Newbies on this forum - rather long, and maybe comet-like ;) (Read 1169 times)

xor

I think "lighten up a bit" is a wonderful tip, both for the crotchety oldies as well as for the newbies and everyone in between. I can explain the Burt Reynolds picture succinctly. It was a response to the previous post before the picture wherein that poster mentioned a picture of a scantily-clad Burt Reynolds (incorrectly). It also occured long after the question had been answered and the thread was going whacko. I suspect that while I was part of the problem in that thread, I think the vibe existed before I got here. Or before that picture got posted. Anyway. This started in part because 1) some people like me are random and newbies don't get that (fair point) and 2) some people are getting unhappy that questions are being repeatedly asked. As for #1, fine. As for #2... This is freaking Running 101. 99% of all questions have been asked before. Repeatedly. That's the nature of the beast. If the response is supposed to be "use search, dammit", then there might as well not be any questions. If the response is supposed to be "use search, and oh by the way, try different search terms" then that's a little better... maybe a lesson with people on using search is in order? But even so, people are STILL gonna ask. This is why people read Runners World and sooner or later many of the same people stop. The information repeats ad nauseam (which is why in depth articles about specific races and/or people add to a subscriber's lifetime, because those are actually different). Back on CR, newbie consisted of two things: 1) people's little group threads and 2) the same questions over and over. Here, the group threads have a much better home (the user groups). Plus, some of the newbie groups stayed on Active. Which leaves us with questions. Somewhere back in this thread, the point was made: if you don't want to answer the same question for the umpteenth time, don't. Someone else will. It'll be fine. I will probably still post random shit, probably not that often though. I will ALWAYS explain it when asked. And I try really really hard not to attack people.

Giant Flaming Dork

Trent, your GSP privileges are about to be revoked. Back in your cage.
      GSP? MTA: Ironically... "Your search - GSP - were not found in any public forum posts." (Although I really should have known better to do that first...)

http://xkcd.com/621/

Roses Revenge

My goodness. We're talkative today aren't we. Isn't anybody working? A couple of random thoughts - I'm surprised to learn the comet is only 3 weeks old. It feels like it's been around a lot longer than that but that just may be because I was a newbie when I saw it and it was getting reactions like it wasn't new. About the search. I participate pretty regularly on two other forums (not running related) where the search function is irrevocably broken and since that's where I spend a lot of time, I don't often think about search on any forum. On one of them, I can get better search results by typing a thread name into google.com than I can from the search box on the forum itself. So, I'm a newbie and I'll try to remember to search here. But if I ask a newbie question it's usually because I couldn't find the answer, I wasn't sure what I was asking, or I felt my circumstances were different. It's a little strange to me that I've become an athlete in my old age after so many years as a couch potato. Rose

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

xor

Hi Rose. Many of us, though not all of us, came from an older (and now basically defunct) message board called Cool Running. And for a long, long time, Cool Running's search was really hosed up, just like your other boards. To the point that they finally turned it off. I'd say your experience is not that uncommon. Most folks who came here from CR probably remember that. "comet" existed over there for several years, though it wasn't all that popular. But the idea that some threads have a habit of returning after short/medium/long absences (like a comet) was definitely part of the culture. I'm a newbie here too, but an oldbie to running and message boards. There will always be people who goof off (me!) and snark in message board threads. Hopefully, newbies can develop a reasonably thick skin and the ability to move past that to find the chunks of good info buried within. And over time, they can also start picking up the in jokes if they so choose (or ask about them). Or not if they don't. All of us, new and old, could probably utilize search better. Most of us simply don't.

Roses Revenge

Yup. We all snark sometimes. I recently lost a long term friend over a snark post on a board that I didn't even know she read. Nothing specific about my name (which isn't Rose) that would have identified it as me, but she figured it out and went ballistic about something I was venting about.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Feedin trolls since 1997

Having been on the internet since the time of relay and old school usenet
              >>TELL SRLOPEZ@UGETM.BITNET dude, you are old. >>
              Chris UK

Write more - most of it easy, some of it funny, none of it harsh. PS - I get 600 miles out of my shoes. Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Dave

Write more - most of it easy, some of it funny, none of it harsh. PS - I get 600 miles out of my shoes. Wink
                  That was so nice. I'm lucky if I get 300 out of my shoes. I wear the outside of my heals before the rest of the shoe.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

xor

>>TELL SRLOPEZ@UGETM.BITNET dude, you are old. >>
                    Nice. wustl!lopezr segmentation fault (core dumped)

#artbydmcbride

((srlopez' core))

Runners run

xor

<obscure> Boobie hug! </obscure>

A couple of random thoughts - I don't often think about search on any forum. On one of them, I can get better search results by typing a thread name into google.com than I can from the search box on the forum itself. Rose
                          HEh! Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Just Be

I see nothing wrong with answering the same question over and over and over in the Running 101 forum. Just becasue someone came later than someone else doesn't mean they should be penalized. And while the search feature is there, I don't think it's a big deal if the newbie fails to take advantage of it. I think it's the obligation of the regular members to welcome newer members who are genuinely interested in becoming a part of the community or using it to get an honest answer and move on. Helping new members unconditionally and equally well is part of maintaining a good community atmosphere, and that is a major part of what will make any place a more attractive new dwelling. If the more experienced people don't want to be bothered with answering the same question again they can always use the search themselves, find a good link to the topic that has already been discussed in length, and link it with a note saying as such. No big deal. It takes probably all of 5 minutes and the older member fulfilled their unwritten role.
                            JakeKnight

Apparently I started a brouhaha. A kerfluffle, if you will. A tempest in a b-cup. Let me reiterate one point that keeps getting missed: the point of doing research before asking a very obvious question - is not necessarily to avoid annoying the veterans. The *main* benefit in doing that research is for the new runner who's posting the question. Since that's the one and only way to benefit from prior posts. The only one losing out when they skip the research is the new runner. We have real experts here. We have a runner here who's mentor was freakin' Lydiard himself. We have 2:30 marathoners and experienced ultramarathoners and collegiate athletes and state record holders here. And those people don't tend to answer questions more than once. On any obvious topic, I guarantee there have been long, long threads, full of detailed discussion on the topic. Sometimes ridiculously detailed. And sadly, what I now see over and over, is a new person skipping the research, then asking that same question, then getting very little real help. So they never see those awesome threads full of info. At best, they get a couple tepid responses, often from less experienced runners. Or some snarky comet sorta comments. Sometimes a few of us will, as Runner92 just suggested, do a quick search FOR them and post a few links to get them started. Then, ironically, we usually get accused of being rude ourselves. Like pointing out the search function is a slap in the face or something. So then we quit doing that, too. The bottom line is that its the new runner that loses out. And sadly, I think after this little dust-up, people will be even less likely to answer those questions. Now instead of links and comets, they may just get ignored. Which helps nobody. It really saddens me when I see a topic pop up for the tenth time in a month (or week), a topic that I know last month or last year led to a great discussion, with actual expert commentary ... and now gets hardly any response, none of it from the experts. This place is a goldmine of information. If you want to keep posting the same question, that's fine. Srlopez is right - the veterans can just skip the thread. But if you want that gold, you've got to go digging.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

#artbydmcbride

Yes but....just doing research means you miss out on the camraderie and the neighborly chit chat! And maybe miss a boobie hug or two. I think the experienced oldies should just HTFU and post golden responses over and over (or cut and paste them). Smile (my 2 cents) Cool

Runners run