Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - I will often do long-ish warm up and warm downs before workouts, anything from ~2-4 miles.  Not sure if it makes any difference.

Flavio - happy birthday!!

Piwi - hope you're feeling better soon, sounds pretty rough.

Me - house moving is done, now just a lot to unpack!  Slightly lighter week this week and I will now start to taper for the half next Saturday.

M: weights

T: 14km w/ intervals

W: 16.1km easy

Th: 11.6km easy-moderate

F: moving house

S: 12.3km moderate

S: 14km track workout

Total: 68km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark - nice week.  I don't know how much stuff you moved yourself, but when I moved in January we moved all the small stuff ourselves.  It was a couple of days and I was really tired afterwards.

My week was pretty good.  Intervals were accidentally a little slow, but nothing to worry about.  Tempo was ok, was meant to be 8km of tempo, but shortened that to 7km due to it being really warm for winter (really affected me) and it being really windy.  The last 4km was into the wind and it was hard.  I averaged 4:12/km (best recently is 4:07/km for 8km) , which given conditions was good enough.

MLR today was a bit of a slog feast.  The weather threatened to drench me (and did for a short 5 minute period), so I went up and down the river to give me the option to bail.  I managed to get in the 19km I was aiming for.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 6.2 8:03 Evening Run strava
      Tue 7.4 7:23 Evening Run - Incl. 22 * (1:00 hard & 1:00 easy) intervals strava
      Thu 8.9 7:21 Lunch Run - tempo 4.0km-11.0km strava
      Fri 7.6 7:41 Afternoon Run strava
      Sat 7.5 7:48 Afternoon Run strava
      Sun 11.8 8:38 Morning Run - MLR strava
        49.4 7:52  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice week and well done for battling it out in the rain.  We moved a lot of the small stuff ourselves on Thursday, then had movers do the big stuff on Friday (plus the rest of the small stuff), then unpacked Fri/Sat.  I was definitely feeling pretty tired by Saturday afternoon.  It has not helped that the cat is unimpressed by the move and is protesting between the hours of 1-4am.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

The annoying thing was that the afternoon was really good weather.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

Mark: congrats on the week despite the moving. Hope that went ok. How does your toddler like it? Ps: I didnt think you were a cat kind of guy Smile

Piwi: get well! That doesnt sound like a great bug.

Cfarr did a crazy workout yesterday. Rune Jmac Watson Keen and all others I forgot - very inspiring work guys!

My week was a slight increase to a total of 65.8km but since I use a Suunto Ambit its fair to assume it was at least 66k Smile 18k long run at slower pace than what it should have been but oh well maybe next week Smile I have also started to train with light weights twice per week on the core and upper body so dont be surprised if I look completely ripped in a couple of weeks Smile This week I listened to the Ironwar which tells the story of Mark Allen vs Dave Scott at the 1989 IM and Mark won it also because he trained in NZ for 6 weeks in preparation so he could outrun Dave on the last climb - epic finish 58 seconds ahead.... You guys must add some substances to the tab water? That would explain a lot Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac nice week, hope you enjoyed your Vacation. I am on Vacation next week can't wait it will be a down week for me to recover and rest up.

Mark good luck in your HM can't wait to see the results

Piwi that sucks you are feeling bad, hope you get over it soon

Flavio Happy Birthday!

Watson nice week

another consistent week for me almost hitting 53 miles

I got a good workout in on Saturday and a long run in this morning

Looks like I am going to stay with the Brooks Ghost as I need new shoes before I take on another long run and can't seem to decide on anything different.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Jul 23, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 29, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Mon 10.0 9:03 Evening Run strava
              Wed 6.5 9:10 Evening Run strava
              Sat 19.6 8:14 3MP+2E+2MP+1E+2T+3E+3MP+2E+1T+.5E strava
              Sun 16.6 9:05 Morning Run strava
                52.7 8:47    

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

watsonc123

Cfarr - nice week.  Is there a reason your weeks are so weekend heavy, and weekday light?

watson between work and family it is hard to squeeze them in during the week. Unless I get up at 4am and out of the house at 5 I can barley get in 4 miles before work and I'm often late to work when I have, so that was not working out... after work for example I had planned to get in a 4-6 miler on Thursday and again on Friday but the wife had other plans both days...so I went with her plans and didn't get the run in.

