How am I supposed to feel after a workout? (Read 219 times)

Gizmo2019

crampy?

(Stomach cramps)

exhausted?

liberated?

like I just warmed up?

i can’t get myself to go slower....

If you can't go slower...I've really enjoyed employing running/walking....which can be a nicer option IMO than going slower...you can keep your speed up for even 1-2mins...then walk 1 mins, etc...then repeat...and your avg heart rate will end up about where you would be if you were running at a slower rate, also I like that combo because you can train at a faster speed...form etc...

try some fartlek, tempo repeats etc....

to each their own, but I do like what 1 trainer had to say about....you should be able to go every day....not sore etc... I'm still trying to get there...but 5-7 days at a 7....he'd take over 2 days a week at a 10, and your overall volume would be more with the 5-7 semi easy days vs. the 2 days hard 10.

good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

an amazing likeness

How you are supposed to feel after a workout depends on the goal of the workout.  For an easy effort run, should you'll likely end the workout feeling like you could turn around and do it again...satisfied and feeling strong.  For an interval workout, you want to to finish the last interval with enough gas to do 1 more.  For a hard workout, you want to feel relief to be done and need to catch your breath and gather things up a bit.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

PVM is spot on.  Nothing wrong with taking a walk break in the middle of your workout, break up the monotony and allow you to focus on short term goals instead of something daunting like 4 miles more.  A short 20-30 sec walk break will not cost any time at all, and in fact may even be faster. You can take a look at my mile 4 this morning, included a 40 sec walk break up a hill, yet about 12-15 seconds faster than the preceding 2 miles

For most of your daily runs, you should feel like you can go back out and do the workout all over again if someone forces you to.  You may not be able to do that on your harder workouts, but that is the point of the hard workouts.

Wow, exact same thought MilkTruck

Gizmo2019

This is great advice. I always feel tho like I’m doing the “walk of shame” if I stop to walk.

If you’ve not read my previous posts, I’ve finally surrendered to waiting until my youngest is in school so that I have the time to increase my miles (verse trying to work on speed only During the weekdays). And I’m pushing off my marathon goal another year 😔

however, I did sign up for my first 10k (and first race of my life) in mid oct. I have about 8 weeks. I’m kinda following Hal Higdon and my own thing. My goal when I 1st signed up was 46 min bc I was doing so well at the time. I’ve gotten sick a lot and had to take time off so I had to start over. So my new goal is 60 min.

i still don’t have a lot of time during weekdays to do more than 4-5 mi (usually I can do 5ks during the week). Lately I’ve been finishing just over 30 min.

last weekend I did too much (6 miles) and stomach cramps and exhaustion for 3 hrs. Today , 4.5 mi , I was less xhausted but didn’t feel “normal” till about 1.5 hrs.

im eating, drinking, fueling. My cramping started at about 4 miles (all weekday workouts are on treadmill).

Now I feel rushed to do well.

3.1 miles at about 10 min pace I can do with no problem. I just want to do better and while I want to do it right (gradual) I want to see improvement.

Tuesday’s 5k was great, no problems. So I thought I could take it up a notch.

Anyway, it’s the same story with me, I think I know what you Guys will say. Beat it in my head tho!!! Who cares if I go over an hr right?!!

an amazing likeness

Stop.

Put yourself in Hal Higdon's novice plan's hands.

He'll get you there.

It's a time-proven plan.

You'll break 60min.

Whatever the time, it will be a personal record.

Every mile you run is more than those you didn't run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gizmo2019

Stop.

Put yourself in Hal Higdon's novice plan's hands.

He'll get you there.

It's a time-proven plan.

You'll break 60min.

If not, it will still be a personal record.

😓okay I will follow him (and not his intermediate plan!).

I am guessing you went from a 56 min goal to 60 min goal, and the 46 is a typo.  Most would need a couple of years and 3-4 training cycles to go from that 56 shape to 46.  46 is 7:24 pace, 56 is 9:00 min pace

Gizmo2019

I am guessing you went from a 56 min goal to 60 min goal, and the 46 is a typo.  Most would need a couple of years and 3-4 training cycles to go from that 56 shape to 46.  46 is 7:24 pace, 56 is 9:00 min pace

Ha! Nope! I had very unrealistic goals for myself for the last year that I’ve been running. A lot of it had to do with how fast I met my initial goal of running 5ks in under 30min. It took me about 4 mos from about 40ish min to 29 min or less. At that time I lost 15 lbs as well. At the time I had re-started running, I was only running intermittently and just for fitness. I have tried running 20 years before that. I had 10 months to try to get to 6.2 mi in 46 min and thought I could do it since I was doing so well but I plateaued.

my pace was getting faster and faster but I was doing it all wrong. I had no idea that the initial 4 mos just brought me to my base.

this was back in March or April when I signed up. So I’ve been learning a whole lot since then.

