feeling bad (Read 667 times)

So do you ever do anything you feel absolutely horrible about. Glenn, my 4 year old son, had a rookie tee-ball game last night. His cousin from North Carolina and another cousin (all within a year of each other age wise) came to watch, as well as grand parents. Glenn didn't want to play so he could sit out in the stands with all of the family. I explained the importance of being with his team during the game and that the family was there to watch him so he played- for a little while then he was done. I talked him in to coming back out with the team and stand with them, which he did. Then his turn at bat was the last batter of the night. He hit the ball off of the tee and took off. In tee-ball everyone on the team hits in each inning and there is no score kept. Since he was the last batter the teams started to line up to shake hands even before he reached first base. So I went out and we were running the bases together. As we passed second base I guess our feet got tangled or something but we both went down fast. His two front teeth hit the back of his hand making two puncture wounds in his hand and knocking one of his teeth loose. He was screaming and blood was every where as I took him off the field. We finally got the bleeding to stop and Kathy noticed how loose his tooth was. I took him to the dentist this morning and they x-rayed the teeth. No structural damage was done but they said the tooth would probably turn grey and possibly fall out. His permanent teeth are coming soon (probably within the next year), we could see them on the x-ray. No damage was done to them so I think everything will be ok as long as his gums don't get infected. I thought I was doing good thing helping him run the bases and the discipline of sticking with his team. Now I kind of wish I would have just let him go sit with the family and watch the game.
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

My legs are killing me

You did the right thing. It was important for you to teach him commitment to his team and to follow through. What happened running the bases was just an accident. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I know it's tough to see your son in pain but when he grows up you'll all probably get a good laugh out of it. Hang in there. Kids at that age are pretty tough.

Non ducor, duco.

One of my fondest memories is of one day when my dad and I went riding horses together. It was really a rare treat. My horse wouldn't go down a road. She was spooked. My dad had some rope with a brass end, swung it and tried to hit the horse in the rump to get her started. He missed and hit me on the leg leaving a huge bruise. It hurt like heck. I cried like crazy but by the time we got back home and I showed my mom we were giggling about it. Now its a big family story that MY kids like to hear told again and again. He will remember that you were a great dad who was there for him and will laugh at the whole thing some day. It will probably be one of his fondest memories! Wink Who said parenting was easy, huh?
          Here is a funny story: ABout 8 years ago, when my son was 8, we signed him up for Little League. He went to all the practices, though really didn't like playing in the outfield (who does?). Anyway, I also hd that talk with him, that he was part of a team, and had to play the positions the coach gave him, bla bla bla. Well, I think in the second or third game of the season, he was up to bat, hit the ball pretty hard, and managed an inside the park home run, even though he was almost thrown out at the plate...he slid head first and tagged the plate, and the catcher caught the ball and I guess stepped on his hand. Now, he wasn;t screeching or crying or anything. so ....no harm, no foul. Or so I thought. When it was time for his team to go back on field, he clamied he could not, that his hand was injured (there were no cleat marks, or blood, or bruises). I just figured he didn't want to go to the outfield. The team did not have many extras, so I told him to go on out there and be a good sport. He was adamant that he could not. Exasperated, I said: Look, just put the glove on and go stand in the outfield. Just stand there. The ball isn't even going to be hit your way. Tight lipped Black eye So out he goes. First batter up, the kid hits it ...right towards my son, who just stood there and let the ball roll by. Okay, it was just a coincidence. Or was it? Blush Next batter up, the kid hits it..right towards my son...who just stood there and let the ball roll by. Blush Shocked His coach said to him: Why didn't you go after those hits? Sez he: MY MOM TOLD ME TO JUST STAND HERE. Big grin Big grin Big grin Oh man..now I can laugh...But I was mortified then. I guess his hand really was hurt.
          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Another Passion

I agree with Sully,Alan. You did the right thing. Accidents happen to kids... responsibility and accountability doesn't without adult intervention. Just my $0.02. Hope Glenn's ok. Wink

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The two are completely unrelated. You could've run the bases together even if he was like a young Babe Ruth out there. When I was 5, my dad ran me over by accident (I was running next to the car as he was pulling into the driveway, slipped and fell). I only broke my wrist, but it could've been worse. We still talk every now and then 16 years later.
              JakeKnight

Sez he: MY MOM TOLD ME TO JUST STAND HERE. Big grin Big grin Big grin Oh man..now I can laugh...But I was mortified then. I guess his hand really was hurt.
                Great story!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Hey Alan, a very similar thing happened to my middle son when he was four. We were running around a park when he tripped and hit his two front teeth on the structure which loosened them both. The dentist saw signs of trauma (duh) and they eventually fell out much earlier than would have been normal. They never turned grey but just stayed loose until they came out. Now he's almost six and his permanent ones are starting to show. Everything seems fine. So your son will have a nice gap for awhile that is quite the conversation starter. And I understand the feelings of guilt. Why would I ever play tag at a park? Why did you have to make him play the game? But, as (I think) Dory said in Finding Nemo, if you never let your son do anything then he won't do anything.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I was "psychologically scarred" by my dad. I've always been afraid of the dark. I never quite knew why other than remember a monster coming up from under my crib as a toddler and scaring the living crap out of me. Shocked As a teenager, I was relating this story to my dad and told him that I just didn't know where that "memory" came from. Poor dad then had to admit that when I was a toddler that he thought it'd be funny to tease me, so he crawled under my crib and then jumped up and growled and made scary faces - like a monster under the bed. OMG - my dad made me afraid of the dark! Surprised It wasn't until my early twenties that I joked to dad about scarring me for life and my mom had no idea what we were talking about - dad never told her! OOPS! I think mom could have killed him! Needless to say, we still laugh about it. I know that my dad felt bad - he didn't realize what he did was so traumatizing. When I was a toddler, Dad also sat me in the grass one day while he was raking leaves. He heard me crying a looked over to realize that he had put me right on top of a snake hole. Baby snakes were coming out of the hole and crawling all over me. Cry He was horrified and took action immediately and got me out of there. Needless to say, I joke with dad that between snakes and monsters that maybe he was trying to kill me! My dad is wonderful but I'm thinking also pretty unlucky!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Bugs

It's OK to feel bad, just means you care. You have nothing to feel guilty about though. It was an accident. Now if you were too cheap to take him to the dentist then you should feel guilty. Glad he's OK.

Bugs

Thanks all- I was (am) feeling horrible about it- still can't figure out how we went down so fast. I have been accused by friends of tripping him because he was going to beat me to the bag. And oh yea... "daddy can run 26.2 miles but can't run from base to base." Blush We have another game tonight so I will try to stay out of his way.
                        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Based on my experience (as a 4 year old and a parent of 2 former 4 year olds) - he won't even remember it when he's older unless the story becomes a family legend. Even then he'll remember the story but not the actual incident... unless of course there are pictures or ( HORRORS!) video of the event. Then you're doomed to a lifetime of teasing. Smile