BELLIN 10K RUN, Green Bay, WI (Read 484 times)

SMART Approach

Curious how everyone did. Great day, a bit over 15,000 participants which beat the12,900 last year. A bit warm probably 68 at race time and a lot of sun. Really hit the last couple miles with wind at back. I crashed a bit the last 2 miles. My recent half at 1:32:40 (45 degrees) told me I could break 42 and recently did a 41:45 10k a few weeks ago but 52 degrees and cloudy. Bellin is a bit trickier course. I was on pace at 4 miles but slowed and lost about 35 seconds last 2 miles - legs felt great but no stomach. The lack of lactate threshold work really cost me in this race as did the heat. I never race great above 60 degrees. Did a 42:43 slowest in 7 years but great experience. Minute and 1/2 slower than last year but I did faster work last year and no hammy tendonitis. Very happy to beat Uta Pippig (who has plantar fascitis). I was running with friend and he yells "UTA". She grabs his backside and says, "keep in going babe". She is awesome! Fun time! Curious of your experience.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How cool to run with Uta...she seems like a fun personality. Pretty warm start--did you guys not get that cool front yesterday? We are much cooler and less humid today than we were 24 hours ago.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Yesterday was a bit cooler and dryer but cold front did come through but still very mild. Suppose to be low 80s today in Green Bay. Actually, it already is 80 at 11:45 but wind is picking up. Could have used that breeze it race. Yes, Uta is a hoot. She smiles the whole way. Love that little accent to. Also great to run by Frank Shorter and Bill Rogers for a bit till I passed their butts. Ha! Shouldn't feel too good about passing 60 plus year old men with injuries. I spoke with Roy Pirrung after race who is friends with Bill and said they still compete. Bill wanted to beat Frank in this race and I believe he just did. Joan Benoit was going for a world record in age group today (around 36 something) but just came short I believe. Race results aren't up yet. http://www.onlineraceresults.com/event/view_event.php?event_id=2679 A Kenyan male won it I believe in sub 29 min but not positive of final time. John Yuda and John KorirI believe it was a photo finish. A lot of world class runners there. www.bellinrun.org Couldn't get to see results because of mass of people. The whole race you were around 20-30 people and always dodging. But that's ok.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I may have to consider this race next year. My baby sister lives in GB, so I'd even have a place to stay. That would be a very cool event. I had no idea that many big names ran this one. I don't think I'd run it to PR, but just for the chance to see some of these legends. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

I'm a new runner.......started with the Couch to 5k last fall after losing 40 # or so..........anyway I didn't know if I could run the whole 10K so I signed up as a walker. (I'm 54 yo.) The farthest that I had run prior to this race is 4.1 miles and my normal route is 3.1 miles. I usually run every other day. Anyway, I did it!!! Pace: 12:19 My 5k split time was 37:30 and the 10K time was 1:16:28 Overall place 250 out of 3893, division place 206 out of 3595, and gender place 156 out of 2951. The stats came out in the Green Bay Press Gazette for just for my own curiousity I looked to see how I would have placed IF I signed up as a runner..............for my age group and gender I would have placed 108 out of 161 and that would have been great with me for my first race. My thighs are a little sore today but nothing I can't deal with. Completing this first event is priceless to me. Barb