Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Awesome week, JMAC.

SteveChCh - just use a golf ball on your calf!

This past week:

Monday - 4.5 miles @ 7:53 pace

Tuesday - 2 miles + 7x1200m @ 6:04 pace + 1 mile

Wednesday - 8 miles (slow)

Thursday - 4.5 miles @ 6:34 pace

Friday - 2 miles + 10 x 200m Hills @ 6:16 pace + 2 miles

Saturday - off

Sunday - 22 miles @ 7:29 pace

Total: 52 miles

Which leads me to this...should I shoot for a 3:15 marathon in two weeks? I rolled off a lot of 7:10 miles today until mile 18 where I decided to sort of cut back the pace.  Things started to suck around mile 22 and my pace fell to 7:50’s...so I’m pretty sure another 4 miles on pace were not going to happen. This was not a flat course either.

I'm thinking if I run steady 7:28’s in Chicago, I have a shot. Thoughts?

Mark nice week good luck with the race this weekend

JMac another nice week

Brose nice week.....I'm no expert but imo you should be able to hit 3:15.

for me I got back on track with the mileage.  I also got a new pair of shoes (Altra Paradigm 4) went for a shoe with a lot of cushion  to help my feet out these also have a zero drop and I can definitely tell I am using some different muscles.  the first run was on Wednesday, and I was hardly able to maintain my slow pace and had to work at it. I wore my old shoes on Thursday and decided to give the new ones a try again on Saturday although it was much harder to get up to and maintain my M pace I did it. Really sore still today though.  Hopefully I'll adjust.

I still need to find a pair of shoes to run the race in though as these are just too soft.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Sep 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 10.0 8:05 Evening Run strava
      Wed 4.4 8:47 Evening Run strava
      Thu 7.0 8:23 Evening Run strava
      Sat 12.0 8:05 3E+5M+2E+1T+1E strava
      Sun 15.2 8:45 Morning Run strava
        48.6 8:25    

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Bro - I guess I'll say it again: you really need to slow down on your runs. I just did 22@7:20 or so pace this weekend but I'm trying to run my marathon at 20 minutes faster than you. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't understand why you think running 22 miles at MP is an appropriate workout. It's almost impossible for us to tell what you can run because you tend to follow the always fast model, never taking things easy. Normally anyone who could throw up a 22@7:30 should be able to go sub 3 in a marathon, so 3:15 should be a joke. But, I'm worried that you continue to leave your best performances in training. Your Monday workout was too fast for your fitness, your Tuesday workout was good, your Thursday workout was too fast/long, and I don't know why you're doing hill repeats the day after a tempo run and this close to the marathon (hill workouts are for early phases of training) Granted, maybe Mark can speak to this because he runs is stuff way faster than most training plans would prescribe, but he has some HR data to back that up. Once again, I'm saying all of this from the aspect that I think you should easily be running sub 3.

Corey - if you went from standard 10mm drop down to zero your calves should be really feeling it. I try to run everything at 4mm drop as my calves, ankles, and feet are much stronger than my knees/hips, so I can take the pressure in my lower legs. I don't know that I would ever go 0 drop but I know a lot of people love it. I tend to run with firmer shoes at shorter distances (10K and under), but my shoes aren't made anymore so I can't really give you any recommendations, sorry!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Bro - I guess I'll say it again: you really need to slow down on your runs. I just did 22@7:20 or so pace this weekend but I'm trying to run my marathon at 20 minutes faster than you. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't understand why you think running 22 miles at MP is an appropriate workout.

Totally understand.  But there is a couple things I should clarify.   

1.  I recover extremely well.  I'm not sure why that is, but I feel absolutely no soreness after 22 miles yesterday and can handle lots of speed work.   As for my Sunday run - Daniel's does tell you to run 2 miles + 15 miles at Marathon pace + 2 easy in my training.  I just tacked on a few extra miles to get to 22.  I have been worried about not being able to finish the marathon.   The weather was great yesterday so I just went with what felt comfortable.   I have 2 weeks to go before the marathon...which is an fair amount of time to recover and cut mileage and speedwork. 

2.  My July half marathon at 7:15 pace was in high humidity with temperatures close to 75, on a long course, and hilly...and I had to lead the whole way.  Not easy or in ideal conditions.   I would imagine my pace to be closer to 7:05 in better circumstances.

