Is it OK to run through a community neighborhood where your home is not? (Read 1111 times)

jingchunyu

Is it OK to run ((and to cycle for that matter)) through a community neighborhood where your home is not? And the same question for those big company's big parking lot, etc?
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I hope so, because I do it all the time! I love going to different cities and finding nice neighborhoods to run through. I found a beautiful section of San Antonio that my friend and I ran through. You can be nosier than if you were driving by in a car!
      Jill_B

I fly.

Is it OK to run ((and to cycle for that matter)) through a community neighborhood where your home is not? And the same question for those big company's big parking lot, etc?
        Unless it's a gated community I can't see why running or cycling would be a problem.

Bring it on.

Sure, why not? I run through a neighborhood where Jags and Mercedes are a dime a dozen (I have a Civic and and Element. Neither new.) So I look out to spot if the Bentley is in the drive of one house. I wonder, what the hell do these people do? I tell ya, these peeps have like the only runnable streets around when it's really bad out.

Menace to Sobriety

Neighborhoods are probably fine, I do it all the time. Most neighborhood roads are public. Company parking lots maybe be another issue. Most probably won't care, but they are most likely private property. Alot of companies are pretty antsy about security these days, so you may be asked to leave the premises and possibly be cited for trespassing.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Right on Hereford...

I don't even understand why anyone would ask this question? Confused Explain?
              xor

Heh. I can't directly 'splain, but there's a history here. jingchunyu has asked all kinds of, er, interesting questions over the past couple years... people really got into his stuff on coolrunning. FWIW, they seem to be sincere and nontrollish. In this case, I think the question is about gated communities, though I do not know.

jingchunyu

I asked because I myself did trigger an event. I was out in my own neighborhood. As I passed on the sidewalk and heard some sounds coming out from a house so I stared into the window as I moved forward. After a while, the police came and stopped me and questioned me. They let me go after the issue was cleared. The fact that I lived in that neighborhood might help solve the issue quickly. The cops asked where I live and the name of my immediate neighbor. They held me not moving and actually sent another cop to teh address I told them to be my home and asked my wife if I did live there. It was during the night after 10:00PM. So I figured if running in a neighborhood during nighttime might upset some people. I don't know how that neighrbor reported to the cops but my impression from cops questions was that the cops thought I came close to the window as if I was right under the window peeping into thw house. Nevertheless it seemes I inspired some admiration from cops when I told them I had run a marathon.
                    I think this is a perfectly legitimate question! I'm sorry you got stopped by the cops during your run. When I run through a neighborhood, regardless of whether it's mine or not, I admire the houses but I try not to look too long *into* them. SR, once, my DH and I drove through Mercer Island on a Sunday drive (we had just bought a new used Chevy Citation). A cop car followed us...heehee.

A Saucy Wench

I'd have an awfully boring loop if I stuck to my own neighborhood. All the big houses are up on the hill here so I can drool and run my hill training at the same time. I suppose hill repeaters COULD be mistaken for prowling. Of course it isnt so much drooling now as feeling good about not being in foreclosure like most of the big homes on the hill. Company parking lots are a totally different matter. If it was a place like Target or other store I would say you would be fine, but where I used to work (semiconductor manufacturer) you would be trespassing and depending on how bored the security guard was you might get stopped and asked to leave. I doubt they would do anything more unless you kept coming back.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MrH

I'm not bothered if strangers run through my neighborhood. But if they seem to be paying undue attention to our house I'll let them know their interest is unwelcome. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I enjoy running all over town - I like to see what is going on and I see plenty while on my feet. Lately I've been amazed by all the tree damage all over town due to a bad ice storm we had in mid-December. In the spring I enjoy watching everything bloom - in fall I enjoy the falling leaves and pretty colors - in winter I enjoy the xmas decorations and like having the pavement to myself.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No. One should only run on their own property. That is why you have a driveway.
                              I sometimes run through some nice neighborhoods, pretty far from my home and the residents seem to tolerate us well enough. Some of them even allow us to drop off water on their lawns/offer us water during the summer for our group runs.
                              Ringmaster

My neighborhood is poorly lit and has no sidewalks or bike lanes, so yes, I run a mile to go through the much better lit, handsomely landscaped, planned neighborhood near me. I don't think anyone minds. It's not gated, and though "No Soliciting Signs" are posted at every entrance, there are no "No Trespassing" signs.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile