Stomach Issues On Long Run (Read 844 times)

Bugs

Normally I do LR on Saturday Mornings, but did my last LR last night instead. It was (80F) at the start of it and my legs were more tired than normal. At the end my stomach got really sick. I only ran 20, not the 22 I had hoped for and slower than normal. When I got home I ate some spaghetti and felt so much better. I think my problem was I drank more poweraide then normal and should have mixed it with water. Now I wish I had tried drinking some water when I felt sick. My first sign something was wrong is I had a sort of heart-burn feeling. Probably should have drank water my next pit-stop instead of poweraide but instead I chugged a half bottle of poweraide. My plan is to use more GU in the beginning as I’ve never had any issues with GUI and not to touch the poweraide till about mile 12. I'm worried I'll get sick now in the race and wondering if I should carry some Pepto-Bismol pills or 'something' with incase this happens. Anyone have any race strategy for what to do if your stomach decides to revolt? I could really use a confidence boost that it was OK to run the 20 slower than usual and not the 22. I have run a total of 6 – 20 mile LRs for this marathon and at least one 10 mile pace run every week. Although I’ve moved my goal from sub-four to 3:55. Think I'm going to bonk?

Bugs

mikeymike

I've had what I think you're describing on some long runs and once in a marathon (Boston '04 when it was 86 degrees.) Here's what I think went down. I am NOT a medical doctor. Obviously. You may have just tried to drink too much. On a hot day, you simply cannot replace fluids as fast as you lose them when running...if you try, you wind up with a lot of fluids sloshing around in your stomach that your body isn't able to absorb. If those fluids contain a lot of sugar and stuff, like powerade, it could even make it worse. In the end, your stomach may revolt and you may get sick. Also, if you're successful in taking in more fluids than your body wants, and you're out there long enough, there's the risk of hyponatraemia. Which you really don't want. The answer is to drink to thirst and only to thirst. And water is better than sports drink (for hydration). And yes it was definitely okay to run 20 slower than usual versus trying to push a 22 in hot weather. You've got to make adjustments for the weather sometimes and use your head. You've got 3 20-ish miler long runs this month, you're good to go.

Runners run

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I'm a GU and water girl myself. That is all my tummy can take. I use Nuuns after I run. What also works for me is to make sure that I am hydrating the day before a long run and if I'm running in the evening, that whole day. I know people check their urine to see if it is clear and not dark yellow after a long run to make sure they have hydrated properly, but I find if I check the day before and make sure that I am hydrated I fair better. Totally unscientific but it works for me.
        Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
        Ringmaster

Hey, Bugs, I'm nowhere near your distance but FWIW, evening runs are always messier for me w/ the stomach issues. More in the system. I try to hydrate really well all day, like Aimster said, but even then my evening runs are usually not as good or long. I'm glad you used your head and I don't think this is a predictor of a future bonk at all! You're well trained!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Bugs

I'm a GU and water girl myself. That is all my tummy can take. I use Nuuns after I run.
            How many GUs would take in a marathon? Carrying more than 5 seems like a real pain. Last TCM I was so scared of any issues that I didn't eat breakfast and only took 4 - GUs. That worked great for a LR but not for marathon day. Infact I really like to run without eating but I learned the hard way this is not a good idea. My blood sugar got really low and I was drained the last 10K. I will eat breakfast (three pieces of toast) and have 5 GUs, should that be enough calories? Second marathon I did the GU earling in the marathon, and Ultima later. Was a great marathon. However I think ultima (even though it tastes like toilet water) is easier on stomach. I think I took in between 1000-1200 calories.

Bugs

Bugs

And yes it was definitely okay to run 20 slower than usual versus trying to push a 22 in hot weather. You've got to make adjustments for the weather sometimes and use your head. You've got 3 20-ish miler long runs this month, you're good to go.
              Thank you! There was a stupid voice in my head tempted to run 22 on Saturday. I won't be dumb. I'll stick to the schedule and not screw up the 'rest' part of the taper.

Bugs

Bugs

Hey, Bugs, I'm nowhere near your distance but FWIW, evening runs are always messier for me w/ the stomach issues.
                They are for me too, but been running so easily I thought I'd be fine. Next marathon I will make sure to keep LRs on the weekend. I'm still learning. Smile

Bugs

Bugs, you're in great shape for your marathon! I'm attempting to break 4:00 on 10/12 at the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA. Your pace on your long runs is excellent! I've got 2 20's under my belt and have a 22 miler planned this weekend. I'm running 2 legs of a relay race around Lake Winnipesaukee. My last 20 miler was a very humid day and my pace was SLOW! I'm hoping to be closer to MP on this one. What marathon are you running and when is it? I've had the same stomach issues that you describe and I think MikeMike is right on the money about drinking to thirst. I used to drink WAY too much. Also, I've been usin Shot Bloks instead of GU's and I like them better because they stay down better.
                  mummydust

I agree with MikeyMike too. I struggled with nausea for most of my first 20 marathons. Finally someone suggested I drink to thirst and also take an electrolyte (S!Caps) every hour or so. I guess that the sodium helps the fluid move into the body better. Anyway the S!Caps have been hugely successful for me. If you feel that sloshing sensation I would give them a try. I also suffered from some light headedness in the last miles and this is totally gone. The last three marathons have been downright pleasant, and I set a PR in one of them.

Bugs

bdanehy, It's the Twin Cities Marathon. I ran two years ago, and made an vow at mile 15 to back. Last year I did not run because of achilles pain. This year it's a redemption run. Good Luck on your runs. I am envious you will get to 22. I've heard people on the forums suggestion running more than 3 20's but I'm not sure more really helps you. I think a longer distance would have been better. Where do you buy the S!Caps? Think they would have them at the TCM Expo?

Bugs

jeffdonahue

I have definitely had the nausea and found a few reasons for it. First was the pre-race nutrition. The worst it ever was was at Boston a few years back. I, like you, usually do my runs first thing in the morning. I will sometimes have a bowl of cereal or just a GU before I go but not much more. At Boston, I sat around in a tent till noon, ate a sandwich, a powerbar and WAY too much gatorade. As a result, my stomach was sick for the whole race. Second is during the race. I have figured out that my stomach just cant handle that much gatorade durnig a race. It upsets my stomach when I am using it when I work out - had it during marathons, but worst was during Ironman Florida - I drank gatorade for the whole bike and as soon as I tried to run ti was sloshing in my stomach and I was ill. I have since turned to GU and water every 3 miles during long runs and have been much better for it - though havent done my marathon yet since making this switch so I'll let you know if it actually works during a race (but all my long runs ahve gone well so far) Best of luck. Jeff

Who needs toenails?

Hi Bugs! An email is coming your way but I saw this post and wanted to comment. You may recall I suffered MAJOR stomach problems in my first two marathons. I have to second (or third?) the recommendation to ditch the Gatorade and go with Succeed! Caps and gels. There just isn't enough sodium in most sports drinks to get you through, especially on a hot day. The stomach problems you describe sound a lot like what I experience when my electrolyte balance starts going haywire. I haven't had a problem since starting to use S!Caps. During my last marathon, it was 80+ with equally high humidity. I took 3-4 S!Caps and 4.5 (.5 because I managed to explode one all over myself) Gels. I was fine. No cramps, no bonk. You will be fine. TRUST your training! As an added bonus, since you won't have to worry about Gatorade and can just take water, you won't get to the finish like spotted with various colors of sports drink. Wink I bought my S!Caps at a local running store but you can also buy them online. If you plan to use them, I'm not sure I'd leave it to chance that the expo will have them.