Just an intro (Read 158 times)

UseMyShoes

Hello.

I don't know much about running, but I've always wanted to be a runner.   Every time I tried to work up to running, I'd have some weird injury and I'd get discouraged like perhaps I'm just not built for it.   Always been moderately overweight.

Long story short, when everything shut down because of CV19 I just started walking lots and lots almost every day, sometimes 70-80 miles a week.  I'm back at work now so my daily average is lower but still above 8 miles a day, I try to make them a rigorous pace.  I think I've lost around 25lbs since I started.  I began taking a protein powder supplement about a week ago after realizing there's probably not enough in my diet, and I finally feel like my legs are getting strong enough to start running and not twerk an ankle, knee, or hip.   So I'm working some gentle jogging into my long walks.

I'm not looking for any specific running advice at the moment, but I would like to meet some people who are runners and whom I could talk to about my endeavors.  I have one IRL friend who is a runner, we go for a walk once a week and I hope to start running with her soon.

I did run track one year in grade school and cross country one  year in middle school, even though I was "the fat kid" and met with much derision at the time.   I am 36 now and my hurt feelings about that stuff are finally starting to fade away into the past.  I just want to run because it feels good.

Thanks and nice to meet you.

Jessica

dumrunner

This is awesome, congrats to you and welcome.

I was the slow kid on the grade school track team and I hated running.  For some reason, I started running again in my 30s, and liked it.  Sounds like you're doing great.  Keep it up!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

robin from maine

Sounds like a success story in progress. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

PDoe

Great attitude.Great approach. You should do well, probably better than you currently imagine.

Luciplay

You are aweosme and doing it great, keep that attitude!

that's an incredible amount of walking! you might be in uncharted waters for going from walk to run. you might be able to transition into jogging faster than most people.

most cities have some group or club that loves new runners. some are organized through facebook or similar social media. the difficulty in 2020 of course is that the social part of running is mostly out for now.

best of luck.

Hi Jessica,

That's a lot of walking!  I think the way you have progressed has been incredibly smart and exactly what is needed to avoid injury

Keep the transition to running as you have already planned very slow so that your body can get used to the extra force you are not used to.  For now, if you feel any pain (soreness is ok) during any of your runs make sure to walk immediately and end the session.

Wait until there is no pain again to resume whether it be a day, a week...  If you are still able to walk during that time do so.  If you never get any pain which is also possible keep the progress slow and make sure to get your rest including 8+ hours of sleep.

Also, I know that sometimes those who are trying to lose weight will avoid carbs.  This can be ok for walking, but not as great for running if you get serious about running faster.  Just something to keep in mind as you move along.

Good luck!!!  You have turned a very negative year into a positive for you so great job!

I never cease to be amazed when I hear such a story! I think you are working up to the running in logical and careful steps. With that kind of attitude and work ethic you should be running in no time. As otter1 mentioned, be very sensitive to any feelings of discomfort when you transition to the run. The next step from there is to slowly work in the cardio component. May the Force be with you Jessica!