Saturday and Sunday I don't have to be at work and if I do It is on my schedule... so I can get out and spend 3 or so hours before the wife gets up or before I need to go spend a few hours at work.

I plan on being consistent with 5 runs per week as I get into my prep for my Dec. marathon ...but trying not to disturb the peace to soon .

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Corey thats a solid weekends work for sure. Great job getting it done.

Mark how is the extended forecast for Taupo ? My mate is running as well.

Watson nice week and good tempo into the wind. Thanks for the headsup on the lung infection info,

Mick your 18km run was noted by me ! I thought yes hes back.

Just watched a short clip of those two guys, A nice rivalry. I think alot of us have little competitions with other local runners which keeps up motivated.

Me still sick. Coughing up some muck now. Absolutely no head cold at all. Just in my chest. Not going to bother with the Doctor yet as I will try and kick it without antibiotics if possible. This is the 3rd week I think as the first week I was just weak and lethargic and didnt know what was wrong, then the 2nd week I had the fever all week, and now the cough but fever is gone.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hope you get better soon piwi, it's not very pleasant especially when you want to be out running.  I've gotten over my cold now, and I managed to run through it but I couldn't do any hard or long workouts.

My week:

Monday         60 mins easy 13.09km @ 4:50

Tuesday        Weights

Wednesday   70 mins easy 14.58km @ 4:54

Thursday       60 mins recovery  12.02km @ 5:10 (recovery pace although no tough run to recover from)

Friday            Weights

Saturday        80 mins easy 16.82km @ 4:46

Sunday          Weights

My cold was at its worst last weekend when I did 60 mins @ 4:59 which really required digging deep.  I felt a bit better on Monday but Wednesday was another step back, that was a pretty miserable run all round.  I felt like I'd come right on Saturday and did my Monday run @ 6am this morning which was 70 mins @ 4:43 and felt great.

Now I have the dilemma of whether to do the race next Sunday.  It would be as a practice only.  I could possibly target about 1:35 but a PB attempt would definitely lead to trouble after the last month.  I plan on some tempo intervals on Wednesday and if I decide to do the race that will be it until a short one on Saturday.  I can't decide so may just look at the weather which doesn't look great this far out.  Another consideration is the Super Rugby Final on Saturday which I'd like to either go to or watch at the pub with a few beers...I would be at home and in bed by full time if I do the race.  It's a late start of 10am I assume to allow people to get down from Christchurch - it's about a 1.5 hour drive.  If it was in Christchurch I'd definitely do it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi- weather forecasts for Taupo are pretty inconsistent at the moment, anything from showers to mostly cloudy and quite a range on the possible temps as well.  It's still 5 days out so the forecast probably won't firm up for another couple of days.  On the bright side, I don't think it could possibly be worse than last time.

CF - nice week and yeah I get why you'd have to maximise use of the weekends, can be tough juggling work and family during the week.

MJ - toddler has been all good with the move and loves having more space to run around in.  I don't mind cats because basically they look after themselves as long as they've got something to eat and a litter tray.  I'd quite like to get a dog but it's just too hard with everything else on at the moment.  If I got a German shorthaired pointer I could take it running with me haha.

Steve - yeah I reckon just play it by ear and see how you feel.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Hi everybody, I am back from Sardinia! As required from the Italian tradition, I have done more training at the table (both eating and drinking) than on the road... however I managed a fair 31 miles (~20% lower than my last 2 weeks) + I spent a few hours every day in the water at the beach with 7 years old twins, with lots of energy. So I should be ok restarting this week. Tomorrow interval, I am undecided on whether I'll do 6X1000 or 8X800. I will decide tomorrow evaluating how I feel during warm up.

I have read all the posts missed last week, lots of good training, congrats to all. Sorry for those who were not 100% this week, but it looks like you are on the way to recovery. have a great week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - I'm doing one of those plans, yes.

Mick - Current BQ time is 3:05, but registration for next year will be closed by the time my goal race rolls around and I age up for 2020, so I'll move to the 3:10 standard. I think hitting the faster standard will be doable, assuming things go well between now and then. With that extra 5 minutes I'm fairly confident I'll be able to not only hit the necessary time but also get enough under to actually be able to run the race. Knocking that much time off my PR is more than a bit intimidating.

