Holy Fitness Loss!!! (Read 1211 times)

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

I went from doing a 9:11 pace for a tough half marathon with lots of hills to doing a 12:00 pace for a local 5K. YIKES! I basically had 4 months off due to an injury in November to my ankles which followed with my toes randomly turning cold and swelling for no reason. The doctor checked everything out and I have been cleared back to running. How long until I'm running 9 minute miles again? My running log is public so go ahead and view it.

SMART Approach

You will bounce back but give yourself 4-6 months of build up but it could be up to 8 months if you did absolutely no cardiovascular conditioning these 4 months. Be patient and be smart.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

I predict it will take a lot less than 4-6 months since your previous fitness was reached in much less time than that. I'd say by the start of the summer series you're back in the 9's if not faster. But build smart, be consistent and avoid injury. The key to this sport is consistency and that means not losing a lot of time to injuries.

Runners run

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Yes sir Mikey Mike! Will you be blessing us with another appearance this Tuesday?

A Saucy Wench

It is amazing how fast it goes away isnt it. But yeah, I think it will come back fairly quickly - or at least that is what I tell myself too. - if it helps I regained all fitness loss from a pregnancy in about 3 months and I had to lose a buttload of weight too.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

Yes sir Mikey Mike! Will you be blessing us with another appearance this Tuesday?
              Alas, my perch atop the leaderboard will be short lived. With Boston a week from Monday, I will not be there for the next couple of Tuesday's for sure, but I will definitely try to make it back for some more of those as long as my kids don't have softball or lacrosse or gymnastics or...well, you get the idea. That was a ton of fun--great course and fun post-race festivities. Can't believe I hadn't done one of those until now.

Runners run

I had similiar experience as tore some cartlidge in my knee last October and was down a few months (that deep water running just does not cut it). At time of Injury was running marathon pace at 9:45 and it took a while to get back. It was a little tough retracing the "ground" just to get back to were I was and running a 5 mile race right before new years in over 47 min was not good, but what did I expect with little /no running for 3 months and gaining 10+ lbs in the process. Since then have going nice and steady: adding miles, gaining fitness, losing weight. My paces are now down well below the injury. Just ran half marathon with 8:47 pace that was signifigantly faster than 9:30 pace for half in September 08 -- 9:30. What does not kill you makes you stronger .... although I do wonder were I could be now without recoving the lost ground but the past is the past and although the goals were to beat old times they have to be in the realm of were you are now. Good Luck

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

theyapper

On the road again...

Buckeye mentioned the added weight factor and I noticed that there's a good 20 pounds more of you running right now compared to that HM with the 9:11 pace. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, just remember that now that you're running again, that extra 20 will start coming off, too, and you'll see a difference in your times.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

SMART Approach

Dprice, Did you really run these races 6 weeks in a row? I was looking at your log. You must have amazing recovery ability and you are not a high mileage runner. OR this is why you got injured!!! Way too much. Half marathon Marathon 20 miler Half Half Half

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

There is no way that you lost that much fitness in 4 months. It just felt tougher. I stopped running for approximately 4 months after my marathon in June and lost at most 30 s/mile off my easy pace. The lungs felt it a little bit when I started back, but after a week that was gone. Started running again in Nov and Dec. I already have that 30 seconds back plus some on my easy pace. Don't worry about it. MTA: I gained about 15-20 pounds as well

