treadmill impact? (Read 947 times)

I'm trying to bring up mileage without bringing back shin problems. My YMCA membership activated September 1 and I'm going to run on the treadmill twice a week there. Does anyone have an opinion about using treadmills as a "softer" surface than pavement? Obviously stretching and icing are key for me. But I wonder if some treadmill running will help.

The Greatest of All Time

I used the treadmill all last winter. They are softer than pavement so it was a shock to start running outside again. But they work.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

I run for Fried Chicken!

They are definitely softer than running outside. I run mainly on a treadmill and I do feel the difference when I run outside.
        TJoseph

Treadmills are definately softer. I have had problems with shin splints in the past. Mine were caused by the wrong shoes for my severely pronated feet. The surface I was running on didn't seem to have much to do with it.

Half Fanatic #846

I always try to do some running on both the TM and outside. When I had shin splints, and now for my PF I run a lot more on the treadmill - it's a lot easier on the body. When I go to the gym, I test the footbeds on the treadmills there and will use the "springiest" one. Cool

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I'm trying to bring up mileage without bringing back shin problems.
              Try doing toe raises (30 straight ahead, 30 toes pointed out, 30 toes pointed in - or whatever you can handle and build up to that) or heel walking (again, straight ahead, toes out, toes in). You can do similar for heel raises to strengthen calves. TM are usually softer than paved roads, but may not be as soft as trails. I think TM vary in their softness, at least it seems that way to me, although I don't use them that much. A problem with tm is the straight ahead all the time and no curves. I usually have to go run a twisty trail after running too much straight stuff - or spend a lot of time stretching. Much easier to just run a trail.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've done a lot of running on them and would agree that TMs are kinder on your joints than pavement in terms of impact, but I'm not so sure it's wise to ONLY run on them. I find the motion of running outside much more natural and perhaps healthier for the joints. I love my TM, don't get me wrong, but to be honest, I'm starting to wonder if TMs contribute to repetitive motion overuse injuries due to being locked into one speed/gait, etc. for long runs, etc. My favorite surface is light gravel/dirt roads!
                ~ Fly ~
                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                veggies on the run
                  As a general rule, I dont like treadmills but thats because I much prefer to go out unless the weather is simply too bad......... That being said, I have run on treadmills (at our local Y) and find them like everyone esle stated - there isn't as much impact. I have noted that they are great for building you mileage also for the same reason.....and they beat the heck out of running in the rain..... By brother in law only only runs on treadmills and is in very good shape...he prefers this to running on the streets... If it helps you then do it....... Smile Big grin Wink HEY MAPLYFLY --- how is your injury -- are you imporving?????

Champions are made when no one is watching

Just be sure to put the belt at at least 1° incline to prevent hyperextending your back. That will force you to lean forward a little. I never go with less than a 2° incline. You might be interested in reading this article I wrote about the differences between running on a treadmill vs running outside: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/07/20/track-vs-treadmill-whats-the-difference.html

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Just be sure to put the belt at at least 1° incline to prevent hyperextending your back. That will force you to lean forward a little. I never go with less than a 2° incline. You might be interested in reading this article I wrote about the differences between running on a treadmill vs running outside: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/07/20/track-vs-treadmill-whats-the-difference.html
                      My personal experience does not follow this line of reasoning. I have checked my form while running on the TM and I can't say that I've ever been leaning backwards. Note that a 1% incline will be harder than running outside because there's a lack of air movement causing you to overheat faster. If the TM deck is overly springy, I find that that has a negative impact on my performance. There will be a transition period from TM to road or vica versa. Legs and hips will feel it.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Hoping to Run Again :-(

HEY MAPLYFLY --- how is your injury -- are you imporving?????
                        not to hi-jack but... Hey John, aren't you a sweetie for asking. I'm feeling a lot better actually. All of my stretching and rest is paying off. I've started a tiny bit of running again but I'm not back to 100% for sure. I hid my log cause it's just plain depressing. I was doing so well and then BAM! Sad
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run
                          I find the transition from treadmill to outside is very difficult, I train based on HR and I have difficulties on a treadmill to get my HR's to match my outdoor HR's at the same paces. I like the treadmill as a recovery where my HR is just about 120 for an hour while watching some TV and don't worry about it much anymore!
                            Blaine, re: your link - our gym has a treadmill that you can run downhill on to - 5% grade. I believe it was a Procor or Life Fitness model.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

not to hi-jack but... Hey John, aren't you a sweetie for asking. I'm feeling a lot better actually. All of my stretching and rest is paying off. I've started a tiny bit of running again but I'm not back to 100% for sure. I hid my log cause it's just plain depressing. I was doing so well and then BAM! Sad
                              I figured that was why your log disappeared.....I have had so many running injuries that I am always concerned about people that have them........You'll get back soon............ Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

The Greatest of All Time

I ran over 1000 miles on a treadmill this winter/spring and never adjusted the angle....no back problems here, but YMMV.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.