3.  I'm just naturally better at shorter distance stuff.  4.5 miles in 55 degree weather at 7:53 pace is hardly as taxing as 10 miles at 7:53.  The last .5 of that 4.5 run was also downhill which skews the pace a bit.  Also, I trotted 8 miles on Wednesday with no watch...and had Saturday off.  Again, a good amount of recovery. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

1) I feel zero soreness after my 22 miler as well. Doesn't mean your body doesn't have underlying tendon or muscle micro-tears. I would also add that countless research has shown that it takes 3-4 weeks to get any adaptation from endurance runs. Why are you running 22 miles 2 weeks before the race? There is almost no benefit of it as you won't gain any endurance in time, and there is plenty of downside. I don't know what version of Daniels you're reading, but in his third edition, he has you complete your longest run 4 weeks before the race. Also, he never has anyone running 50 miles a week doing 15 miles at MP, let alone 2 weeks before the race.

2) Everything indicates you should go sub 3 based on your training, yet you don't come close to running that. It's already too late for this cycle, but I really think you should try the slow down approach for your next one. There's clearly something that isn't translating from training to race day, and as I think the vast majority of posters on LRC said, it's because you run too fast in training. Daniels has some great stuff on this about how running faster in training provides zero benefit while just increasing the risk of injury or inability to perform on race day. It's both in his VO2 max (I pace) and LT (T pace) sections.

3) I agree that you clearly have a tendency towards shorter stuff, but running 4.5 miles @ 6:34 is not "shorter" work. That's the type of work you doing for half marathon training, which is where your race paces fall off a cliff. You can't break 1:30 in the half but are running 6:35 for 4.5 miles in training? I know you had a bad weather day during your half but once again, this seems like you're racing in training, no matter how "easy" it felt. You're obviously a ST runner and running intervals at faster paces is probably appropriate for you, but then that goes completely against why in the world you're running 22 miles at MP.

That's about all I have for you, I think you know where I stand on your running approach . I really suggest you go back and read that LRC thread you posted on. There was a lot of good advice on there and it feels like you're still ignoring it, e.g. there are 5+ posters that mentioned during more cruise intervals but you're still focusing on 1200m and 200m repeats in marathon training.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac - I really do appreciate the feedback.  

Fully recovering, which is what I want to do, takes no more than 7-10 days.  I'm getting 14 days of recovery.

I dropped the Daniel's plan a couple weeks back because of vacation time, priorities, etc....so I've been doing patchwork and doing a few quick runs.   Not ideal, but the goal is just to finish this race comfortably.  I only considered a 3:15 goal time once I easily rolled through yesterday's workout.  A lot can happen on race day and I'll make sure I'm choosing a good race day plan based on temperature, etc.    

You are also not considering lots of the longer runs I've done in the past couple of months...many of them where around 8:00-8:45 pace.  In fact, last weeks 17 miler took me 2 and half hours.  Lots of my easy miles are run with my wife at 10 minute pace.  I'm far destroying myself day in/day out.  Last week was a bit of anomaly. 

There are people running 3:00 marathons on 45 miles a week running all of their runs at 6:50 pace.   I scoff at this training plan but these people are out there and getting these results.   There is not one way to train.

This week calls for about 35-45 miles of running with one workout of 2x3 miles at marathon pace (7:30).  I peaked at 71 miles but have been averaging 50 per week for the entire marathon cycle.  So cutting down to low 40's this week will be good.  The week of the marathon plans for 4 or 5 days of running no more than 4 miles a day, very easy with some strides.

My initial goal of 3:20 seems very much in reach now.   I understand that you think I should be running sub-3 based off yesterday's 22 miler, but I do not have the aerobic strength to hold 6:50's for that long....but 7:30 is comfortable.

Consider this:  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/

- Current 5K fitness is about 18:45 on a fast course.
              - My last Half Marathon was about 1:35:00 on hard course.
              - 50 miles a week average

Marathon Time: 3:24:00

I'll be ok.

Hi all!

Sorry I didn't have the time to write yesterday after the race and today was mad... here is my quick post-race message; I have a good news and a "less good" news...

1. It was a PR, and a fairly big one considering last year I ran my PR on this race in 1h34'38'', that my previous PR was done In June (just 3 months ago) and it was 1h31'37'' and that I ran my first half marathon 5 years ago in ~1h50'

- I ran in 1h 30' 09'' --- I threw everything I had at it and I gave everything I had, but the last 3 miles or so were just too tough for me to get a sub 90...