SMART Approach

There is no way that you lost that much fitness in 4 months. It just felt tougher. I stopped running for approximately 4 months after my marathon in June and lost at most 30 s/mile off my easy pace. The lungs felt it a little bit when I started back, but after a week that was gone. Started running again in Nov and Dec. I already have that 30 seconds back plus some on my easy pace. Don't worry about it. MTA: I gained about 15-20 pounds as well
                        You certainly can lose a lot in four months if doing nothing. I think it varies per person and genetics play a part. Also, how fit you are before taking time off makes a difference. I lost 2 min off my 5K from late Sept. race (20:07) to early Feb. and I was running just not as much. I went from 20 miles a week to about 15 miles per week and then took 4 weeks off in January for my hammy tendonitis after my cortisone injections. I ran 5 times and did a 5K in 22:03 and it wasn't an off day. I ran a good race but just a slow poke pace for me. I certainly lose it fast and I have a strong base of aerobic fitness for 21 years with only twice taking off a month in this time because of my damn hammys. It then took me 8 weeks of consistent running (17-20 miles a week) and building my long runs back to 9 miles and my last race this past week was 21:12. It will take me another 8-10 weeks to get between 20:00 - 20:15 if I get there. The hammys are still talking to me and I am confined to running around 9 min pace.

A Saucy Wench

also...how much you lose off easy pace and how much you lose off race pace can be very different. My easy pace changes slightly, my 5K pace on the other hand...heck right now even if I was brave enough to test it I'm pretty sure I couldnt hold my 5K pace for more than a couple minutes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

You certainly can lose a lot in four months if doing nothing. I think it varies per person and genetics play a part. Also, how fit you are before taking time off makes a difference. I lost 2 min off my 5K from late Sept. race (20:07) to early Feb. and I was running just not as much. I went from 20 miles a week to about 15 miles per week and then took 4 weeks off in January for my hammy tendonitis after my cortisone injections. I ran 5 times and did a 5K in 22:03 and it wasn't an off day. I ran a good race but just a slow poke pace for me. I certainly lose it fast and I have a strong base of aerobic fitness for 21 years with only twice taking off a month in this time because of my damn hammys. It then took me 8 weeks of consistent running (17-20 miles a week) and building my long runs back to 9 miles and my last race this past week was 21:12. It will take me another 8-10 weeks to get between 20:00 - 20:15 if I get there. The hammys are still talking to me and I am confined to running around 9 min pace.
                            Still disagree, he is a 28 years old. For argument let's say his half marathon pace was his easy pace 9:11 and now a 5K pace is 12:00 minutes?!?! That means he lost 6 minutes off a stroll in the park 5K in 4 months, more than 10 minutes slower than, a full 40% slower, his 5K PR in August. No way. I am trying to tell him that he should be able to get back to form pretty easily, while he didn't say what made his pace slow I bet it was mostly a little lung discomfort

SMART Approach

Dennis never ran a 5K faster than 8 min pace so his half marathon pace of 9:11 was probably all out race pace and not easy. Also, his best 5K is a 8:01 pace so right away we know he is not in balance with his aerobic base. A 5K of 8:01 translates to a half marathon well under a 9 min pace and his marathon was at 5 hours I believe. I have trained several runners who take off months and lose most everything but do bounce back but find the more genetically gifted runners bounce back faster but you have to reel them in because they push too hard to get back to the pace they were at before and then get laid up. I don't think we should encourage him to "hurry". Also, a young runner like yourself just has more speed and perhaps better genetics so you would bounce back fast because you're gifted and can recover better. Dennis, let the pace come back to you with smart training whether this takes 3 months or 6 months. It appears you did way to much too soon to begin with potentially leading to your surgery. All those big races in such a short time. Take your time with very easy miles and get yourself healthy.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Yeah I definitely lost a lot of fitness. My healthy weight range is at between 150-180. At my lowest weight I was 170. Now I'm about 195. I definitely did too much too quickly and I didnt do it long enough to sustain it from taking time off. I'm taking it really slow. Before last year: I didnt do much running so I think I was way out of shape to start. I felt pretty good for my neighborhood two mile run but finished it in 26 minutes. YIKES. The plan is: This week: 7 miles total Next week: 8 miles total Week after: 9 miles total Week after: 10 miles total Week after: 7 miles total Week after: 9 miles total Week after: 10 miles total Week after 11 miles total Week after: 7 miles total ETC Shocked Shocked