Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

Corey, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I'm trying some new shoes now after running in Hoka Cliftons for a long time, and they have evolved to a point where they are not what I'm looking for anymore. I'm trying Adidas Boston 6s for faster work, New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon for longer runs. I also got some Adidas Tempo 9s for really cheap but somehow they are too small for me in the same size as my Bostons. I'm intrigued by some of the new Nike shoes but the lat Pegasus did not fir my heel at all.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Hey all its about time for some new shoes any recommendations?

I have always ran in Asics Nimbus but couldn't handle the change when they went to the Nimbus 20 so I switched to Brooks Ghost 10

they are ok but not as happy with them as I was with my old Asics.

I have a pair of Nimbus 19 that I like and the Ghost 10 that I like a lot too and Adidas Boston 6 for workouts. I agree with you: on easy and long runs the Asics seems a bit better than the Brooks shoe. As mentioned by Rune my next choice will probably be either the Nike Pegasus or the new Nimbus (I heard they reversed some of the changes they made). Please do let us know as we seem to have similar heal drop preferences!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marco - You should add your next race into your signature, it helps lazy people (me) know what your schedule looks like.

Hi Jmac, I thought I dah it, now it#s there:  Laganside 10k (Belfast, Ormeau Park, 2/Sep/18), Belfast city HM (23/Sep/18) + maybe a park run to test 5 K speed. For now I am assuming my 5K speed is around 3'45''/3'50''.

quick mid week update:

I am back in Italy (in my home town) since yesterday and I 'll be here for a while, so I went to my old running spot, near a track, with a 4.8K long road in the pine wood. The road then goes to the right towards the beach and then keeps running alongside the beach. That road have 100 mt. marks for 6K so you can run for 12K knowing exactly where you are. When I was younger, I use to run tempo and interval there... and this morning I went for the forum favourite: intervals on 1000 mt. here it the session:

2.3 miles warm up (at 25 celsius no need to warm up, but I did it to get to the place) then 6X1000 mt. with rest/jog for 2' recovery. I was fairly consistent with the time: 3'44, 3'43', 3'43', 3'43', 3'45', 3'46'. + 2 miles cool down to go home.

I was tired and rigid on the last one, but overall I am very happy about this session, as I didn't push too much to get those times...

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco good job on those intervals. You should be able to run a sub 19 5k based off that.

Mick I tried Asic Cumulus many years ago when I started running but they were really inflexible and made my toes numb. They were similar to the Nimbus. Lots of other users had the same issues but Im sure they have fixed them now. I like a reasonable heel/toe on my shoes too around 6-10mm. I love both Pegasus and Bostons. I race in Adios though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Piwi: I only know you from the forum but I was saying to myself the other day, that you are probably like me when it comes to prefering&wearing high heels Smile Thanks for the confirmation. There's nothing bad about that Smile

Since I have been having overuse niggles on the calf/soleus that some people have associated with my overpronation I might get myself a pair of Kayanos next and rotate them in 2-3 times a week on the easy days. But I havent decided yet because I was also thinking of getting the commercial insoles instead and remain with neutral shoes. I am still debating with myself which is great because I am broke anyways.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MJ - definitely go for those high heels if you have injuries below the knee. Besides my weird toe injury, all of my niggles and major injuries have been the knee and above, which is why I use 4 MM drop shoes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

It's been raining literally non stop since yesterday 5am. And I worked overnight until 5am.

So 2 days off. I reckon I'm still on pace for 40km this week.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Marco - nice intervals and I agree with Piwi that bodes well for a sub-19 5km.  It would've been fun going back to a favourite running area from when you were younger.  We are moving house soon, so I will have to change all my running routes from home.  It's only 3km down the road but it will mess up most of my favourite loops, first world problems I guess!

MJ - the Kayano is a great shoe.  I used to wear them until I went off Asics when they shrunk the last on the DS Trainer and it didn't fit my foot any more.  Now I mix up Saucony and Mizuno shoes.  The Saucony are lower drop (~4mm) and the Mizuno are higher drop (~8-9mm) but they both seem to work well for me.

