Non - homogenized milk (Read 599 times)

A Saucy Wench

OK Trent, my first experience with non-homogenized milk is not going so good. First I only found it in plastic, and I hate the taste of milk in plastic, but wth. But all the fat was so solid at the top I couldnt get the milk out. Poked a knife in and managed to dislodge the solid and pour a little out, but the cream was all solid, no way to mix any of it back in with the milk. It kept plugging the hole. Had to pour the whole thing into a different container because the lid was broken and all of the fat stayed in a solid lump in the original container. I couldnt get it out. So I guess I have skim or 1% now (but it was for my baby who needs fat) Is it usually already butter off the shelf? I am guessing this was a problem with this bottle because they say to save the cream for your coffee.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

That sounds odd, whenever I get nonhomogenized milk the cream is definitely still a liquid. You can just shake the container and it mixes back in.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Ostrich runner

We don't have a cow...we have a bull.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sometimes the cream at the top is solid, sometimes liquid. When solid, I usually scoop it out with a small spoon and either put it in another container, feed it to the kids, mix it into a recipe with milk or return it to the bottle after I have poured a glass, then shake it up. My kids do love it tho. Yes. Skimming the cream off the top in this way is the traditional way to make "skim" milk. It will have between 0.5 and 1% or so fat content, but tastes full and delicious. The plastic jugs thing is odd, tho. What is the brand?

A Saucy Wench

Sometimes the cream at the top is solid, sometimes liquid. When solid, I usually scoop it out with a small spoon and either put it in another container, feed it to the kids, mix it into a recipe with milk or return it to the bottle after I have poured a glass, then shake it up. My kids do love it tho. Yes. Skimming the cream off the top in this way is the traditional way to make "skim" milk. It will have between 0.5 and 1% or so fat content, but tastes full and delicious. The plastic jugs thing is odd, tho. What is the brand?
            It was...Organic Valley I think? Since the jug bit the dust upon opening I no longer have it. There was a brand I saw today in glass jars (that came in whole, lowfat and skim already) which sounds heavenly for taste, but dd is learning to pour her own milk and I have marble tile floors. Shocked

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pour the milk for DD...she can practice with orange juice Wink

A Saucy Wench

how old is your little one? 4 months? Roll eyes I can do it myself is a BIG deal Big grin Besides ...she wont drink juice. Tongue

Or what about pouring the milk into a different container when you get home and then she can still pour it herself?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

4.5 months, 6 years, 9 years. I got 3. I pour all the drinks in glass. I agree, pour it out into another container.