Fast/Slow twitch ratio (Read 617 times)

I am aware that we all have a ratio between fast and slow twitch muscles. As i remember, the fast twitch can better handle your speed training and interval type training and slow twitch are more suited to long slow distance or endurance running (If anyone has a better expaination for me then thats great). Im reading a book on how to build speed (Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald) but have only read a few pages so far (and scanned a few pages here and there). But in the book they mention that in this case or that case, they were customized one runner or anothers training bacause or the fact that they had more Fast twitch or more Slow Twitch...... How do I determine my ratio of fast twitch or slow twitch muscles????

Champions are made when no one is watching

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Muscle biopsy. Everything else is just an estimate.
      mikeymike

The more practical answer is: you don't. Just run.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am reminded of this thread - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/Post/2fe2aa6b6a444b4b8098a3a19535838d#focus It includes this Scout gem -
          I think the question is wrong. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the percentage is. What matters is how we as individuals respond to training. No amount of science is going to be able to predict that for us, at least not currently. The only way to know which type of training we respond to better is to go out and try different types of training. The question is not, "Fast Twitch vs. Slow Twitch". The question becomes, "What mix of intensities seems to give me the maximum amount of benefit". It doesn't matter what those muscle types correlate to, not in a practical sense. Might some physiologist out there find interest in it? Possibly. But even then, it does no practical good, since only by looking at past training and the eventual response can we see what it is. Of course, by that point, you already have an idea as to what's working and what's not. I understand the need for some to find out the "why". I have no issue with that. This is not an indictment of the science crowd. This is, however, a matter of looking at the right problem.
          xor

You do not want a muscle biopsy. Trust me. Go drink a beer instead.