But I am happy for the 1'30'' improvement, I guess Smile

A RR to follow as soon as I can find a few minutes alone in front of the computer and I am not working...

hope you all started a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Bro there are very few runners who run sub 3 on 45 mpw at 6.50 pace and they are likely very talented sub 2.40 potential on higher mileage.

Next marathon cycle pick a plan and follow it including paces based on your fitness from recent race results.

Cfarr zero drop is risky. Unless you can handle the stress on your lower legs then better to up the drop. Its still good to find out where your preference is so its not a waste of a shoe 😀

Marco nice job.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - trolololol  It's a shame you're not following me on Instagram, I had such a beautiful picture posted there last weekend (I'm sure Rune saw it). There's still time, hola at me at flaviotravelblog

Steve - have you put some thought on the root cause of why you have calf issues? Is it because they take the brunt of your weight when running due to your form?

When I did the gate analysis one of the results was that I was sort of leaning forward putting extra stress on the lower back leg muscles and tendons (calf, ankle, achilles).

Mark - non stop races, I’m jealous of you.

Jmac - big-ly week!

bro - Let’s see what race day brings you, if you are struggling with slowing paces at the longer distances, I highly recommend a conservative approach (your 3h15 target seems about right) so you stand a chance at a negative split.

What’s holding you back in the marathon? Is it muscular issues (cramps) or is it running out of energy?

Corey - take it easy with the Altra shoes. The paradigms are smooth and good for those long recovery runs, but not really for fast stuff. For those the one2.5, the escalante racer or the vanisher would be better.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I missed your post for some reason. Does he still have his job as a police officer? I would be so mad if I saw him running. I'd probably put objects in his way that don't impact people with shoes on, like sharp pebbles or scalding hot water on the pavement 

bro - Let’s see what race day brings you, if you are struggling with slowing paces at the longer distances, I highly recommend a conservative approach (your 3h15 target seems about right) so you stand a chance at a negative split.

What’s holding you back in the marathon? Is it muscular issues (cramps) or is it running out of energy?

Hey...here are my splits from Sunday's 22 miler.  The first 17 were pretty comfortable and then I pulled back after that. Temperature was 64 and sunny at the start.

1.  7:44

2.  7:29

3.  7:34

4.  7:24

5.  7:25

6.  7:22

7.  7:17

8.  7:14

9.  7:07

10. 7:08

11. 7:17

12. 7:15

13. 7:12

14. 7:31

15. 7:11

16. 7:47

17. 7:29

18. 7:53

19. 8:02

20. 7:33

21. 8:03

22. 7:43

I hit a bit of a hot streak and had zero elevation climb on miles 7 through 15.  It felt very easy, but If I hold back and knock out 7:30's for those middle miles during the race I figure I will certainly have enough left over for the last 4 miles to push through hard.  Rolling 7:10 from the start will be a death march beyond mile 18.  

I'm in Corral B/Wave A, so we will be rolling.

A good excerpt for me to remember:

"Start a marathon too slowly, and you can recoup some of the time you lost by picking up the pace when you find yourself with something left in the final miles, said Stephen Seiler, a sports scientist at University of Agder in Norway, “but there is no good way to get the monkey off your back if you have gone out too hard.” The optimal way to run a fast marathon is with an even pace, so that any changes in speed come as a kick at the end."

Bro I wish you luck and you should learn alot from this marathon.

Flavio I havent entered the world of Instagram. Probably best I dont . I totally echo your words on leaning forward causing stress on lower legs. Pick your head up and run tall is something I try to tell myself.

Jmac yes I believe he still has his job. The story is getting alot of attention here on my facebook running groups. One of my running mates finished 2nd and 3rd to him in this marathon and Rotorua which is an Athletics NZ event so he was DQed from that. My mate has never received a 3rd place medal from Rotorua. Hes pretty chill about it.

The problem is most running events are run by businesses and dont really care so these cheats can still race. I wonder how many non elite runners have gone down this path of taking banned PEDs.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac yes I believe he still has his job. The story is getting alot of attention here on my facebook running groups. One of my running mates finished 2nd and 3rd to him in this marathon and Rotorua which is an Athletics NZ event so he was DQed from that. My mate has never received a 3rd place medal from Rotorua. Hes pretty chill about it.