Flavio -sounds like a brutal shift!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio Im sending you some concrete powder. Just add water.............

Jmac wants to see Mick in high heels, I suppose you want him to wear a skirt too 

Mark/Jmac that Sportjester guy sure makes for interesting reading in the other thread. Do you think hes legit ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

a_taylor

Hey, remember me? The new kid that posted almost a month ago and then disappeared? Well I'm back!

I've decided to commit to training hard for a Nov 3rd half marathon and using all of you as my accountaibility buddies/experienced gurus (pretty sure I saw someone drop a 1:28 in a training run, so I think y'all are good company to keep)

For now, I'll be carefully building my mileage and mixing in some workouts. Mostly the suggested mix of long run, workout, 2-3 easy runs ( with a focus on slowing those easy runs down). Hopefully sitting at 30mpw for a bit, and a 10k race in mid september that I can use to sort of gauge what I need to do for the last month or so of training.

Not gonna try to respond to the month's worth of workouts that happened, but suffice it to say you're all very impressive runners. But hey, somebody has to post the lowest mpw of the group, so I'm perfectly okay with that being me (for now).

Matt - I'm glad somebody else asked how to post those nifty strava charts!

Marco - I think you asked about the tobacco road marathon? I ran the half there a couple years ago while a group of friends ran the full. I thought it was a nice course: pretty flat, not too crowded etc. We caught a random hot north carolina day, so 4 of my 5 friends bonked and missed their goals, but none of them blamed the course or race for that. So definitely a race worth checking out.

Reading about everyone starting fall training plans has me excited! This week is 1 of 16 for me. I'm mildly obsessive, so I've got run reminders on my phone, a printed schedule taped up in my kitchen, and a running buddy keeping me honest.

Anyway, that's me just dropping back in. Happy running!

Mark: I am a big fan of Japanese products includingshoes and will go for the Mizuno or Asics stability shoe for sure. The Mizunos go on sale more often as they arent as popular around here.

Piwi: Do you know what they say about men in high heels? (....) Strong calves, of course Smile

Jmac&Mark: absolutely useless to discuss with Jestersport/sportjester. Its like accusing Igor of riding his bike. Its pretty entertaining though. Now dont forget the guy runs his own company and all he wants is attention and clicks on Youtube. But he makes some really crazy claims - which make me remember the Guiness (a dark Irish beer) ads back in the days when anyone could make just about any freakin claim. So one was:

1. "Guiness is good for you" and the other was

2. "Guiness makes you strong"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh yeah this Jester guy really is the local court jester of Running Ahead. Hey look, we all need some entertainment somehow. I just reposted his signature to show how dumb it is, puts him in right in line with classic conspiracy theorists.

"Guinness is Good for You" is one of my favorite ads. MJ - I do like you how clarified Guiness is a dark Irish beer like we've never heard of it before 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Hey guys!

Quick question.  What does a good taper week look like for a half marathon?

I've already done 5 miles on Monday, 10 yesterday, and 9 this morning.  My race is on Sunday. 

Advice?

"Guinness is Good for You" is one of my favorite ads. MJ - I do like you how clarified Guiness is a dark Irish beer like we've never heard of it before 

Jmac I was just trying to make sure we are all on the same page since not all around here lead the same unhealthy lifestyle like us drunkards Smile

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Taylor - Welcome back.

Bro - My last taper week is typically about 1/2 of my peak mileage, including a light workout early-ish in the week and maybe some strides a few days out. I'd probably close out the week with a couple 5 milers, a few strides on Friday, then maybe 2-3 really easy on Saturday morning with 1-2 strides afterwards.

High heels - I figured the only way we'd ever see one of us in those was for a failure of the Lady Gaga Challenge®, but there are so many recommendations for them I figure it's only a matter of time before a pic comes out before that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4