What's the nastiest thing anyone has said about your running? (Read 1566 times)

jingchunyu

It is bad for your knees? Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, good thread topic. I've been lucky...I'm surrounded by runners or people who support running. I don't think I've heard one critical thing...yet.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My roommate had her boyfriend of the week over, and I came in from one of my runs. He said something to the effect that I was killing my heart. He said that he used to work at a cardiologists office, and that runners have the worst hearts. Then he went back to drinking his beer and eating his potato chips. Roll eyes
        - Tony
          I'm pretty lucky as I haven't had anything negative except for one remark from one of my relatives after my MIL was "bragging" about my progress- "Oh, that's a great way to wreck your knees!" Roll eyes I instantly thought back to this site and almost had to laugh! I FINALLY got the knee comment!!! Big grin
            My roommate had her boyfriend of the week over, and I came in from one of my runs. He said something to the effect that I was killing my heart. He said that he used to work at a cardiologists office, and that runners have the worst hearts. Then he went back to drinking his beer and eating his potato chips. Roll eyes
            He obviously didn't work for a brain surgeon!

A Saucy Wench

Oh the knees, heart thing - that's not really personal you know. That kind of stuff just makes me chuckle. Especially since I USED to have bad knees and now I dont. Running cured them. "You go how slow? Roll eyes That's not running, that's jogging - why bother" (note the person who said that to me years ago got his ass whooped by me this year in a HM Big grin Big grin Big grin Revenge is a dish best served cold. Even if I am the only one who remembers the comment. ) "Aren't you a little fat to run" and "You arent really built like a runner"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"You go how slow? Roll eyes That's not running, that's jogging - why bother" (note the person who said that to me years ago got his ass whooped by me this year in a HM Big grin Big grin Big grin Revenge is a dish best served cold. Even if I am the only one who remembers the comment. )
                I'd bet money that he remembers it, too...and I'll bet he's regretting ever making that comment, now. Evil grin You're a better person than I am...I totally would have said "hey, remember when you said..." Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Um..the only thing I ever hear after a run is "Get away from me you nasty woman--you stink!" No one in my family will come near me until I shower....can I help it if I sweat like a man?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Um..the only thing I ever hear after a run is "Get away from me you nasty woman--you stink!" No one in my family will come near me until I shower....can I help it if I sweat like a man?
                    Yeah, I guess that would be my nastiest, too. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

"Run fat boy run! Look, even the girls are beating you you slug!" -- random maintenance workers fixing bleachers while I ran intervals in 7th grade. I should buy them a beer, the fire that created took me very far in the sport. Of course, when they finish the beer I will want to bust the bottle over their head..... ;D

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ok, now I've said before that prior to age 39 when I started running, the longest distance I had run in my life was 1 mile, and that was in high school. Years of bodybuilding and baseball ( I was a catcher ) did me no favors. So anyway, when I first started running I noticed that people would always stare at me while I was running with this pained look on their faces. After about a month I finally complained to my wife about it and she sort of brushed it off. Later that night we were walking our dogs and she suggested I go to the end of the block and run toward her so she can see me run and figure out why people stare. So... I walked down to the end of the block and ran back in my coolest running form. She started laughing hysterically. I mean big belly laughs. I stopped just past her and turned and asked what was so funny. Between guffaws she shouted "You look like there should be villagers chasing you with torches!!!". Yeah, that's not so nice.
                        And who am I anyway?
                        Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Mine would probably be as I was finishing my first 10km race (in 1h02) and the volunteer at the finishing line wasn't paying attention and was surprised as I arrived saying "Oh, I didn't realise people were still finishing". And I wasn't even last Evil grin.

Dave

"You look like there should be villagers chasing you with torches!!!". Yeah, that's not so nice.
                            I think I like her Wink Does she have a sister? It would be a bonus if the sister was a runner.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

dork.major dork.

My mother, who would always make comments about my weight and forced her young kids (all girls) to count fat grams at the dinner table every night Roll eyes Now that she doesn't feel she can comment about my weight anymore she talks about how hard running is on my body.... hard on my knees, hard on my feet. She doesn't realize that I would barely be human if I didn't have running to keep my sanity -- also, didn't she always want me to lose weight? Did I misread those messages? Doesn't she realize this is preferable to counting calories (talk about hard on your body)?? /rant

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Fat runner

Not something about running but the directors of my rugby club once told me i was a crap coach because my techniques were odd. I went to another club and coached them to the play-off final (only to be disqualified because we had an illegal immigrant join the school and we fielded him in our team - i'd do the same thing today even if it meant losing the championship) Revenge really is a dish served cold since my new club has beaten my old one every time at any level in the last 5 years. The 'worst' things i heard while running? 'Run Forrest Run' and: 'you run like a plank' which isn't that bad since i actually run like a plank.
                                Goals:
                                Get weight down from 124kg to 100kg (currently 110kg)
                                Survive 1st 10k: 7/09/08 1:01:36 - Second 10k 5/10/08 57:42
                                Survive 1st HM: 26/10/08 2:06:04
                                Must find new goals ...