Apparently, with Castor the way it went down was she was pulled aside in Berlin 2009 and they did pelvic exam and blood testing then info “leaked” by a misspent fax.  So genital inspection while officially gone was apparently not.  I did find a New Yorker Article from that era that is very interesting looking at how she was used by the South African Coaches and misused by Race officials.

No doubt there’s an advantage.  No one knows how much.   Saying it’s the 10-12% that men have is spurious because their pathways downstream of testosterone aren’t all functional.  This is always coupled with “well they’re just really crappy male runners”.   Again  hand waving. Who the hell knows for sure what the advantage is.  Given the number of conditions DsD encompasses and it’s rarity I think it will be unlikely we will know.  I don’t claim to have an answer.

We we do know from from comparisons of highest tertile of female competitors testosterone vs the lowest tertile  in a study of 22 track and field  events found that the higher level testosterone atheletes only outperformed lowest third in 5 out of 22 events.   These 5 ranged between 400-1500 m.  BMJ article link.  (Oh, forgot the hammer throw was in there too-don’t want to piss them off!)  The magnitude of advantage in the above study was cited around 1.5-3 % for the running events for women with upper third of T levels.  But these are not DSDs though it is the basis of the IAAF rule.

Surly,   What strikes me about that picture is who is not in that group.  Why no DSDs dominating pure explosive strength event like sprinting? Why  only 5 of 22 events for the almighty testosterone advantage?   Given the rarity of DsD, it seems improbable that there is not something unique about the distances 400-1500 with respect to their advantage.  Somebody who understands those race distances chime in.

And so we are left with this blizzare situation where these individuals can run as women in most events and men in the 400-1500. Lol.

Now, I will go do my AP biology assignment from above.  Someday we all will have gene array analysis which will give us a “correction” factor based on our genetic advantage and disadvantages, but the devil will all be in the details even so.

T-Hound; I think we all concur that these runners do not fall into either the "female" or "male" categories, but a mixture of both. AND that they should be allowed to compete. The issue at hand would be how to classify them for competition that is fair to other contestants, and perhaps a 3rd category or asterisk is needed. Something like;

1st, Women's 800m: Jane Doe*, 1:57.43

*46 XY DsD

Kind of like "wind aided" added to sprint times, or a footnote saying a time was achieved when an athlete was later found to be doping, like Ben Johnson. Creating a 3rd category is a ridiculous idea. The IAAF arriving at it's "solution" is unfair, but it is more fair than other options (banning, requiring them to compete as men, etc). They really have a no-win situation on their hands.

It is weird that few have shown up in the sprints, throws and jumps, all explosive strength-oriented events. That's a study in it's own right.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just see an empty red page. Is that a test of some kind?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just see an empty red page. Is that a test of some kind?

Do you also see a large grey box in the upper left hand corner asking to run Adobe Flash?  I think you have to five the page permission by clicking on that to see the content.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.