Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark, nice RR.  Is there any communication in a race like that or is it all non-verbal as to who pushes the pace?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mark nice race, congrats on the PB! nice race report. One of these days I will do a 10k race I want to break 20 in a 5k first I'll probably take a shot at that in Jan.

Marco great job in your race as well, sorry you came up just short o breaking 40.

Flavio nice week given the busy schedule. congrats on the new Job!

Keen Congrats on the 5k PR

I had a good mileage week but had a little bit of life that to priority over running so I felt a bit off all week.

Planning on a big week this week lots of easy miles...

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Aug 27, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 02, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 4.4 9:01 Evening Run strava
        Wed 4.4 8:31 Evening Run strava
        Thu 9.5 8:01 1E+1T+1E+1M+1E+1T+1E+2M+.5E strava
        Sat 12.0 8:43 Morning Run strava
        Sun 16.6 8:38 Morning Run strava
          46.9 8:33    

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

matthewfschwartz

It's been awhile, moving in to college and getting settled in has made for a very busy time the last couple weeks. I've been building up mileage, and finally got a quality week in with regards to both mileage and workouts. I also ended up registering for a local 5k on September 22. I'm nowhere near peak 5k shape, but I thought it'd be fun.

Mark- Very well done in your race, and congrats on the PR!

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 6.0 7:00 Windy City strava
          Tue 2.0 7:37 Warmup strava
          Tue 3.2 6:32 3 x Mile repeats strava
          Tue 1.9 7:42 Cooldown strava
          Wed 6.1 6:57 Morning Run strava
          Thu 4.9 7:14 Morning Run strava
          Fri 6.1 7:17 Linear Trail 🙏 strava
          Sat 6.0 7:04 It’s GAMEDAY strava
          Sun 8.0 7:11 Long Run w/ 2 mile surge strava
            44.2 7:09    

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Marky_Mark_17

Corey, Matt - nice weeks.

Steve - nah, it was pretty non-verbal.  In half marathons, I've had races where I've talked strategy/pacing with other guys around me, but in that case you're generally both battling the clock and figuring out how you can work together.  In a teams event, I figured we had to work together without telling the other guy what we were up to, and given Adam is much more experienced than me, I figured that if I signalled well (e.g. taking first turn up front), he'd respond.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark nice report. Im getting plenty of photos on my facebook from Tauranga Ramblers but havent seen any of you. It looked very wet. A placement medal like that is forever so great to get. I notice the 40+ age group was faster than 35+ 

Marco thats a really good time considering you went out fast and faded. You can definitely run sub 40 with some more miles. My last 10k was 40.16 too  Paula could knock out a 30 min 10k back in the day.

Flavio congrats if you get the new job. They must have plenty of money to fly you to USA for an interview !

Mick good luck in your new job with Heineken 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mark, nice race report and nice pics. I need to work on my final 3K (as I need to work on my final 3 miles in the HM).

Piwi, same time, spooky ... but I need to find another 10 K and run a sub 40 now!

Nice week everybody, good miles and speedwork going on Smile

Now it's time for me to focus back again on the HM training. I have 3 weeks to go, so probably this week and then 2 taper weeks. However, today I feel pretty tired (I ran 4.5 miles this morning and I was really slow).

I hope to recover by mid week and put ni some good interval training and some good threshold over the long run in the weekend. Is there anything I should do differently from now to the HM (considering the 10k? should I take this week easy? then I wuold have not much tim to train... for now I think I will do 40/45 miles with some interval this week. might do slightly less (shorter long run) next week but with some faster workout, and the final taper week.

have a good week everybody!

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco your 10k time probably equates to a 1.29 half so its looking good. With 3 weeks to go I would just focus on 2 more weeks good mileage with 2 long runs of around 15 miles.

Rolled my left ankle today on a trail run. Was pretty sore straight after but then loosened up and I was able to continue. I think I need to stay away from rutty ground 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Piwi: so funny I rolled my ancle today too!!! We do the same shit even though we are thousands of miles apart Re job: I wish it was Heineken.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Just got back from NYC.  Was able to get about 34 miles in last week despite being on vacation.   Ran with my wife through Central Park almost everyday.  She runs a 5K in about 26 to 27 minutes and she is doing her easy miles too fast (gee, I wonder where she gets that from?) so we calculated her VDOT easy pace to be 10:30 to 11:00 pace.   She was skeptical of running that slow.

