Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - new shoes, that's awesome, I'm happy to hear the wife let you open the box already.

You must be building some serious strength if you are running those beach runs on the sand.

Jmac - I built this nice box for you.

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

- * - * - * - * - * -  I HATE YOU   - * - * - * - * - * -

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

While in the US it was so damn difficult because there were so many ethnic restaurants available, I had to try them all (Iranian, Cambodian, Greek, Vietnamese). I really need to learn how to watch my portion sizes so I can still have fun eating what I like.

I come from an Italian family and food is at the center of everything.

I've learned a few tricks lately though. I noticed that after lunch I always crave something else (because the food is boring), but it does not have to be sweet, so I have almonds and apricots on hand, just half a hand is enough to shut up the gluttony god.

I have also realized that hungry me thinks he can eat 10lbs of food, so if I manage to get something in before deciding on what to eat I'm usually satisfied and don't over eat.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Hi guys, sorry I have been busy at work and could not find the time to write here..

Keen/Steve: sorry for your loss....sad to hear that

lots of activity and nice races lately, congrats and thanks for the reports.

Thanks all for the great tips, I agree and I will find new races and  try again. For now last week I took it easy for the first few days, then I went to the track on Thursday and done a few speedy short intervals (500-400-300-200-200-300-400-500) at ~3'10/15 to get some speed in. I am racing on Saturday in a road relay on a very weird distance (3,380 mt) but very flat. I will try to get a good time there, then will try to do a park run while planning for next year.

I think I need a recovery cycle now before starting for the marathon prep (I am planning to run the Belfast city Marathon on the 5th of May)

I will recover or speed up (depending on feeling) for October. Then I will start a new cycle Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I couldn't tell you if I lost anything or not, I think my scale is pretty wonky at times so I haven't stepped on it very frequently. I did just have a biometric scan appointment at work to get an insurance discount (checking height, weight, body fat, fasting glucose...) and the weight they gave me was a good 7lbs / 3.18kg less than what I figured it would be, but who knows how accurate their scale was either.

Portion sizes in the US will absolutely do you in at most places.

JMac - I'm pretty sure I can still go sub-90, but the PR attempt is absolutely gone without an unexpected cold front. Yes, I'm in better shape than I was in April, but this course is a bit more challenging and the temp will be 10* higher.
        Originally this was to replace a 1E, 5M, 1T, 4M, 2E (continuous) workout. Doing this workout is now more tempting. More by effort than pace, of course, but I'm not at all sure what to consider a realistic M pace.
        I'm also debating whether or not to use my planned marathon shoes for this race or save them for a 15M workout in a few weeks.

Piwi - Aren't new shoes the best?? I typically wear mine until they're pretty dead as well.

Marco - Good luck on the relay - I've wanted to run one of those for a while. Best of luck with your recovery before starting your next real cycle.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Well guys...some unfortunate news. 

I've come down with some strep throat.   

I've been on antibiotics since yesterday and did not run at all yesterday because of it.  Took work off yesterday and I'm working from home today to avoid spreading the misery. 

Throat is obviously gross and my sinuses are a better congested along with some body aches...but I'm going to do my best to rest and hopefully be good to go on Sunday.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I love new shoe feeling too. Sometimes I think my shoes are completely fine, and then you put on a new pair of the same version and realize how dead the old ones were. I still don't have a great system for knowing when to replace them though besides just tracking miles and ditching them at some point around 400-500 miles.

Flavio - That box you built may be one of my top 5 favorite things I've seen on this forum. My problem is I don't stop when I feel satisfied, I only stop eating once I feel sick because I can't eat anymore. And Keen is totally right, portion sizes will kill you in the US, there's a reason there are so many fat people in our country. I've found that eating nuts and chewing gum helps me. The nuts are healthy and have good fats, which fill you up quickly, and the gum satisfies the sweet tooth.

Keen - I run in my marathon shoes all the time, for any T or M paced workout. I actually think having shoes not worn in enough is a mistake for the big race. They shouldn't have hundreds of miles in them, but they definitely should have at least 50, up to maybe 150. To Piwi's point, we have the KP adjuster formula. For the temps you're dealing with, if your goal was sub 1:25 with great conditions, I think between 1:28 and 1:29 is the right adjusted goal. I would go out at 6:45 pace and go from there. You probably will feel like it's too slow for the first 3-4 miles, but heat and humidity start hammering you later in races so it's so important actually not to run by feel during high temps.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Keen/jmac i ran one hot half marathon. It was a team triathlon and i was the runner. By the time my team got me running it was 11am in summer and over 26c 78 F. I ran the first half at sub 1.24 pace but crashed in 1.27. So im giving you -4 mins 

Flavio/keen/jmac i was using the strava shoe log for a while but got lazy and let it get out of date. I think at my age its easy to feel when the concrete really starts jarring and making you ache.

