Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Keen nice Race report on your 5k congrats again on the PB

Rune Welcome back hope your hamstring issues prove to be insignificant

Jmac nice week.

Mark Congrats on the PB amazing time and the turns in that HM are crazy.. no wonder you almost took a wrong turn, twice...

Rune I am following the 41-55 MPW JD plan and I have a HM planned for the the week that he calls for 14 at M pace.  Was debating running at M pace or faster..... Thoughts???

Steve sorry to hear about your calf again

For me ..I deviated from the plan this week with no workouts just a lot of easy miles as I took advantage of some time off of work.....next week will be much lower since I will be off to visit my son at college for parents weekend so likely will miss my long runs on the weekend.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Mon 17.0 8:29 Morning Run 132 strava
    Wed 6.6 8:57 Evening Run 133 strava
    Fri 16.3 8:40 Morning Run 135 strava
    Sat 16.6 8:42 Morning Run 132 strava
    Sun 14.0 8:38 Morning Run 132 strava
      70.5 8:39      

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - yeah Steve has not been running as much lately.  He did a 2:35 or so in London this year, said he was ~200th at the halfway mark, then finished 70th.  He just ran a steady pace with even splits and a lot of people blew up in the heat.  Second half of the race would've been good fun for him passing 130 people haha.

Corey - impressive week.  And yeah, definitely the most technical course I've run.  Where is your son studying?

JMac - the week pre-race was roughly my normal taper prior to a goal half.  30-35km or so before the race, which would be maybe 40% of a regular training week.

Steve - yeah - it's exactly that.  Not an obvious hill but a steady climb nevertheless.  By the way I was next to Mike Hesson on the flight on the way down.  Didn't bug him too much but did take the chance to thank him for everything he's done coaching the Black Caps - probably the best period in their history and has been a great time to be a supporter.

MJ - the prize a whole lot of Thermatec clothing ($250 or so worth I think).  Even better, the sizing is pretty much all correct - the socks were too small but they will fit my wife perfectly haha.  Looks like pretty good quality gear too.

All - just want to say a big thanks to everyone on here for the ongoing support and banter.  This community has been a big motivator for me throughout my running to date and hopefully it is the same for all of you.

OK so on the marathon thing... before I contemplate doing another marathon, I need to get approval from the Ministry of Wife, and the Ministry of Osteo.  Definitely wouldn't be until the second half of next year as I want to have a good go at defending my half marathon series title.  I won't tell you what Stephen Lett thought I could run!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - He's a good bloke, he was just starting his coaching career at my club when I was playing in Dunedin.  He also opened the batting back then and was pretty useful...I added him on Facebook about 6 months ago then completely forgot about it.  Got an alert last night that he'd accepted it, then saw your message this morning, quite a coincidence.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

Mark - Great RR and congrats on the PR! You are getting scary fast now. I was also thinking about how much room you have to improve your marathon time . I think I’ve mentioned it before but there’s a group of runners in Norway chasing 2:30 and they think it’s doable with a 1:12 HM or so.

Corey - Great week! Regarding using the HM as a long m-pace run I highly recommend it. It felt so much easier do do the workout with a bunch of other people around. I did 11 at m-pace and tacked on 2 at t-pace at the end. It’s always fun to pass people at the end of the race while you’re still feeling relatively good!

I got to meet Flavio in person today! Met after the race and had a good talk over a cup of coffee and some post-race snacks.

I also also think I’ve decided to not race next weekend. I want to keep up the good streak on my workouts, and that’s going to be really hard to do if I race. I would try to cut down the mid-week workout before the race to get a mini-taper, and because of some work travel and my newfound fear of doing workouts too soon after a race I would miss next week’s mid-week workout. If I just stick to the program I can get 3 full workouts in instead,  and right now I think it’s a better choice for me. I also think it’s better for my hamstring to not have an all-out race effort.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - you will know yourself best so don't race it if you don't think it'll work with the training schedule.  You can still do the event and just cruise it after all.

Flavio/Rune - good job on the meet-up, guys!  Definitely the longest-range one we have had so far this year.  By my count that makes 3?  Piwi/Mark and Steve/Mark plus you guys?

Steve - he seemed like a genuinely nice guy and was keen for a chat, despite having been stranded in NPL for several hours already that morning!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark - Stephen Lett said 2.30 to 2.35 if you do a proper marathon cycle 😁

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The conversion ratios start getting tighter as you get down in time. I do think Mark could go sub 2:40 with a proper cycle, but it’s a matter of whether he wants to put himself through that. I do think he could go sub 2:45 with 60 MPW. Mark, Boston sign up is this week...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Hi there guys, had a great time chatting with Rune today.

It's a shame I didn't think to register for the Giants Race, it seemed pretty cool.

MJ - I didn't run with Rune because I'm busy honing my Homer Simpson skills.

30K last week, I guess I'll take it because it was hectic working 2 jobs. Now I only have the new one for this week so it should be better I guess.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio you beat me as I ran 29kms last week  I did do alot of surfing if it counts for anything ! Do you get a nice pay rise ?