It made a world of difference to her. 

She can actually have a conversation with me now while we run and not feel like I'm dragging her the whole way.  She was previously running anywhere from 9:45 to 10:00 pace with me and it was a struggle for her.  We actually got a 5 miler in because we dropped the pace enough as she was used to running 3 miles and feeling terrible.  She's now begging to run with me more often.   Win-Win for our relationship...extra miles plus happy wife!

So a couple thoughts on my 2nd trip to NYC...first since Oct. 2001)

1.  I love the city so much.  Central Park is easily in my top 5 places to run now (Dillion Beach, CA and Marquette, MI still take the top spots).  It has this nice rolling terrain on the traditional 6 mile route and it's so fun to blast down the hills.  I was not annoyed with any other runners or tourists.

2.  Upper West / Upper East sides...perfect, safe, clean.  So many good restaurants and none of them were all that busy.   Disliked the East Village and parts of mid-Brooklyn and Times Square (at night).  Statue of Liberty is so beautiful in person.  Really enjoyed the Financial District!

3.  Coney Island is surreal.  Awesome experience walking down the boardwalk in the morning.  The Parachute Drop is such a unique structure...I spent a good amount of time checking it out.   The renovations they did to Steeplechase Pier are an absolute travesty and no way reflect the original beauty of the what they looked like prior to Hurricane Sandy smashing it.   The ramp at the end of the pier is pointless.  What a $15 million dollar mistake. 

Regardless...can't wait to go back!  Staying in Central Park was an excellent choice and we are already looking at flights for our next visit.  JMAC, you are privileged to live there.   I love living near Detroit, but NYC is fantastic.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well I'm back. Nothing to report on my end as my week was utter, complete trash at 20 miles. Sometimes running on vacation is nice, but when you have to do runs on the treadmill that look like they were leftover from the days of the cold war, it's impossible. Got my first 10 miler in yesterday and my legs are definitely feeling the fact that I basically didn't run last week. Trying to hit 70 this week to get back into shape.

Mark - Great race, and glad you're keeping up with the race report tradition after a PR! It's funny you said that about medals. The only medals I still have are my marathon medals, I don't keep my 10K or Half medals. I would definitely keep a medal from an event like what you just ran though. I can't believe you have another half in just 5 days, no rest for the weary.

Flavio - Forgot to mention: Jack is the common nickname for John in Ireland. Almost all people that go by Jack are actually named John, but that's changing somewhat in modern times as parents are just naming their children Jack. Also, what's the deal with the new job? Are you still going to be located in Brazil or will you be coming to the US?

Keen - Nice PR! We need the RR per forum rules.

MJ - woah woah woah I don't bash people for that! More just we are becoming a bit of a sausage fest in this forum and could use some female racers. Speaking of Heinken, on my flight to Copenhagen I took Norwegian and the only beer they had was Heineken. I decided after maybe 5 years that I should give it another try. I quickly remembered why I took that break: it is an awful beer, and I'm saying this as someone who drinks a lot of bad beer (Budweiser, Coors Light, Miller Light, etc.) It tastes like a skunk took a piss in a beer and then sprayed it for a final touch of awfulness.

Bro (edited after seeing you just posted) - That's great to hear! Central Park really is a treat, as with anything that you deal with on a daily basis you sometimes can take it for advantage. But after running in Copenhagen where their "ideal" running spot involved me stopping for traffic every 5 minutes, I realized it was a treat to live in NYC. As you mentioned, just very nice rolling hills, and the people watching can be nice. Disliking Times Square makes you a real New Yorker. Nobody I know that lives here steps foot anywhere within 5 blocks of Times Square. It's a complete hell hole that's clogged with roving groups of tourists and horrible restaurants that are complete tourist traps. I've lived in here for 13 years and I've walked around proper Times Square fewer than 5 times. East Village is basically just a college hangout spot at this point, it's great for some amazing restaurants, but not for hanging out around. Finally, I've lived in the Upper East Side for 7 years at this point. It's perfect for us: I'm right near the park, but also in a much more quiet part of Manhattan than anywhere south of midtown. Plus, as you mentioned, a lot of very good restaurants.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mick - Thanks, and you are correct all the way around. Congrats on the new job as well.

Mark - Well done on your new PR, as well as the team placement! I'll have to circle around to read your RR.

Flavio - Congrats on the new job! Does this mean a relocation, or are you 100% remote?
                          After further review I do doubt the HR from my watch (at least the last mile), but I just didn't execute well on the race. With my week already being off due to illness, I might be able to toss in an all-out 400m at some point.

Marco - Great job on the race (especially after being sick), even if you were a bit off on the time you wanted. Really strong placement overall!

Steve - Good week, and bravo on not pushing it when you started feeling things weren't the way they should be.

Cfarr - Thanks, and good week.

Matt - Nice week, and congrats on getting moved in to college.

Bleh. I hate the start of school! Somehow one (or more) of my kiddos always ends up catching something and giving it to me. What I thought were allergies Saturday morning ended up more like a head cold. After doing a whole lot of nothing over the weekend and skipping my run yesterday I thought I'd try a workout today, but once I finished my first interval just felt way too drained and decided to bail. A bit of a bummer that I'm missing my first workout this year, but I was able to get in 5 miles, a shower, and an extra hour of sleep without DW even knowing I had left.

Pretty good week last week. I tried front-loading some miles so my legs would be a bit better rested but that didn't go quite as smoothly as I wanted when I woke up late one morning and ended up with an awkward double. I subbed out my first Interval workout of the cycle for a 5k Saturday (RR incoming). I ended up with a new monthly mileage PR (344.1), plus a new 7-day mileage PR (93.6) thanks to having moved my LR from the week before last from Saturday to Sunday.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                          Mon 10.1 8:20 1 owl and some lightning way off to the north 132 (67%) strava
                          Tue 16.6 7:56 Daniels 5x 1T + 8x 200M R. 1st VDOT bump! 144 (73%) strava
                          Wed 15.1 8:23 1 lightning bug to the east, 1 lightning storm to the west 138 (70%) strava
                          Wed 3.6 8:29 If I run more today, I can run less tomorrow! 123 (63%) strava
                          Thu 7.4 8:12 2 hawks, chasing a coyote down the road, and startling an oblivious student 142 (72%) strava
                          Thu 3.7 8:19 Finding missing miles in London 127 (65%) strava
                          Fri 8.1 8:33 Stravart ideas: Drawing your home state upside down 135 (69%) strava
                          Sat 1.5 8:32 Warm-up + strides 132 (67%) strava
                          Sat 3.1 6:01 Brookhaven Run 5k. 18:54 chip + new PR 171 (87%) strava
                          Sat 6.2 8:08 Adding miles and hitting new segments 148 (76%) strava
                            75.4 8:11      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The Brookhaven Run is billed as one of the flattest and fastest 5k courses in Oklahoma, which measures up given the (DWave approved) barely perceptible elevation changes and that both the men's and women's state records were set here.

The course itself is a lollipop in which the sole loop doesn't join back up with the shared portion of the "stick" until about mile 2.25 (~.7 mi outbound). This gives plenty of time for the back of the pack to clear the area before the leaders come through the area again, avoiding the course congestion that is the bane of most other 5ks would-be-fast courses in the OKC area. The course is also almost entirely in an old neighborhood, which in this part of the metro means the addition of large trees to block both sun and wind.

The temperature at the start was ~75* with about a 10 mph south wind (with the start, against the finish), so not really any different than the conditions of the last 5k I ran or from what I've been training in recently. I was a bit surprised to see a few XC/track teams at the start, given that their seasons had already begun. Without a strict time goal in mind (other than sub-19) I lined up behind these kids.

The race started predictably fast, but I tried to not get caught up in this. We were almost immediately running under a broad canopy of trees, so GPS pace was quite erratic (am I running 5 min/mi, or 6:30 /mi?). I quickly decided against referencing my watch too much, opting to try holding an effort that felt sustainable.

By the end of the first kilometer in 3:47 (kilometers, not miles were marked, and included clocks) I was already passing some of the XC runners who started ahead of me. Aided by a rough course map drawn on my left hand I was able to run pretty good tangents on the gently-winding road.

Kilometer 2 (3:50) passes without much movement in the loose pack I'm in, aside from passing then being passed by a guy I recognize from Strava, but whose name I don't recall. I'm not at all used to racing with so many people around, and the company is definitely appreciated.