I usually have no major issues with muscle soreness (it gets better throughout the day of a big run). what I’m trying to figure out is why my stomach cramps if I go too far too fast from the previous long run?

Is it bc my pace is too fast or bc I should gradually tack on the miles instead of added a whole mile each week for long runs.

I usually don’t eat before long runs. But I’m finding a date helps with energy. I’m going to try a bite or 2 of oatmeal too. I’m not a huge eater in the early mornings before runs. But I drink at least 16 Oz. But I think my stomach cramps are not food related and more just pushing my body....?

Yes my biggest enemy is myself..I have way too high aspirations. 😕

Gizmo2019

And the issue I have with Hal Higdons novice 10k plan is that I know I can do at least 3 miles about 4 times a week. I’ve run the farthest till 7.36miles (my Pb! 😂). But I think the intermediate plan is a bit too much for me.

so I have to tweak the novice. Besides that, I care way too much about the time I want to finish the 10k race when for my very first race I know I should just enjoy it. I think his plans for the novice focus more on covering the distance which I know I can. Bc I have. So that’s why I’m focused on time (& not killing myself).

before I got sick, I was doing about 25mi per week. I’d repeat the same “program” 2 weeks in a row including my once a week long run. I increased my long run 1 mile every 2 weeks. But last week since I felt like Ive been fine beyond 5 mi before I thought I could jump to 6 the following weekend. Then the cramping. So

im trying to figure out if tomorrow morning I should do 5.5 or repeat the 6. I also read that your long run should be at least half your total miles that week. Well I had to take 2 days off so I only did 9.5 😔.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How close to your morning run are you downing 16oz of water? I'd get cramps from too much water if I drank that and ran.

You posted: "I also read that your long run should be at least half your total miles that week. Well I had to take 2 days off so I only did 9.5 😔"

Please no. No, no, no, no, no. Your weekly miles need to support your long run. If your long run is 50% or more of your weekly miles, that's a recipe for injury. My long run is about 30% of my miles. I'd like it to be closer to 25%, but never more than 35%. Your long run is important, but not more important than the rest of your miles.

Other question: since you are focused on time, how fast are you doing the easy runs? Or are you racing every run? (If you are logging on RA, consider making your log public so we can see what you are doing. It makes it easier to tailor advice to what you are doing.) Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Try running on a empty stomach.

stomach cramps are not normal.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Gizmo2019

How close to your morning run are you downing 16oz of water? I'd get cramps from too much water if I drank that and ran.

You posted: "I also read that your long run should be at least half your total miles that week. Well I had to take 2 days off so I only did 9.5 😔"

Please no. No, no, no, no, no. Your weekly miles need to support your long run. If your long run is 50% or more of your weekly miles, that's a recipe for injury. My long run is about 30% of my miles. I'd like it to be closer to 25%, but never more than 35%. Your long run is important, but not more important than the rest of your miles.

Other question: since you are focused on time, how fast are you doing the easy runs? Or are you racing every run? (If you are logging on RA, consider making your log public so we can see what you are doing. It makes it easier to tailor advice to what you are doing.) Smile

I probably finish my water about 15 min before I start running. I break it up in 8 & 8 Oz. But honestly, I’m up

about 20 min before sunrise and I’m out the door. I don’t dawdle due to fear of one of the kids waking up and asking to be fed 😉. Also I like the quiet traffic and cool mornings. And want to be back before or close to when they wake up. So I try not to “waste time” eating/drinking/digesting. Please don’t suggest to wake up earlier!! 😭😂 my husband forces me to hang out with him on Friday nights watching movies 😂

“Please no. No, no, no, no, no. Your weekly miles need to support your long run. If your long run is 50% or more of your weekly miles, that's a recipe for injury.”

what?!?!? Okay so THAT website was misinformation!

“Other question: since you are focused on time, how fast are you doing the easy runs? Or are you racing every run?”

whats an an easy run? 😬 ok, my really easy runs would be maybe 11:00 pace with me feeling like those were junk miles.

A good feeling/satisfied run would be 10:00 min pace (6mph). But yes sheepishly I m pretty much racing but just to catch up on what I lost. I consider my long runs “easy-ish” bc I try and intend to go slower than 10:00 min but end up fastish due to downhill on my way out and I just feel great/strong in the beginning. I always try to tell myself: you’re not going to be able to get up that hill on the way back if you start too fast. So I’m trying to control my speed on long runs, but motivated to get back fast and surprise myself. Also the pressure of the family waiting for me (they seriously can manage without me but I have guilt).

ok I’m going to try logging on this site...

thank you!!!

Gizmo2019

Try running on a empty stomach.

stomach cramps are not normal.

Yes I’ve done that too but I’ve found if I go too far or too fast (I think more too fast) i still get the tummy cramps (the start of runners trots). But when I was doing better earlier this year, it became less and less frequent as I tacked on the miles now that I think of it. I definitely now believe that my midweek miles matter too if not most...