Heel Inserts for calf strain (Read 875 times)

I have an ongoing problem that crops up a couple times a year. During a run, I'lll feel a pain right in the middle of my left calf. (almost always my left one). Sometimes it's sharp and sudden, other times not as sharp, but it only takes a few minutes to becomes obvious I need to stop running as the pull get worse with each step. Its difficult to say for sure, but I think its hills that are causing my problem.Or at least, that is when I sometimes initially feel it. Yesterday, 4 miles into a 7 miler I was climbing a moderately steep, but long hill and I felt it. It wasn't horribly sharp this time so I stopped gave it a rub down and started up again. I needed to stop for good at 4.5 as I was starting to alter my stride to alleviate Has anybody had any luck using a heel insert to address an ongoing problem with minor calf strains/tears? If so, any recommendations. Thanks for any insight!

I started running again back in January. I am prone to a tight left calf and achilles problems on my left side. On the right side, my shin seems to be the weak link and acts up occasionally. I am there is probably some underlying cause, ie muscle imbalance that is causing my problems, but heel inserts definitely help me. I use them in my running shoes all the time. When it was at its worst point several monthes ago, I used the heel inserts all the time and moved them from shoe to shoe during the day, whatever I was wearing. I recently backed off and only use them now in my running shoes. I also switched to wearing running shoes at work. Eventually I hope to remove them entirely, but for now they work.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.