Kilometer 3 (3:51) is on the road outside of the neighborhood, so we no longer have the protection of the trees. The second half of it is also directly into the wind, though it doesn't seem to make too much impact. Effort through here is harder than what I'm used to running but sustainable.

We move back in to the neighborhood and are soon covered by trees again. I start passing more people here, in no small part due to following the tangents rather than keeping to the curb on the left-hand side of the road. Most people seem to have an aversion to running down the middle of a road or by the right-hand curb, closed course or not. I hit the kilometer 4 mark (3:54) and get a little mad at myself since I don't feel at all that I have a reason to have slowed down at all.

I pick up the effort at this point to a level that I only hope is sustainable for the duration of the race. I pass Recognized-From-Strava Guy one last time as well as catch and pass the jerk who told me to "do my own work" (instead of drafting off him before passing) during a windy 25k a year or two ago. Past this everything is a blur.

I hit the final straightaway and see the finish line clock and know that sub-19 is going to happen. I cross the finish line right with someone else (no idea who) and we both nearly run headlong into a group of people standing too close to the line so they could take pictures. Final kilometer in 3:33, chip time 18:54.

My chip didn't register a time when I went to check in on the computer afterwards, so I had to talk to the guy who runs the timing company. When I got to the trailer they use for their equipment there were already a couple others with the same problem, and more showed up after I did. Fortunately my time was picked up by their "backup system". This seems to happen in about half of the races done by this company, so I'm about ready to swear off their races altogether.

Takeaways:
                            I'm certainly in 5k PR shape, though I'm far out of 5k practice. After this marathon cycle I should devote some time to racing 5ks/10ks.
                            Judging by my closing kilometer being at my (way soft) mile PR pace I definitely could have pushed a good deal harder through the entire race.
                            It's SO much easier to hold a given effort and to push the effort with someone nearby than it is solo.
                            Always wear a chest strap when racing! Looking back at the HR data for this it definitely seems that the optical sensor in my watch locked on to my cadence for probably at least the last mile, so that data is worthless.

I sustained a higher wattage (per Stryd) for this than any other 5k I've ran (I didn't look much at this during the race). This gives me a new "do not go below" number for 5ks going forward.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice RR and big congrats on the PR!  Nicely paced race too with that fast finish, and I agree, if you've got that fast a finish you probably could've picked up the pace earlier (especially given you already had a lot of miles in the legs that week!).

It's funny you mention your optical HRM being off too, mine did exactly the same in my race.  I think my average HR was about 160bpm and it should've been about 15bpm higher than that, but I figured something about the cold and the wet upset it.  It's normally pretty reliable apart from the odd occasion where it takes 2-3 minutes at the start of a run to sort itself out.  It wasn't cadence lock either.

Bro - haha yeah I was not a fan of Times Square either... we ended up there at 11pm one night and it was absolute chaos even in the middle of winter.

MJ, Piwi- stop injuring each other pls

Marco - I agree with Piwi, try and get a decent amount of volume in over the next 2 weeks, but maybe start this week easier if you are still tired from the race.  Then the week of the race, reduce your mileage and get a decent taper.

JMac - hope the holiday was good.  I remember when we went to Fiji a couple of years ago... we were staying on Denarau Island and the only options were a ~5km lap of the island that involved cutting around the back of the golf course, or braving the footpath-free main road (not a good idea if you value your limbs).  Agree it would be good to get more female forum members but we've always had that problem dating way back to RWOL.  I can't remember us having a regular female poster since Rebecka got injured?  Anyway, EVERYONE INVITE YOUR FEMALE RUNNER FRIENDS!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - Great race report. I can't believe someone yelled at you to do your own work in another race. He knows he could have just slowed down and gone behind you at any point right? Also, the tangent thing FASCINATES me. I find myself often running by myself on the tangents. Take an S shaped course, where you're running up the S. There are people who will just stay in the right lane the entire time, because either a) they feel awkward running on the "wrong" side of the road or b) they think they're wasting energy by going back and forth, not realizing that going back and forth is actually less distance. This was most pronounced in my latest 10K. These people all run sub 40 in a 10K and haven't figured out how to run tangents in a race? Come on now.

Mark - I wasn't even around at that point for female runners. Glad you hated Times Square too!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)