Flavio - Happy belated birthday!

Watson - Good week.

Cfarr - Great week, especially on just 4 days.

Piwi - Bummer about the illness. Hopefully you kick that quickly.

Steve - Glad you're over the cold. Nice job last week. With the illness, forecasted weather, and rugby final coming up it looks to me like you're leaning away from the race.

Marco - Glad you had a good time in Italy. Seems like you had a pretty decent week running with a good amount of cross training!

Another one in the books! This past Saturday was the first official long run of the local running club. It only meets actively to train for the two big marathon/half marathons in Oklahoma - OKC Memorial in the spring and Route 66 in the fall. I ended up starting the LR with a group of 6-8, all but one of which I hadn't really talked to before but have seen a lot at local races, group runs, and of course on Strava.

The group fragmented within the first 1.5 miles or so, leaving me running with the one person in the group I hadn't at least seen around before. It wasn't until a couple of sub-7:30 miles (<4:39/km) that our conversation revealed that she was a former 5000m/10000m/XC runner in college, so I felt a bit outclassed. We finished 10 miles, which was all she wanted to do, and after a bit of conversation with everyone who we had dropped (and some catching my breath) I went out for a very easy additional 2 miles. I originally planned on 15-16 miles (12 was actually on the plan), but figured "quality over quantity" would be ok here. So that's 2x LRs in a row faster than what I originally planned... I'm kinda bleh about that.

A thunderstorm relegated me to the treadmill for an easy run this morning since I had no intention of running repetitions in little ovals surrounded by lightning and tall, metal light poles and I also had no desire to replicate that same workout on the treadmill.
                            I do think I'll try the higher-mileage thing on workout days - we'll see how that goes. Thanks to everyone here to gave some input regarding that.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                            Mon 13.2 7:45 10x 200m R + 6x 400m R, = distance recovery 145 (74%) strava
                            Tue 11.1 8:09 A raptor kind of morning. 2 owls, 6 hawks, but no F-22's 137 (70%) strava
                            Wed 10.6 8:09 1 owl and several new roads 138 (70%) strava
                            Thu 10.6 7:36 Daniels 2T + 2T + 1T. This was a rough one. 159 (81%) strava
                            Thu 2.0 8:43 Super-easy tready to get the tempo run out of my legs 137 (70%) strava
                            Fri 10.3 8:32 1 bobcat (that was a surprise for both of us) + 2 hawks 137 (70%) strava
                            Sat 12.3 7:41 Landrunners wk 1. Only slightly speedy. Pick it up next time, Alex! 😛 153 (78%) strava
                              70.1 7:59

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nice weeks everyone. I'm too far behind to catch up individually, but I read through everything. Wanted to wish Mark the best of luck this weekend, especially with a good weather forecast!

Me - My week wasn't great on vacation. Heat and humidity did it's usual toll, but it was even worse because I was running more during the mid day and the hills absolutely chewed me up for some reason. Had probably the worst run in the past few years on Friday. I knew I was in trouble when I was at mile 3 and was so thirsty yet wasn't going to have access to water until the end of my run. I almost never feel thirsty in runs shorter than 90 minutes, but probably started the run too dehydrated. I seriously thought I was on the edge of heat stroke given how bad I felt. I can legitimately say I felt worse during that easy run than I did during either of my two marathons. It was such a good lesson about how important hydration is because usually I'm so good at it that I've never experienced what it's like to be TRULY dehydrated, not the usual dehydration you feel in the summer after running.

Had to bail on running over the weekend as I was mentally broken from how bad the Friday run was and knew it was only going to get worse. Back to training this week for real.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Mon 6.0 7:45 Afternoon Run strava
                              Tue 10.0 7:46 Afternoon Run strava
                              Wed 12.2 7:20 2E + 8m + 2E strava
                              Fri 10.0 8:30 Another awful run in the humidity strava
                                38.2 7:49

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - dehydration sucks. I'm well acquainted, having gone near the red a couple of times. The first time I begged some road side vendor to give me a few blocks of ice to chew because I didn't have money.

The second time I actually stopped and bought a Gatorade.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly