Bright and early or when the sun goes down? (Read 899 times)

Ben Running

Just curious what time of the day everyone runs and why. Also, your thoughts on whether or not there are any benefits for either time. I have read that AM running on an empty stomach is great for weight loss. I am mostly in the evening except my long run on Saturdays is always in the AM. I guess mostly because of my schedule however i really want to start getting up earlier and running in the morning because it is much cooler being in Florida.
      If you are in Florida, then you should definitely try to run in the morning. I was there in the summer last year and waiting until 8 or 9 in the morning was probably too long. I don't really know about the weight loss benefits of either, but I would think running in the morning is good because it will get your metabolism going strong for the whole day. I generally just run when it is most convenient for me. Generally this is in the afternoon or evening, but on days I am off or feeling especially motivated I love going in the morning. It's a good way to start the day.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Middle of the night for me... most of my runs start between 8:30pm and midnight. I hate mornings. The only advantage I can see is that it helps prep me for the overnight parts of runs... I love the wee dark hours of the races.
        rlemert

Depends on time of year, weather, my schedule, etc. I'm not a morning person so I don't get out extremely early, but in the summer I do try to run before it gets too hot and humid out. In the winter I'm more likely to wait till the afternoon (if I run outside) or evening (if I run at the 'Y') to let it warm up and get beyond my daily committments.
            AM whenever I can. I love our 6.30 group runs we do for PT. Usually I can't doing the school year, but whenever I can, I run as early as possible!
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I usually run around 8 am, after I get the kids out of the house. I find that if I don't run then, life gets in the way and I don't run at all that day.
              mikeymike

Early a.m. Monday through Friday, mostly because that's the only time I can be sure I'll get it done and it has the least impact on family or work. During the winter it sucks (around here) but this time of year is when it starts to be really nice to be a morning runner.

Runners run

MrH

After work always - running on a hilly trail but usually end up finishing in the twilight. Maybe in the warmer summer months I'll try some early runs, as the early evenings here will be in the 80s-90s and humid.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I run when I can run...seems like right now that is mostly in the evenings M-F...but I do tend to run in the morning on the weekend. I'm sure come August I will be getting up early M-F due to the horrible humidity in the summer!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

an amazing likeness

For me, not being the experienced long-distance runner that many folks here are...I'm all over the place, but best runs (easiest work for the pace) seem to be the late afternoon & evening ones. I do NOT move well early in the morning and avoid that whenever I can.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

I run in the morning early. It is the only option. When I started running I ran at lunch time - it was really the only option then The best time to run is when you will do it. I have noticed marginally faster times when I run a little later (assuming I dont totally screw up my food before running) but I'm guessing it has little effect on results.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Morning now that it's light out. The food thing for me seems to be that if I run either empty stomach or with just a banana, I do much better. When I do my races or really long runs I have to make sure I eat 3 hours before. Otherwise I feel it(burp it up) well into mile 5. Then my body settles and digestive shuts down anyways. The empty stomach thing and weight-loss has conflicting theories. One says it does because your body has no choice but to turn to itself for fuel. The other says you don't have enough energy to fuel a decent workout without eating. Me, I find running on an empty stomach is not a problem until I get past 3 miles.

Maggie & Molly

I love starting off the day with a run and do that once DST adjusts so that it is light out at 6:00 am. Just about there now!! Otherwise I run after work (5:30ish at night) or mornings on the weekends.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Best Present Ever

Early morning, often before the sun comes up, though I prefer to wait for dawn if I can. I find my morning runs are the best, and they're the only option for me on most days. I sometimes run a bit later (tomorrow I'll run at 8:30 after I drop the kids off), and occasionally can only get a run in midday or late afternoon. I rarely enjoy afternoon runs though. I'm sure I'd get used to them if that was my only option, but I always feel sluggish through the whole run and am glad when the run is over. It's sometimes hard to get out in the early morning dark, but I always perk up after a mile or so.
                                I work 8-4pm usually, and although I'd love to get used to morning running, I find that I most enjoy my afternoon runs. I get home, and am out the door by 4:30 usually. It's a really nice de-stresser after work, and then I find I'm ready to start studying. When it starts getting hot out, I'm sure I'll switch to AM running.