Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

Hey, I'm just trying to say what I think the other person may have meant.  I've never actually heard of the "rule" and it didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

sorry... posted in haste!

bhearn

Sorry I'm late but I didn't see this one.  You can run no faster in a marathon than you run your fastest 26.2 miles in any given week.

I was about to write, this sounds more like an antirule -- if you run 26 miles at MP or faster in the week before your goal race, for example, I'm pretty sure your race is going to be a disaster. But then you said "any given week", not the final week. Still, sounds very suspect to me.

But -- someone in the Marathon Maniacs FB group just posted that he did almost exactly this, to run 2:59, at age 58. So what do I know.

"Since my target pace was under 7 per mile, I wanted to see how many of those I could run in a week- on 2 seperate occastions I was able to run 25 sub 7 min miles by combining short intervals (400s), short tempo (3-4 miles), long intervals (800s), and long tempo (8 miles). Turned out that half or more of my weekly miles were under 7. I didn't do that every week but I made sure the other weeks that I had a 2 hr run and Yasso 800s or something similar. In summary, I think if you can run 25 sub 7 min miles in a week (it doesn't really matter how you do it), you are fit enough to run close to a 3 hr marathon."

Not what I would ever try to do. But, huh.

xhristopher

Can I just run a half on Sunday and another the following Saturday, total them, and just call that my marathon PR? Thanks.

Netizen Kane

Just dropped into this chat:

Every minute you steal on the first half of a marathon you pay back treble on the second half.

I guess that doesn't work for everyone and is better expressed as a %, but for me that rule has held true for a few years now.

I got an outstanding personal message from a guy who has researched a lot of this stuff for the U.S. Army and wrote me a fascinating response about a couple of these rules.  Nothing quite like good research.  The 180 steps and the 3 x the daily run "rules" are certainly provocative topics.  Reading Jack Daniels on the 180 topic feels like you are reading the Ten Commandments, he is so sure of himself.

I want to hear more about this because this could be spectacular!

Please, enlighten us on his fascinating response.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xhristopher

I want to hear more about this because this could be spectacular!

Please, enlighten us on his fascinating response.

I wonder if he's a "Biomimeticist."

mikeymike

Also, unfortunately, the US Army did not ask our resident Biomimeticist to research any of this stuff and would have him arrested posthaste if he ever showed up on their premises. But he did once trade email with a fitness blogger who was once a Navy Seal, which, when you think about it, is sort of similar to "doing research for the military" if you squint really hard, turn your head to the side and use your imagination ... or if you are legitimately insane.

Runners run

BeeRunB

King of PhotoShop

Happy to help.  Here is what he wrote me, leaving out his name:

Saw your request for running "rules of thumb" and thought to write and introduce myself. I'm a researcher in elite human performance, training clients which include Navy SEALs. I'd be honored for a conversation if you're looking for a very different perspective of running for the recreational, professional or tactical (military, law enforcement, firefighter) athlete.

My area of research is injury prevention and for that reason I've been asked to assist the US Army to rewrite their standard training manuals to include a running technique not only biomechanically different  from what coaches teach, but documented to reduce the most common injuries runners face.

What you refer to as rules of thumb, are in fact well repeated myths which have absolutely no science to back up their claims. The 10% rule is the joke that limiting your running will only delay the onset of injury, not prevent it.

The army in fact has done studies with the most common running techniques promoted by the sports media industry. Unfortunately, the 180 step per minute mantra has no validity. In short, it doesn't reduce injury risks, it merely changes where in your body you experience them.

http://www.army.mil/article/121873/USARIEM_researchers_study_Soldiers__running_styles/

In fact studies clearly show the 180 step per minute is a less efficient way to run

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16195026

If you'd enjoy a very radical discussion to improve anyone's running technique, I'd look forward to discussing what science says actually works to improve technique, speed, and reduce injury risks

npaden

Spareribs,

To save you some time you might just fill this out and hit refresh a few times.

This was created by bhearn.

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Never mind.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Happy to help.  Here is what he wrote me, leaving out his name:

Saw your request for running "rules of thumb" and thought to write and introduce myself. I'm a researcher in elite human performance, training clients which include Navy SEALs. I'd be honored for a conversation if you're looking for a very different perspective of running for the recreational, professional or tactical (military, law enforcement, firefighter) athlete.

My area of research is injury prevention and for that reason I've been asked to assist the US Army to rewrite their standard training manuals to include a running technique not only biomechanically different  from what coaches teach, but documented to reduce the most common injuries runners face.

What you refer to as rules of thumb, are in fact well repeated myths which have absolutely no science to back up their claims. The 10% rule is the joke that limiting your running will only delay the onset of injury, not prevent it.

The army in fact has done studies with the most common running techniques promoted by the sports media industry. Unfortunately, the 180 step per minute mantra has no validity. In short, it doesn't reduce injury risks, it merely changes where in your body you experience them.

http://www.army.mil/article/121873/USARIEM_researchers_study_Soldiers__running_styles/

In fact studies clearly show the 180 step per minute is a less efficient way to run

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16195026

If you'd enjoy a very radical discussion to improve anyone's running technique, I'd look forward to discussing what science says actually works to improve technique, speed, and reduce injury risks

By "radical", he means "kitty" running.

SIGH.  Why can't I stay away?

To save you some time you might just fill this out and hit refresh a few times.

This was created by bhearn.

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

This is like middle school giggles.

Hehe. Giggle giggle. Jester!  Hehe! {note sarcasm}

I can't be the only person who feels like I'm 13 years old when we instigate this type of childish stuff within an innocent thread.
                            We're such a childish group of adults. It's annoying.
                            I've all but left RA because of how we interact.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

npaden

This is like middle school giggles.

Hehe. Giggle giggle. Jester!  Hehe! {note sarcasm}

I can't be the only person who feels like I'm 13 years old when we instigate this type of childish stuff within an innocent thread.
                              We're such a childish group of adults. It's annoying.
                              I've all but left RA because of how we interact.

No giggling on my part.  Maybe a wry smirk when I clicked it a few times to make sure I was giving the correct link and it matched up so closely with posts that I've read from him.

My goal was to attempt to save Spareribs the time that otherwise would have been spent attempting to have an interaction with sportjester whatever his real name is.  I wouldn't want anyone to go into that without knowing what they are getting into.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Oh, I didn't giggle.  I laughed heartily.  Of course, I'm a childish adult, so there's that.  I'm not ashamed of that, though.  No shame!

This innocent thread was pretty well wrapped up a while back, and there is still plenty of serious stuff to be had around RA with a number of people contributing plenty of good stuff.  I leave that up to the "knowledgeable" posters, though.

Anyway, the day we stop joking and having fun with each other is the day I leave RA.