Socks for cold toes (Read 1413 times)

I live and run in Athens, Georgia and believe it or not it does get cold here! This morning it was 22 degrees (F) with wind chill down to 11 degree (F) and very windy. Naturally, I was out there running, but my toes get cold. I need to invest in some good running socks, but want some advice / suggestions. Thanks! Carole (a relatively new runner)
    2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SMARTWOOLS! I love them. I haven't worn anything else since I discovered them. Even in temps below 0ยบ my feet stay relatively warm. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

And these. did

And these. did
          Oh yeah, I used to use these for snowboarding.
          2009: BQ?
            Thanks!!! Carole Smile
            2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
            mikeymike

Keeping your toes warm has very little to do with your socks. When your core is cold, your body reduces circulation to your feet. Keep your core warm and your toes will be warm. If your toes are cold you'd be better off putting a hat on your head or another layer on your upper body. Today it was 2F, -20F windchill and I ran in the same ultra thin socks I wear year round. My toes were fine.

Runners run

Today it was 2F, -20F windchill and I ran in the same ultra thin socks I wear year round. My toes were fine.
                Fortunately I had already decided that today would be an off day for me but after waking at 5:00 and seeing the temps were about 14F I was VERY grateful for my decision, as I pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep. Tomorrow will be another story since tomorrow is not an off day. I'm still learning about running in cold temps, and I'm curious about how my toes will do below 25F.

Michelle

I rarely have problems with my feet getting cold. Even on slushy days when I've inadvertently plopped my foot into a big slush puddle, my feet are cold for a few minutes, but warm back up to comfort in 3-4 minutes or so. Today was about 1F when I went out and my feet were fine. In cold weather I wear the Cold Running version of Wright Socks with the long tops to ensure no exposed skin between my tights and my shoes.
                  Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

OilCreek100.org

I wear the same socks for my trail running all year long... both made of merino wool. The innter sock is the Injinji toe socks (the NuWool merino wool outdoor kind, not the coolmax ones) and the outer sock is the SmartWool Adrenalin merino wool sock. They are great in the heat of the summer, great in the winter... just plain GREAT! :-)
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Fortunately I had already decided that today would be an off day for me but after waking at 5:00 and seeing the temps were about 14F I was VERY grateful for my decision, as I pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep. Tomorrow will be another story since tomorrow is not an off day. I'm still learning about running in cold temps, and I'm curious about how my toes will do below 25F.
                      Oh, 14 sounds nice! I wear Kraft socks and never have a problem, even when it's close to zero. One thing I've noticed about running in cold weather - it's always harder at the beginning of the season, even when it's "relatively" warm, in the mid-20s. It really does take my body a few weeks to adjust. So if you live down south and you're not used to really cold weather, it would be difficult to run during a cold snap. All this to say, I shouldn't be so judgmental when I hear people complaining about running in temps that sound balmy to me!
                        I live and run in Athens, Georgia and believe it or not it does get cold here! This morning it was 22 degrees (F) with wind chill down to 11 degree (F) and very windy.
                        You're correct, I would never have thought it would get that cold in Georgia.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

One thing I've noticed about running in cold weather - it's always harder at the beginning of the season
                          This is true and very key. In the fall even 40 degrees feels cold. By now, 40 degrees feels balmy. I gradually shift to wearing less layers as the season progresses.
                          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            Hey There Carole! I live in Athens, GA too! I call myself a fair weather runner but went out yesterday and got caught in that freak noon wind/rain storm - the rain felt like ice pellets on my face! **Oops, I see now this thread was started in 2008, not '09! HA!
                              Keeping your toes warm has very little to do with your socks. When your core is cold, your body reduces circulation to your feet. Keep your core warm and your toes will be warm. If your toes are cold you'd be better off putting a hat on your head or another layer on your upper body. Today it was 2F, -20F windchill and I ran in the same ultra thin socks I wear year round. My toes were fine.
                              I have Raynaud's disease so keeping my feet and hands warm is a medical issue and not related to core temperature. In fact I get issues when it isn't even that cold. One thing I have found to work is a pair of injinji socks (the toe running socks) and then a second pair of regular running socks. I found my feet stay warmer and more comfortable than when I wear a pair of wool socks and still get the benefit of blister prevention of wicking.
                              You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                                I run with a single pair of Mizuno Breath Thermal socks ... very thin but keeps my toes nice and warm when running outside during the winter in the cold of Minnesota.