New shoes are great especially when you score a bargain. I will never quite replicate the excitement i had getting my first pair of racing shoes online. They were Nike Lunaracers from Running Warehouse and so light they felt incredible compared to the old 12oz clunkers i had.

Flavio/jmac i too am a pig  and clean up all the leftovers after dinner. I need to just let my stomach and brain get to a decision of no i dont need the extra !

Marco nice job on those short intervals. Ive never run shorter than 800s which is crazy i know. Just to know i can run 3 min /km for 400m would be a mental boost.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bro - Bummer about the strep. Hopefully you're different, but antibiotics always wreck aerobic performance for me until they've completely worked their way out of my system.

JMac - I typically run races in the same make/model shoes I train in, or in this case a slightly different model (Altra Escalantes are my usual, planning on using the Escalante Racer). With this I know what to expect from the shoes, so usually do a longer tempo or tune-up race in them, along with a LR and call it good if there are no issues. My M+T LR from a couple weeks ago was when I tried them out first.

Thanks for the guidance on adjusted pace - that's certainly helpful.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - that's a huge body weight swing (10%).  Just be careful you're putting enough fuel in given the volume of training you're doing at the moment.

Bro - get better soon.

Keen/JMac - re hot HMs... I've had a couple now.  The worst was Orewa in Feb... 23C/99% humidity - I was taking it a bit easy post holiday anyway, but ran around 1:24 I think.  Best case would've been 1:21-ish if I'd really given it a nudge but that is definitely a sub-1:20 course for me under better conditions.

Me- ugh having totally got rid of the food poisoning I've now got a light cold.  My daughter has had it so I think my immune system was down a little after the food poisoning so I've picked it up, albeit in a pretty mild form.  Should be all good by relays on Saturday though, it seems pretty minor.

Re race shoes- I don't train in my racing flats which I wear for HM goal races (as well as any races shorter than HM distance), although I had broken them in with a few short workouts before I started racing in them.  But for my marathon last year, I'd trained a fair bit in the Saucony Kinvara's I wore for the race.  I wear Kinvara's mostly for workouts/tempo runs and also wear them for any less important HM's (e.g. Devonport last Sunday).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's interesting some people don't train in the shoes they race in. I've heard that you pretty much have to with these new elite racers, e.g. 4%, as they aren't meant to do more than 150-200 miles in them. I like training in my racing shoes specifically because they use such different muscles being flats that I want to get them prepared for the race. Of course, this does wear down my racing shoes much faster.

Mark - I never really thought about the weight drop in percentage term, that's interesting. I've pretty much settled at my current weight for a month now, so I don't think I'll be entering any sort of danger territory.

Me - September was my highest mileage month ever. I ran 268MI/431KM. I remember when I first thought about what it meant to do 70/113 in a week and thought it was crazy. Now that I've gotten used to it, I'm already wondering if I can bump it up to 80 for Boston next spring. The problem above this level is that it removes my desire to run only 6 days a week. I actually have really enjoyed only 5 days a week for most of my buildup, but I couldn't keep that once I went up to 70. I'm not sure where it breaks that I need to 7 days a week, but probably won't go to whatever that mileage is. I would rather incorporate doubles than lose that off day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac ive never hit that sort of mileage but the doubles would help alot.

Ive always done my intervals and tempo runs in my race day shoes and marathon shoes need to be used on long runs a few times to rule out blisters etc. I guess once you know a model well you could be a bit more conservative with their use.

Oh and can someone give me a 400m interval workout to try ( remember Im old ) would 8x400@3k pace with 1 min recoveries be right ? Just trying to get leg speed up.

I'm on day 4 of strep and I'm still admittedly too weak to run and my sinuses are partially congested.  I definitely wanted to get a few runs in this week but I was only able to run on Monday.  I am now very worried that I will not be 100% by Sunday to run Chicago. 

I've considering running part of the race and stepping off the course when my body would possibly give in to the illness, or maybe just skipping the race altogether.  A bit sad as I was primed for a decent race after several good long runs this summer.   

Looking for advice here.  Is it worth it to run this?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For pure leg speed, you need to A) speed it up and B) lengthen recoveries. So 3K pace is too slow, and your recoveries are too fast. You're sort of in no man's land of not fast enough for pure leg turnover, but too fast for VO2 max.