The problem is most running events are run by businesses and dont really care so these cheats can still race. I wonder how many non elite runners have gone down this path of taking banned PEDs.

Yeah once again, I'm reminded how blessed I am to run with New York Road Runners, who implemented drug testing even for the non-professional fields in a lot of the races. Not that I'm going to be close to winning one, but still, they're good about being at the forefront of improving the sport, e.g. drug testing, banning bib sellers, and using timing mats at 5K intervals to prevent cheaters.

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah once again, I'm reminded how blessed I am to run with New York Road Runners, who implemented drug testing even for the non-professional fields in a lot of the races. Not that I'm going to be close to winning one, but still, they're good about being at the forefront of improving the sport, e.g. drug testing, banning bib sellers, and using timing mats at 5K intervals to prevent cheaters.

Yeah, that is excellent JMac. I would not be nearly as chill as Piwi's mate if I'd been pipped by a drug cheat.

Even at the Athletics NZ championship events here I have not seen any drug testing.  For the most part it's a small enough community that I think people would generally know if something was up with a particular athlete.  However it's still a little unnerving to think that it would actually be quite easy to get away with it.  There have been one or two prominent cases at various points in time (including an NZ Olympic athlete that later got busted for EPO) so we'd be naive to think the scene was clean here.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

matthewfschwartz

Again it has been awhile, so I apologize, but I promise I have been running! This last week I registered in a local 5K just for fun and to see where I was at, because I really had no idea to be honest. Leading up to the 5K, I had only a handful of workouts, including a mile repeat workout, 400m intervals, some long run pickups, and a straight 3 mile tempo run. I was just lucky the weather dropped from 95 degrees on Thursday to 55 degrees on Saturday morning! A little race report for y'all:

The first mile was mostly uphill, so I took it out conservative in a 5:56 (plus I wasn't really confident in running much faster due to my lack of training). Second mile was pretty much all downhill, which helped a lot to get me to my 5:34 2nd mile split. Third mile, I was gaining on 1st place, and finally passed him with confidence with about 1K left to go. I ended up closing my last mile in a 5:35, and finished the slightly less than 5K (3.06 miles) in 17:22. I was shooting for sub 18:00, so this race was definitely a surprise to me, and a solid confidence booster heading into my mileage buildup before the start of my HM training block in October.

Bro- I have to say, I agree wholeheartedly with Jmac on this one. Granted, I have only run one marathon myself, and my training was pretty stupid for it too (only 4 weeks). 1. I would argue that a 22 mile long run is not even necessary for marathon training. It's simply overkill. 2. You should not be running a 22 mile long run at any point when you are at 50 miles per week. A 22 mile long run is more in the range of 75 miles per week. 3. You should not be running a 22 miler only 2 weeks before a marathon, the physical benefits won't appear in time for the race, and the only purpose a long run like this serves is a mental confidence booster, and a risky one at that. This is just asking for an injury. The Thursday/Friday sequence is also questionable, there is just no need to run hills the day after a tempo type workout. Other than that, I don't see too much of a problem with the other runs. I myself run my recoveries pretty brisk (usually 7:00-7:30).

Just know that we are telling you these things not to harp on you, but because we care about your health and future races. Best of luck in Chicago in my neck of the woods!

Cfarr-  Good week! Something I like to do is alternate shoes every day, especially if I'm trying out a new one. This helps them last longer and I've heard it's also good for your feet to adapt to different types of shoes.

Marco- Great race, you are inching ever closer to that sub 1:30!

Looking back at it, I'm not sure why I tapered into a local 5K as if it were a big deal, but I did haha

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Sep 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 6.0 7:05 Exploring the other half of linear strava
                                Tue 6.0 6:45 Warmup, 3 mile tempo, cooldown strava
                                Wed 6.0 7:17 Morning Run strava
                                Wed 0.4 7:53 Warmup to strides strava
                                Thu 4.0 7:06 Morning Run strava
                                Fri 3.0 7:25 Taper strava
                                Sat 2.0 7:29 Warmup strava
                                Sat 3.1 5:39 Wildcats Wellness 5k strava
                                Sat 2.0 8:16 Cooldown strava
                                  32.5 7:03    

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link