New here (Read 67 times)

Gizmo2019

hi everyone!

its been one of dreams to run a marathon. The longest I ever ran was a measly 5 miles way back in my early 20s. I’m early 40s now and only running treadmill 1.5-1.75 miles a day, and walk about 2 miles once a week.

i had plantar fasciitis which is finally getting better and now runners knee 😭. So I’m doing the hip strengthening things and finally stretching bc I realize I’m not 20 anymore.

im looking for a fairly flat course for my first race. I’m in SF  but considering NY, chgo or Sacramento. This is for 2019.

any thoughts? I have a lot of research to do as these last 20 yrs I’ve been busy popping out babies....

an amazing likeness

There are dozens (or more) good discussion topics here in 'Running 101' -- most titled "new here" or "just starting out", and the like. Recommend you scan through them and pick the one which resonates with you and ask for additional information.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gizmo2019

Thanks, will do.

Well while its true that there is lots of info here in the subsection, you could also look at a couch to 5k running program like on http://www.c25k.com/

These are great. You could for example run 1 mile then walk 1 mile then run another mile and increase the time spent on the treadmill until you are able to cover 3 miles running at slow speed.

In general: take your time and take it easy. There are far too many runners around here who quit after a couple of weeks but the real benefit comes from embedding it into your every day life.

Best of luck!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

dhuffman63

Trails

NY, CHG are somewhat hard to get into I believe and since you live in SF why not Sacramento as your target.  Traveling across the country for your marathon might not be a good idea.  Flat is a relative term also...take a look at the elevation profile of various marathons and while they advertise as flat many have rolling hills.  There's one in Biloxi that is flat or you could look in FL as it's a flat state (grew up there biggest hills are the over passes.)

As for running, look at the Galloway run/walk program.  Start with 5k's then 10k's and a couple of Half Marathons.  PF and runners knee can be caused by too much, too soon, too fast.  The C25k is a good start.  And there is no shame in walking.  I walk 50ks and have done 5 now.  I'm doing my first 50 miler at 55 years old and I started 3 years ago.  You can do it but be patient.

Gizmo2019

Mickjogger-

thanks for that website! And thx for the tips. I’m hoping this time is it for me to train. I’ve always been stopped by life. I’m still trying to figure out a good schedule bc I still have a wild 2.5 yr old at home.

i know I have to get back on the pavement at some point but wondering how often I can train on the treadmill (I bring the toddler with 😬 thus my run is limited to 30 min...I might be able to get to 45-60 min tops w him).

i stopped pavement running bc of my knees and was so humiliated to have run on something that “pushes you along, like a wimp.” But I’m trying to be safer this time.

i feel like as soon as I get back to the pavement, it’s going to be like starting from scratch.

I have been hearing more and more about ppl starting in their 50s but I’m the type that needs it now!!! In case I die or something 🙄

will try to be patient

Gizmo2019

Dhuffman-

thanks! I’m originally from the east coast and then “co-originally” from chgo. I used to think those were the biggest marathons (and Boston). I still have family in both places so I’d get free babysitting plus fun for the fam. Also my goal is just one marathon bc honestly I don’t think my body was meant for running! Knock kneed , strange gait, posture etc. so I want to go big if possible. Why hard to get in? Bc ppl register super fast?

i will check out Galloway and elevations. My pf has been going on for over a year And that is just from running around the house with poor arch support. But it’s almost healed. My knees doing better since I started stretching and strengthening core muscles.

i am ok with walking a little, and I definitely have no big goals of racing for a great time slot. I’m ok with the full 6 hrs!!! Ideally I’d like to finish around 4 hrs. So all I’m doing this week is increasing speed. I’ll try those programs tho. I already peeked and I think it’s great that you can essentially have a coach in your ear with the podcasts.

hardest part for me is the time commitment. And the technology! The most techy thing I own is an iPhone. I borrow my daughters iPod for running!

thats so cool about your races. 50 miles, geez you must have to change shoes half way through!! Awesome!