Newbies on this forum - rather long, and maybe comet-like ;) (Read 1169 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

But can you answer correctly and completely, if tersely, if you are frustrated or tired? Must the post be devoid of humor?
    Agreed. To be honest, at first Trent, Scout and a few others would throw me off with their style, but you get used to it. Their knowledge us unparalleled, and I always appreciate any and all advice, especially when I'm about to do something monumentally stupid (like cut all carbs from my diet). We can't ask people to not be themselves, and it would make this a boring place (like any moderated forum would be). We all need to be adults here. Someone says something you don't like, have a thick skin and ignore it. If a newbie asks a question and you feel someone is unnecessarily harsh, make a comment to reassure the noob and point them in a better direction. If no one is harsh, they never find the search button and learn the informal rules of interaction. There is a balance, but this has become another comet topic unto itself (per expectations). There's no answer here, and the forums will contine to govern themselves as they always have. It gives RA the personlity that many like, and if a newbie doesn't like it, they leave and go elsewhere.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

A Saucy Wench

Actually, we shouldnt pick on Trent because he did exactly what you asked. He answered the question and then did humor. Thats fine. I think a lot of the ire is more directed at some of the other threads when you have to wade through pages and pages of snark to find the answers. And then who wouldnt be frightened off by Sean Connery in a diaper? You'd have to be pretty sick and twisted to find that funny. In which case you should come to the swamp Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One should always pick on Trent.
          Well if you want to get picky, there is no point in posting any question at all. Just go to google and search there. I'm sure all questions can be answered with a little search. So what is the point of the threads? Maybe a meeting place for runners to meetup with each other. No need for any running topics to be posted, if the inquisitive new runner just turns his search to google. Many more perspectives could be found there. Any shoe questions go to shoe sites. etc.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well if you want to get picky, there is no point in posting any question at all. Just go to google and search there. I'm sure all questions can be answered with a little search. So what is the point of the threads? Maybe a meeting place for runners to meetup with each other. No need for any running topics to be posted, if the inquisitive new runner just turns his search to google. Many more perspectives could be found there. Any shoe questions go to shoe sites. etc.
            Heh.
            Scout7

Trent, your GSP privileges are about to be revoked. Back in your cage. You've been a bad monkey. Sorry, folks, I thought we were ready to release him into public, but I guess not yet.
              Lisa3.1

Trent, your GSP privileges are about to be revoked. Back in your cage. You've been a bad monkey. Sorry, folks, I thought we were ready to release him into public, but I guess not yet.
                LOL

Dave

But it's coming across now as some people asking others to just not be themselves. It's that sort of thing that makes me hesitant to post in certain forums.
                  I'm all for individuality but it's not too much to ask for folks to temper their responses in the forum for newbies to ask questions. Unless we don't really want newbies.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

#artbydmcbride

teko socks, thorlos socks, and smartwool socks are good socks. My favorite is the teko socks.
                    Thanks RAer, I'll look for some teko socks. Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

One should always pick on Trent.
                      your wish is my command. sometime someplace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Half Fanatic #846

Ann - Your grammar is as good as or better than most of us! Smile I usually lurk, but occaisionally post. My take is this: My impression is that a user group (the Swamp) was formed specifically so that any of the more outgoing members could play happily in their own medium without insulting or embarassing others, yet continue to participate in the main forum as well. I enjoy reading many of those threads, some which are quite entertaining and unique. But it seems to me that in the last few months some may have forgotten why they formed or joined that group in the first place, exemplified by the bantering about inside jokes in the public forums with newbies thinking WTH? And a few others have "jumped on the bandwagon", so it's not just a few people in a clique. I'm probably guilty, too. This is not to say that there should be no humor, joking, or playfulness in the main forum. I would probably leave if it were all serious (and boring). No question is stupid for a learner, and if there's a little humor in the answer, all the better. If anyone gets tired of answering the same old questions, or tired of telling people to use the search function, then don't feel so obligated to answer. Someone else will. Please be more considerate of people asking serious (to them, at least) questions. Except for the discovery of a troll of course - then anything goes. Evil grin The way that this site grows, and becomes more useful and interesting is by attracting members who feel comfortable here and look forward to participating. A LOT of potential participants are lurkers who only read the forums because they are intimidated by some of the responses they think they might get if they were to contribute. This is based on how they see others treated. Yeah, there is an anonymity associated with the internet, but most people still take the written word to heart. So please keep that in mind. Play - but play nice! That's my rant, Smile Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, the swamp is a milage group for folks who strive to run 2000 miles in a year. It is not a humor group, as should be obvious by most of the lame attempts at humor there. Wink Oh, and for the record, I am a troll.

Half Fanatic #846

Oh, and for the record, I am a troll.
                            We know. Wink

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

C-R

What an interesting lunch read. Since I was one of the posters in the original thread, I thought I would go back and re-read the whole thread. Frankly, there is some very useful responses and some very funny stuff in there (not the pictures - no way - no how). Go re-read the whole thing and judge for yourself if you won't laugh and find some answers This thread has taken a life its own. As a newbie (less than a year on the post) and not an expert runner, I feel free to share my thoughts. Lighten up a bit. It can be intimidating to get involved in anything new but this is a pretty darn tame board (except the Swamp but that's a whole 'nother story - peruse that at your own peril). Try posting at letsRun and see the results. When I first got here I spent time reading posts, searching for info and no posting (personal choice). Primarily because I needed a new online training log. What I learned was there are some funny, snarky, trite, friendly, wordy, and (fill in the word)people on here. Guess what - it mirrors going to any large "party" of people with a similar interest. Not once have I ever felt belittled or intimidated by the responders for a question I posted. There were some jokes I may not have "gotten" but as Scout said "ignore those". BTW - I still don't get the stuff about Scout's mom - but I digress. There have been some great training posts I have incorporated and I believe have helped me improve as well as learn more about long-term, healthy running. I'm done with the vent - soap box is open for the next person and although I can't go back to the Swamp, cage or hole in the ground since that's not where I started, I will return to answering questions as best I can from my limited experience with a little self-depracating humor. Incidentally, engaging in some of the give and take help others learn your personality and style. Much like talking with people you get to meet on a frequent basis. Wink Ok - the soap box is really open now. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Lazy idiot

BTW - I still don't get the stuff about Scout's mom
                                Meh, she's not that great.

Tick tock