I would go with something like 8x400 @ 1.5K pace (or mile pace for Americans), with full 400 meter recoveries. The point of this workout as you said is just to get leg speed up, so you should take those 400 meter recoveries as slow as possible since you want full recovery.

Edit: this is a hard workout. It may be too much for you given your recent mileage history (mean that in the most friendly way possible). I would honestly do 200 meter repeats with 200 meter recoveries if you don't want to risk injury here. I'm not even sure I could do 8x400 right now since I haven't done speed workout recently.

runethechamp

PIwi - Just for leg speed I would keep the aerobic effort low, so with long breaks. This is what JD refers to as reps. 8x400 reps at mile pace, rest for 2 to 3 times the amount of time your reps take (although JD suggests a progression up to that amount with start at 200m reps). If you want a hard workout from it, 6-8x400 at 3k race pace (which should be very close to VO2Max pace) with 1 minute recoveries should be good.

JMac - Nice month! I got up to 220 in July but have been a bit below that since. I also laughed at your workout yesterday, it's exactly the same feeling I had when I did a similar one a couple of weeks ago. It looks like those last 2 miles at T-pace should be easy after a bunch of easy miles but they are not .

Mark - Good luck with that cold! I'm crossing my fingers I can stay away from anything like that for the next 3 weeks. I was really annoyed at a coworker who sits next to me when he showed up to work with a cold, sneezing and coughing all the time. That's what you have your sick days for!

Flavio - Nice box for JMac . I keep losing weight with my program as well but right now I almost feel too skinny.

Keen - Good luck in your race. I thought it was a lot of fun to do an m-pace workout during a race, especially because you are working at less than race effort, while most people around you are struggling a lot more .

Shoes - I like to have some miles in my race shoes, but not too many. That way they are fresh, but I will also have figured out if they will hurt my feet at all.

Yesterday I did a 2+2+1+1+1 tempo workout. I have increased my training paces so the goal was 6:51 pace (down from 6:56 earlier), and I decided to go with the modified rest breaks of 1 minute per 5 minutes running instead of 1 minute per 1 mile running. I stupidly opened with 6:41 and 6:46 on the fist interval because it felt so easy . 6:45 and 6:48 was ok on the next interval but I was really happy that was it for the 2-milers at the end. The first 1-miler was pretty good at 6:44, but during the second one I was cursing myself for going too fast earlier and I came in at 6:50. When I started the last one I had to to some serious Piwi mind-tricks. I told myself that if I couldn't keep my pace close to my goal pace I could bow out at the half mile point. I kept going and gave myself another quarter mile, and once that was done I felt I could complete the mile. Came in at 6:52 for the last mile so not too bad, but I definitely had the feeling the workout ended up a bit too hard. At least it gave me some good mental training for the end of races later on.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - yeah I find people who don't use sick leave incredibly annoying!! In NZ you get 20 paid sick days each year anyway and my firm has been really good at equipping people to work flexibly (i.e. from home) so there's absolutely no excuse for not using them.  Luckily this cold seems pretty minor and my HR and HRV are both back to normal so I should be good to go tomorrow.

Meactually starting to get pretty excited for National Road Relays tomorrow.  My club, Takapuna, is in the A grade along with 10 other teams.  The variation in depth is crazy though - there are probably 5-6 extremely strong teams and a few like us who just don't have quite the same depth (almost like an A1 grade and an A2 grade).  Wellington Scottish's C team (which is in the B grade) may well be faster than a number of the A grade teams!  Anyway the most important thing for us is actually beating our local rivals North Harbour Bays, who are in the B grade but have a reasonable looking team (I don't fully understand how the grading works but basically they work off cumulative 10k times for each team).

I got the last leg, which has 3 pretty big hills and a flat finish.  I run a lot of hills in my long runs and have had some good races on hilly courses (until recently ALL my PBs were on undulating or hilly courses) so it probably works pretty well for me.  Mostly I'm relieved I didn't get leg 6 (uphill the whole way) or 7 (downhill most of the way). The course is here for anyone who is interested.  I'm not sure we got our leg allocations quite right as we've put our strongest runner on the shortest leg (!).  He (Andrius Ramonas) is an absolute beast who does all sorts of crazy trail runs and ultra's though, so who knows, given it's the uphill leg maybe he'll make us up a whole lot of ground.  On current form and fitness I'm probably actually the 3rd or 4th quickest in the team so gotta make sure I put in a good effort!

I got to Elite frequent flyer status on Air NZ earlier this year as well so I'm bringing most of the team into the frequent flyer lounge with me this afternoon (they were all pretty keen to get to the airport quite a lot earlier when they found out about that).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"