Long Run for marathon (Read 1748 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I started my marathon training new years day, and it is going wel. Little achy legs though! Regarding my long runs (marathon is 26th April) am I ok to just add 1 mile a week on them? I started last Sun with 14.5 miler. So adding a mile a week should be ok? Then when I get to twenty, do about 3 on them, then 1 22 miler before tapering? Any advice?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Purdey

Self anointed title

sounds ok. Most people would probably say forget the 22 miler - 3 x 20 is sufficient. I don't think you get a lot more benefit from going those extra 2 miles and the extra wear on your legs for the next week's training is not warranted. That said, each to their own, Galloway has recommended going up to 30 miles in the past (but this only for those interested in trying to get under 2:30). What time are you aiming for?

mikeymike

Sounds reasonable but you really need to focus on getting your overall weekly mileage up. That's a higher priority than the long run.

Runners run

Slow-smooth-fast

sounds ok. Most people would probably say forget the 22 miler - 3 x 20 is sufficient. I don't think you get a lot more benefit from going those extra 2 miles and the extra wear on your legs for the next week's training is not warranted. That said, each to their own, Galloway has recommended going up to 30 miles in the past (but this only for those interested in trying to get under 2:30). What time are you aiming for?
          I am going to run under 3:30 as there will be a lot of 'traffic' at the start of the race so I am trying to more enjoy it than race all out, but having said that I want to be strong and fit!
          Sounds reasonable but you really need to focus on getting your overall weekly mileage up. That's a higher priority than the long run.
          I get differing arguments from different people. I have heard that I need to do the 3x20-22 to get the required stamina in my legs whilst at the same time I need to get the miles in ( time on my feet ). What is rwally the benefit of time on my feet? You see the thing is a personal trainer told me that marathon training has 3 key runs per week: 1) The Long Run, building up to 22 miles for stamina. 2) The mid week temp for 1:30 3) Speed session (sprints, intervals etc) Then everything else are just fillers, so lets say I am following this: typically my plan would therefore be: Mon:8 mile easy Tues Track: Intervals 1mile w/u and w/d with 3 miles of intervals Wed: 8 mile easy Thurs 12 mile at steady pace Fri: Day off Sat 8 mile Easy Sun 16 - 22 miles This amounts to 57-63 m/p/w. With this regime I have the 3 quality sessions incorporated and still have some good mileage under the belt. But is the mileage sufficient? I also find that when I am doing mileage over 55mpw, the majority of it needs to be from easy running, as I will break down (muscular and physically) so perhaps the addition of tempo and speed and hills etc may be my downfall. Does this mean I should cut my easy days distance down to get these sessions in, or alternatively does it mean that I should just go every day easy, where then I could get it up to over 70mpw week in week out?,

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Eddy, if the goal is to enjoy a 3:30 and not race all out, 50 miles a week is sufficient. You mentioned 3 quality sessions. Per week? 2 is sufficient (a tempo/marathon pace run and intervals) Most of your running NEEDS to be easy. My guess is 80%. And do you cut that easy mileage to get in the hard stuff without breaking down? No, run those days VERY easy. I have to agree with the ones that suggested it here. Run an hour a day (more in doubles if you can swing it), run a longer midweek run (75-90 minutes), and your long run (16+) on the weekend. Incorporate the quality as you see fit. And when you decide you are ready to give the marathon your very best, try upping the mileage to 70mpw.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

kcam

I started my marathon training new years day, and it is going wel. Little achy legs though! Regarding my long runs (marathon is 26th April) am I ok to just add 1 mile a week on them? I started last Sun with 14.5 miler. So adding a mile a week should be ok? Then when I get to twenty, do about 3 on them, then 1 22 miler before tapering? Any advice?
              That sounds reasonable and I would agree that 3 or so 20 milers is about right. I would not bother going 22. To reiterate more of what has been already said, the real key is to build your base of easy miles. I also think that 3 hard sessions a week is too much. I'd count my long run as a quality session and then one other form of faster running (maybe a mid-week tempo session) as another quality session. 2 per week sounds good.
                My first half marathon is April 26th. Are you by any chance running the OKC marathon?
                  UK

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

finchy

eddy, i agree that you should cut out the 3 hard/uptempo day. the long run and the MP training day will be good. for the long runs(and i do believe that is was said before) it is all about the time on your feet. if you are shooting for a 3:30 then getting to 20 miles is a good idea. going beyond that, you more than likely would not need to do and are probably going to burn yourself out(been there, done that). good luck with the training and enjoy yourself while you are out there.

UNUS

Which marathon you training for, the Oklahoma City Memorial? That is April 26th, I am registered to run and started training for it as well. There are lots of training plans on the web to use. Sam Nevermind, I looked at your profile and saw you are in the UK. Best of luck in the race! Sam
                      Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
                        My first half marathon is April 26th. Are you by any chance running the OKC marathon?
                        I was wondering the same but he is in the UK. I am running the OKC Memorial Marathon though, see you there! I am planning on running the full but I am only cautiously optimistic. I am training for the full but will scle back to the half if my training doesn't go well. Sam
                        Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But the advantage of doing 30 mile as the long run is that if you combine that with a 15-20 mile midweek run, then you can keep a base of 45-50 mpw and rest all the other days...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slow-smooth-fast

But the advantage of doing 30 mile as the long run is that if you combine that with a 15-20 mile midweek run, then you can keep a base of 45-50 mpw and rest all the other days...
                            30 miles long run sounds hardcore. I will stick to what I am doing. Thanks for all the input guys. To clarify it is the London Marathon. I will stick to my long run and mid week marathon paced run for 1hr 30. The thing is, 3h30 in the marathon would be 8m/miles pace, and in a race this would be easily sustainable. I might make this session a fartlek one to get the heart rate up too. Literally have a play with it. I think my key here is to be consistent and not get injured.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You see the thing is a personal trainer told me that marathon training has 3 key runs per week: 1) The Long Run, building up to 22 miles for stamina. 2) The mid week temp for 1:30 3) Speed session (sprints, intervals etc)
                              I would forget the speed session. Really no need unless you are shooting for at least sub 3. If I remember correctly you already have a sub 40 10k time - you have more than enough speed to run a 3:30 - you need the miles. Mikey is right about weekly mileage being more important than the long run (we have argued discussed this in the past and I have now come to agree with him). That said, make sure you get a few decent runs of 3hr or so under your belt. You may want to find a copy of "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger et al. Read that and you will be able to filter the good advice on here from the bad! Best of luck.

MrH

There's another marathon on that date in a place called London. Who'd have thought they would have scheduled it to clash with the Oklahoma City marathon.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.