accelerated training: can I run a sub 3 hour marathon with a 2 month program? (Read 231 times)

Alright guys and gals! I am trying to gauge whether it is possible for me to run a sub 3hr marathon off of 2months of training + a good base fitness. I am currently in shape to run some fairly fast triathlons (my 5k at the end of a sprint is 18:30 to 19:00) and I have an extensive shorter distance running background and I have run multiple >13mi training runs. I have never raced a distance longer than an 8k.

Right now I have triathlons scheduled through 6/21 and I am eyeing a marathon on 8/22.

More details and personal bests:

800m: 1:59.3

Mile: 4:35

5k: 17:00

8k: 27:30

Height: 6"1"

Weight: 178lb

So, can I do it? Whad'ya think?

DaBurger

How l long are the tri's? Olympic?

Know thyself.

Latent Runner

Alright guys and gals! I am trying to gauge whether it is possible for me to run a sub 3hr marathon off of 2months of training + a good base fitness. I am currently in shape to run some fairly fast triathlons (my 5k at the end of a sprint is 18:30 to 19:00) and I have an extensive shorter distance running background and I have run multiple >13mi training runs. I have never raced a distance longer than an 8k.

Right now I have triathlons scheduled through 6/21 and I am eyeing a marathon on 8/22.

My gut tells me you might get close, maybe a 3:10 marathon, but sub-3:00, no, probably not.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

If we internet strangers determine it is not possible, are you not going to do it? Just train, race the damn thing, and find out. It's just running. Put some training in, see what happens. Who cares what we think based off some old PRs and our random estimate of your fitness from some limited details. Run. Train. Find out what the heck you are capable of. Easy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

If those PBs are recent (like now), and you do marathon specific training between now and your race, and you run a smart race, I think sub 3 is definitely possible.   You have the speed. You just need the marathon specific training.    The key will be building up your long runs with some portion, preferably the later portion, of the run being at or slightly faster than 6:52 mpm.

Just a dude.

All of your PRs show that if you have the endurance, you are capable. The question comes down to building the endurance and staying injury free.

I would think it is possible, but if you are serious about trying it, start upping the mileage gradually now. It shouldn't hurt your tri performance. Trying to ramp up too quickly may expose you to injury concerns.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There's one facet of marathon training that you won't be able to do between now and then.  That is to run a marathon.  As NTown Kevin says, give it a shot.  If you do it, awesome; if not, you'll at least have the first one under your belt.

Others more in your speed range and more experienced than I have suggested that you have capability to run the sub 3 marathon, so I will leave that part out of my reply, but why is this important to you? Just a number you picked, or does it have any meaning?

I don't think anyone can forecast if you can or can't achieve your goal without actually running the race. A coach who does not visit here much anymore says, nothing but running itself will prepare your legs for the pounding they take while running a marathon.  So while you have the speed, your mileage is a bit on the low side. Not sure if a cramming the training into 6-8 weeks (not sure if you plan to taper) is the right thing to do, if that sub 3 number is not really that important to you.  Are you willing to risk injury in the pursuit, or a more sensible 12-18 week plan makes more sense.

bhearn

Certainly you have the speed, but yeah, the question is, can you build the endurance.

Can you throw in a half marathon in the meantime? Is there some reason you've never raced longer than 8k? Are you more comfortable with the shorter stuff?

How l long are the tri's? Olympic?

Hello Mr. Burger!

Right now they are sprints - I actually wanted to focus on speed this summer until the marathon idea got in my head. Go figure!

Certainly you have the speed, but yeah, the question is, can you build the endurance.

Can you throw in a half marathon in the meantime? Is there some reason you've never raced longer than 8k? Are you more comfortable with the shorter stuff?

I have stuck with shorter stuff because it is what I was good at, what I liked, and what was presented with me throughout high school + college. After I graduated I moved on to triathlons because I am drawn to those more. Marathons were not an if but a when for me I guess. Now the when seems to have been answered!

BeeRunB

I'd say based on an 18:30 5k (at the end of your tris), and if all things were perfect on race day, that you'd be right around 3:00-3:05:00 in your first one.  If you wanted to definitely break 3 hours, then you'll need maybe 4 months to build your aerobic engine properly, and you would have to get your 5k time a bit faster (on non-tired legs), maybe 18:00 or better, and also be able to beat 1:25:00 in the half (a better indicator of your endurance).  Good luck! 

mikeymike

If those PRs are close to current fitness and you regularly do 13 mile training runs, yes for sure you can run sub 3 with 2 months of training. Most likely sub 2:50 on a good day.

Runners run

Lane

If Ashman can run low-3's on 800m training, you probably can do significantly better.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I saw people with strollers run under an hour at the local marathon I did last weekend. And with dogs. And little kids on little bikes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.