I nearly had a forum encounter last week with Jluff who ran to within 2kms from my home but is now back in Washington. So close yet so far !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Yes, I get a nice raise, however I'm on a sort of paid trial for 2 weeks and the project is supposed to last only 3 months. I'm betting that I'll be able to stick around and that after this project completes there will be more work to do.

It's a big risk but big reward.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Rune: you have been gone from Europe for too long. The proper post race hydration strategy includes wheat beer - especially if you are meeting someone from far away. You had one climb in there that didnt move you HR at all Smile Great race. You could have easily PRed if you had eanted to - with a proper taper, no?

Mark: great prize - especially since you will be able to share it with your wife.

Flavio: IT projects ALWAYS overrun. 3 months turn into 6 easily, so dont worry and go spend it on a few Altras while you are in the States Smile

Meetups: I will be in the US more often going forward and will try to do an easy run with Jmac in Central Parc one day and a wheat beer meet with Rune. But I absolutely hope to be able to drag the entire family to NZ and you will see me surfing on Piwis board then Smile

If anyone ever passes by Zurich, let me know Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mark he is studying Architecture at Clemson University.   We are driving up on Friday evening and staying the weekend

It's not to far from the house about 1.5 hours

I also agree with your statement about this group providing great support and motivation.

Rune I was contemplating, not racing it, but running at a solid HM pace, is that too much too close to my Marathon? Should I stick with M pace maybe finish like you did with a 2 mile tempo? I kinda wanted to see where my fitness level is at, but at the same time don't want to run to hard and not be prepared for my Marathon.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Hi all!!!

I didn't manage to get look at this forum over the weekend, so I will not respond to each post. I will however second Mark's post: and thanks everyone. Also for me (although at a lower speed) this community has been a big motivator to get though the training and getting close to my HM goal.

Last week:

After last week 10 K I was fairly tired. This summer was the first time I consistently ran more than 40 miles every week, so my monthly miles increased. Additionally, I have included intervals (and race pace) once or twice a week, increasing the speed too. So, to avoid injuries, This week I decided to either have quantity and quality. After consulting here, I have decided to keep miles up for the last week and include some speedy interval this week. So I picked my miles just above 50.

date Miles time pace
                            03/09/2018 4.6 38:00:00 08:20
                            05/09/2018 8.3 01:01:30 07:24
                            06/09/2018 4.6 35:30:00 07:48
                            07/09/2018 6.3 50:00:00 07:57
                            08/09/2018 9.3 01:14:00 07:58
                            09/09/2018 17.2 02:16:45 07:59
                            tot 50.3    

It is now 2 weeks to the Belfast city half marathon, and towards the end of last week, I have been told that I have to spend the last week (from the 16th to the 21st, coming back in Belfast at noon the day before the race).

So I guess I will taper on the treadmill in North Carolina (Raleigh- Durham).

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I saw that missed encounter on Strava, that's too bad. Remember when you were running 50-60 MPW every week earlier this year? What happened to that man?

MJ - Always up for a beer or a run. If you come before my marathon, it'll be a run. If you come in November or December, it'll definitely be a beer 

Marco/Corey - Nice weeks.

Flavio/Rune - Nice that you guys got to meet up. Flavio, you're going to need a nice raise if you want to afford the bay area, that place is nuts now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Incredible job in Dunedin. And I find it super-amusing that the first comment I read upon getting back here was you saying "it doesn't look like a PB course"!
                                I've noticed the same trend with regards to Garmin VO2Max. Case in point today: Interval workout, with temps below 60F/15.5C for the first time since at least April and my estimate jumped 2 points.

JMac - Great week! Nice that you're getting some better weather, too.

CFarr - Great week, too! How far from your marathon is this race/workout? Running it at M pace would be great for practicing nutrition/hydration in a race setting, but on the other hand running it all-out (assuming you're 4+ weeks out) would be a good predictor. Personally, I'm planning on the latter for my HM in ~4 weeks.

Marco - Solid week. Looks like you're building things quite nicely.

Flavio & Rune - Nifty that you guys got to meet up.

Pretty pitiful week from me. I got sick after the 5k, missed a couple days of running, 80% of a workout, and miles off of the days I did run (except Saturday).
                                DD1's soccer game was cancelled Saturday, so I did run with the local club rather than solo around the lake (I'll take that segment crown later!). Had a pretty good LR with 10 @ M pace in cool-ish but drizzly weather. Felt great doing that until mile 7 when the wind picked up and moved from a cross to headwind. Things became noticeably tougher then and some GI issues came about. Took a bit of a break after the next mile and was able to finish strong after.
                                Feeling pretty great to start this week, and looking to put up some pretty big miles the next few weeks ahead of my half.
                                My "weak":

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                                Tue 5.0 8:15 Bailing on 5x 4 min I after the first interval. 139 (71%) strava
                                Wed 6.3 8:18 It's going to be one of those days... 131 (67%) strava
                                Thu 10.0 7:12 Daniels 3T, 2T, 1T 159 (81%) strava
                                Sat 17.1 7:38 Soggy, with 10M and the Landrunners 157 (80%) strava
                                  38.4 7:42      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4