homemade energy bars (Read 1073 times)

Giant

I've been searching for months trying to find the perfect recipe. Something that is not full of fat or too much sugar. Want protein and carbs. The bars in the stores are very expensive. Do any of you make your own?
      The stuff I've been making isn't necessarily an energy bar, but they are easy and tasty. I mix peanut butter, powdered milk, and honey and roll them into balls. You can add raisins, sunflower seeds or whatever else sounds good to you. I keep them in my fridge and they give a nice little boost.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How do you plan to use these? What is wrong with a sandwich? Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Wink
          Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Wink
          Not to take over the thread... but I am reading "In Defense of Food" is that a reference to Michael Pollan's books?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeppers. Introduced in his NYT article and in the Omnivore's Dilemma.

Lazy idiot

Yeppers. Introduced in his NYT article and in the Omnivore's Dilemma.
              Hijack complete. I'm nearly finished with The Omnivore's Dilemma. Good stuff.

Tick tock

I've been making my own protein/energy bars to act as convenience food when I finish my workouts, but I haven't gotten it to the point where I'm ready to share the recipe. They don't taste bad, but they aren't necessarily the most tasty treat out there. My beef jerky or apple leather recipes, on the other hand, are well worth sharing. Big grin

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

C-R

My beef jerky or apple leather recipes, on the other hand, are well worth sharing. Big grin
                  and..... You can't just let the group hang like that. Lets hear those recipes. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good Eats had an episode about cheap, healthy, protein/energy bars. Didn't try any of them but I'm sure they're good. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_38665,00.html
                    happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Rachael Ray had Robin McGraw on her show and she made these energy bars......... I haven't tried them but they looked good! Robin McGraw's Family Snack Ingredients Non-stick cooking spray or melted butter, as needed for pan 3 cups large marshmallows 3/4 cup nut butter, such as cashew, almond, peanut or hazelnut 1 10 to 12-ounce box brown rice cereal 1/2 cup dried cranberries 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted 2/3 cup chopped cashews, toasted Preparation Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a medium baking sheet with the nonstick cooking spray or melted butter. In a microwave-safe bowl, zap the marshmallows and nut butter, stirring after 1 minute, until melted, about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice cereal, cranberries, pecans and cashews to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir gently to combine – be careful not to crush up the bits of cereal too much. Either wet your hands or spray them lightly with the nonstick cooking spray and turn the cereal marshmallow mixture out onto the greased baking sheet. Press it into the pan using your slick hands so that it's evenly distributed. Set the pan aside and let the bars set up, about 30 minutes. Once set, cut them into squares and serve.
                      Lisa3.1

Homemade ... that's interesting. I will try that. Thanks.
                          Rachael Ray had Robin McGraw on her show and she made these energy bars......... I haven't tried them but they looked good! Robin McGraw's Family Snack Ingredients Non-stick cooking spray or melted butter, as needed for pan 3 cups large marshmallows ......
                          This won't work for me. Most of the marshmallows would be gone by the time preparation would start. Clowning around The recipe looks good. I am going to try it out this weekend (I'll by two bags of marshmallow. Or three).
                          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                            Not homemade, but just had some of this after a run: http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/Vosges.jpg Mmmmm.
                            Giant

Run-to-win, are you out there. We're still waiting for those recipes. !! Cool

and..... You can't just let the group hang like that. Lets hear those recipes. Big grin
                                Apple leathers are easy - you could go to all the trouble of making your own apple sauce (recommended) but buying jars of it in the store works fine. I make my own during apple season but just use store bought once I run out. Try not to make/buy stuff that is too watery if you can. At a minimum, I'll usually dump a bunch of cinnamon into the jar and mix it in good with a knife before spreading it out on the platters; I've found that it doesn't really bake in very well when you just put it on the top and dehydrate. You can also mix the apple sauce with pureed strawberries or blueberries or other fruits if you want. Just spread it on the platters in the dehydrator, let it run for 8-12 hours at around 135°-140° (although it tasted fine when I made it at the same time as the jerky and cooked it at 155° this last time...) If you don't have a dehydrator, then you can use aluminum foil and just leave your oven door cracked, but it's probably cheaper to just buy a dehydrator if you are going to make this more than once. As for jerky, here's my general recipe: http://news.runtowin.com/2005/06/24/20060624_jerky.html I rarely actually measure anything; I just guestimate how much will taste good. Heheh.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)