Will loosing upper body mass make me faster? (Read 325 times)

I guess my point is you are too much of a newbie, it takes 8-10 years of consistent training to peak out.  Stride Effiency drills, the right speed work and more mileage will give you much more speed than taking off some muscle.  If you are taking off muscle, you might as well do the things above also.

Totally agree.  This was exactly what I was getting at when I first responded,  you just said it directly.  I've been running 8 years now, and I would say it took me about 6 years to really figure a lot of this out.

TripleBock

A wheel of cheese chasing down hill - I would do better with a chase to the top of the hill following a pint of good beer.

Can somebody match this guy up with SJ in a reality show? I'm thinking the setting should be in a game preserve in Africa. Danger should be involved to heighten the drama. Of course hobie call would need a nice big hill to run down. Perhaps there is a good road down Kilimanjaro? He likes that kind of stuff.

If that doesn't work out we could enter hobie in the Gloucestershire Cheese race. SJ could be his "manager" and there could be lots of trash talking and drama just like in Professional "Wrestling" ... then they would run down the hill after a wheel of cheese.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

NHLA

Additional weight does slow you down indeed. One way to keep strength without inducing muscle hypertrophy is using heavy weights you can't lift for more than 6 repetitions. That way you will tech your body to recruit a maximum of muscle fibers. Make sure you warm up properly and keep the rest between sets rather long - e.g. 2 -3 min.

This.  my PT was a pro wt. lifter and she became a runner and this is what she does only 10 reps. If you can do more raise the wt. Two opposing body parts a day.

My body did not start changing into a runners body until I started running 20+ long runs every week.

20 min 5k is a great goal. It is hard but you can do it.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

What is a pro weight lifter?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Walk-Jogger

I wonder which of these two could run a faster mile? And could either of them break 10 minutes for a mile? I'm guessing the guy on the right would be the faster of these two. The guy on the left  is all about appearance, and to me is nothing but a grotesque monster.

Retired &  Loving It

NHLA

Sorry don't know what to call it. She was MS Va as a body builder.  http://www.bodybyjennifer.com

Now she is into power lifting. It is amazing to watch her help older women.

RunNow

The guy on the left  is all about appearance, and to me is nothing but a grotesque monster.

Crush alert!

mikeymike

I wonder which of the people in the cheese rolling picture could run the fastest mile.

Runners run

bhearn

I think it's the cheese.

Feeling the growl again

"I wonder which of the people in the cheese rolling picture could run the fastest mile."

I think it's the cheese.

And here I thought it was just the soylent green...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

The cheese stands alone...

Runners run

Still kicking

That 2 hour marathon dude is about 30 years late with his brand new training technique. Anyone remember the early 1980's and all the weighted vests, pack packs, heavy hands, ankle weights, and even sand bag pouches to lace into your shoes? It didn't produce a 2 hour marathon back then, and probably wouldn't now.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Feeling the growl again

That 2 hour marathon dude is about 30 years late with his brand new training technique. Anyone remember the early 1980's and all the weighted vests, pack packs, heavy hands, ankle weights, and even sand bag pouches to lace into your shoes? It didn't produce a 2 hour marathon back then, and probably wouldn't now.

Don't forget the running parachute.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Still kicking

Oh yeah… I forgot about the drag chute! He would probably need that to get stopped after the finish line...

BTW, I'm a recovering musclehead. I went from a 138 pound sub 3 marathoner (80's) to a 193 pound lifter (90's) who couldn't break 4 hours in a marathon, back down to a current 145 pounds, hopefully going for a BQ (3:30) this fall. Not only does the weight make a difference in speed, but it also makes a big difference in jiggling bouncing chaffing areas (lats, thighs, bloody nips). I also didn't like the maintenance aspect of being all pumped up. Having lived both, I much prefer the lean tight skinny runner.

BTW, one of my fav shows is Ninja Warrior. The skinny lean runner/featherweight boxer/kung-fu looking dudes have a lot easier time than the muscle heads.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava