Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

jmac - Because of you I learned that Jack means John, so thanks for that Smile I often wonder why English speaking folk bother with full names, who's gonna call someone Theodore.

What a monster workout and awesome week. You seem to be getting on the better side of the fitness mountain.

Like I mentioned before I see you talking about weather and I forget how beastly fast you are.

Steve - über fast long run with tempo. Was the pain closer to the knee or down below closer to the ankle bone?

Corey - I don’t see you on the front page, remind me again when is your next race?

Piwi - come back to Strava, we need you to pester Jmac about kiwi points.

Keen - your 5K PR seems a bit soft, it looks good for a take down. I remember you still had a little in the tank at the end of that 10k.

I understand some people are shufflers and do better on the longer distances, but you certainly have strength, maybe you could benefit from some raw power training to gain a bit more speed.

What’s your 400 or 800 all out?

Mick - how did that avocado chocolate go? If you liked it I can give you a recipe for a banana pancake, hell yeah let’s turn this into the morning hour tv show haha.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - it was closer to the knee, on the left side of the right calf - right in the fleshy bit.  Usually when I get a niggle or full blown calf injury it's much further down and right around the back, close to the achilles.  It clearly was only a spasm or cramp given that I ran 14km on it last night.  On the drive home on Monday night I was planning in my head how I'd be ready for a race in March...so I was pleasantly shocked that I felt I could run yesterday and got all the way through it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Don’t have time to respond to everyone completely, but wanted to comment on a few things.

Flavio - Thanks. I really hope this cycle leads to a PR, but it’s always so hard to tell during training in the summer because you just feel terrible all the time from the mileage and the heat. It’s only in the upper 60’s here in Denmark and although it feels great, I’m still not feeliing in top condition. I know the taper solves everything, just need to keep reminding myself.

Steve - during my marathon taper last year, I felt a crazy pain in my foot. This was 4 days before my race. I went to a podiatrist and was told I have a stress fracture! It didn’t make sense to me (how can you get a stress fracture during a taper, the “hopping test” failed for me, and I’ve had a stress fracture before and this didn’t feel like it), so I went to another doctor. This was all 2 days before my race. Second doctor said it was just tendinitis and gave me some cortisone. I ended up fine and ran the race well. Taper madness is real, it’s all mental, both with how you’re going crazy about losing fitness and also that every niggle can seem like a devastating injury. I’m just mad one doctor almost confirmed that it was real.

MJ - No Zurich for me, just Denmark and Bulgaria. It’s quite nice running in cooler conditions, but I find it really hard to run on vacation. It’s nice to get a few miles in to tour the city, but trying to maintain even 40 MPW on vacation is rough. My original goal was 48 miles, but I’ll be happy just to hit 30.

Rune - I know you’re running, so start posting again!

Central Park / Bro - Good job not getting yelled at! Most people are nice, but there are a lot of folks that do not adhere to anything resembling common courtesy, like looking before you cross the road, or running on the left side when they should be running on the right. There are also a crazy amount of running groups that are active around 5-8 PM that just take up the entire running path. Hopefully you’re avoiding that. Also, I see that it’s outrageously hot in NYC right now, around 95 with dew points near 75. You need to mention that because I know that Piwi is going through serious withdrawal that nobody is talking about the Dew Points with me not running in it. That’s brutal running conditions so I hope you’re handling it well.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac: I saw Kopenhagen or Kobenhaven as they say on Strava. Really nice city. Lovely people. A bit expensive. That's were I bought my car as they have crazy VAT on them and when you take it off, the actual car price is actually really cheap Smile Have been to Sofia but didnt like it as much. Dry heat. But it is cooling off in Europe so you might be fine. Do you have family in Bul?

Flavio: omg bananas and pancakes are my two most favorite pre run breakfast ingredients!!! Post that recipe and I swear I will take a pic and put it up on Strava Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - ser if you can catch the food tour in Sofia. It's free (or tip based) and they take you to 5 places to eat bit sized meals. All summed up it's a meal and you get to sample the local cuisine.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Hi,

of course we are at 3 days from race day and I start doubting everything I know about running. I justify myself because it is the first time I run a 10 K in a race (do you still need to put a foot in front of the other in a 10 K or is it different from a HM?).

But seriously, I am fairly decided on attempting a 40 minutes race (although I am not sure I have it in me yet...), so, any suggestions on how to pace a 40' 10Km race (without a heart rate monitor, as it's broken and I have not been using it in a while) is welcome...

I know I said my real objective is to run a 90' HM but now that the race is so close, I would like to get a nice time there as well Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco nice target good luck. I keep it simple and if its relatively flat and windless run even 4 min/km from start to finish.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Hi,

of course we are at 3 days from race day and I start doubting everything I know about running. I justify myself because it is the first time I run a 10 K in a race (do you still need to put a foot in front of the other in a 10 K or is it different from a HM?).

But seriously, I am fairly decided on attempting a 40 minutes race (although I am not sure I have it in me yet...), so, any suggestions on how to pace a 40' 10Km race (without a heart rate monitor, as it's broken and I have not been using it in a while) is welcome...

I know I said my real objective is to run a 90' HM but now that the race is so close, I would like to get a nice time there as well Smile

Hard tempo is how I would describe a 10k race.   The last mile should be as hard as you can push.

Jmac - not in NYC yet.  Should be there this afternoon! Weather looks decent for running the rest of the week.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - That's pretty much exactly how I would have imagined Central Park to be on that day.

Flavio - I've been doing plenty of 400/800m work during this cycle and my HM one from spring, so I think my running power has improved over what it would have been otherwise. I've never run either of those distances all-out - I haven't even tried running a single mile TT (track or road) in over 2 years now. Perhaps it's time...
                    I defintely agree that my 5k time is soft since when I set that PR I pulled back some during the last 2k due to some lower GI issues.

JMac - Enjoy the trip!

Marco - Best of luck this weekend! I've only done the one 10k, so I have no real advice on how to run it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Marco- good luck!!  10km is a fun distance to run, a lot less painful than 5km and a lot shorter than half marathon!  I agree with Piwi, start out at target pace (4 min/km) and try and hold it.  If you are feeling good around the 8km mark then try and push hard for the last couple of km's.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Jmac - That's crazy, especially in the week of a race.  I guess it's easy to be paranoid when one wrong step can see months of training go to waste...although I guess it depends on being a journey or destination kind of person.

Keen -  It was fun times, although I tried to avoid the topic on that trip...and based on my post disappearing I should do the same here.

Good luck to the 10km racers this weekend.

I did another 70 minute easy run last night and while I got through it, I had pain in both calves and couldn't have gone faster than easy pace without an injury, or so I felt.  I was sore everywhere afterwards.  This sort of thing has happened before about a month after a race when I've tried to jump back into it and generally ends in injury.  The running this week hasn't been fun, at a time when I need to be going hard if I want a crack at a PB in 3 weeks.  I'm starting to think I'm better off avoiding injury and freshening up for a week or 2, and look at a different race.  Unfortunately the next one is the Canterbury Marathon which isn't until early December which has potential for my battle with heat to resume, a battle I rarely win.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve sounds sensible. If you make the injury worse and you cant run at all...... Maybe a light week will cure it.

Mark good luck at the 10k nationals. Should be some good competition to pull you along.

Marco yeah when I say even splits the effort will obviously feel harder as the race goes on and you should be in the pain cave for alot of the 2nd half    .

Was good to be back trolling on Strava yesterday 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - you have had some rough luck, again. You and Flavio should probably not bother wasting money on lotto tickets.

Piwi - thanks!  Judging from the regional results, the only way Wellington won't win the M35-50 division is if their flight can't land due to fog or the Desert Road is shut!  They have like 4 or 5 guys running 31-32 minutes and the top 4 placings for each team count for the results.  We should be a reasonable shot at second, though, as we have better depth than most of the other teams with 6 guys around the 33-34 mark, and some of the South Island associations aren't sending full teams up anyway.  Weather forecast doesn't look great, with potential for wind and rain, but I'm not that worried about rain personally and with 5 laps of a loop course, the wind is a lot less of a factor than it would be on a point-to-point course.

My strategy is going to be to aim around 3:25/km from the start, and then kick it up if I can on the last lap.  This should line me up pretty closely with my team-mate Simon Mace who ran around 20 seconds faster than me in the regional race.  He is a smart racer and I have him to thank for two of my previous half marathon PBs.  The course should also be quicker than the Auckland course with its dumb S bend and dumb U-turn even though there is a little hill in there.

Anyway the other reason I need to PB is that all my current PBs were set in the same pair of racing flats which I've now had to retire  Superstitious much haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I wouldn't have noticed that your post disappeared without you pointing it out. SMH.
                              Bummer about the calves. It sounds like looking for a different race may be the best way forward.

Piwi - Congrats on your triumphant return to Strava.

Mark - Best of luck with the race this weekend!

Marco - Good luck to you as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Good luck to all the racers. May the runners god be with you !!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!