Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Jmac/Rune thanks for the advice. I might go 6 x400 @ 1500-3k pace  with 400m recoveries.

Rune great job seeing that workout through.

Bro the good thing is you wont have lost any fitness in the last week even if you felt like crap. Its just a more dramatic taper. Hopefully you are on the backend of this bug and all will be well for the race.

Mark I dont get any sick days....such is the life of self employment 

Good luck tomorrow. I got a photo of Andrius running with Nick Berry at our marathon. Hes about half as big as Nick who has a huge frame.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

wow so much activity on here.

good luck to everyone racing this weekend

Bros hope you are on the backside of your strep and can still race, i know you put a lot of work into preparing for it.

Mark good luck to you as well

I am heading just south of Charlotte tomorrow to Fort Mill. I was a last minute add to Ragnar trail race, when the team needed a replacement for someone who was not going to make it.

It's an 8 person team, each person will be running 3 legs for a total of 16.4 miles  https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/carolinas_sc#course I'll be running in the 6th position with projected start times about 7pm Friday on the red course, night 230am on the yellow, and again 10am Saturday to finish on the green

I don't plan on racing just running for the fun with the team, will be camping out an having a good time while not running.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Piwi, I agree with JMac and Rune. faster longer recoveries are better.

Recently I ran with my local running club a couple of variations on the theme (like my latest interval training) in which you start with either 800 or 500 and you go down to 200 and then you go up. The idea is to run your first interval with a god pace (1500 to 3000) and then aim to pass at 400 (or 300) in each of the other with the same pace, keeping the same pace throughout. it's simple going down, but a bit more complex when you scale up again

What I would probably change from my last training (which was 500,400,300,200,200,300,400,500) is that I would add a couple of 400 at the same speed at the end (or as many as you need to complete your mileage for the day). This is probably not needed starting from 800 (this may seem not what you are looking for, but it was a good exercise for me coming from long running to the speedy intervals, as it starts a bit longer, and you can speed up in the 300 and 200, but you do not stress too much on speed, rather on resisting to speed - I found it helpful to get my muscles ready to speed up the week after) . Recovery 2' walking or jogging.

let us know how it goes. Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marco - you got some nice leg speed man!

Keen - scales are not very accurate, but just like GPS, you can have a rough idea with enough data points. You most certainly have lost some weight.

Also, if PR is not on the cards due to weather, just go for it anyway. You know from past races that your heart rate can go higher than you think.

Bro - If you wake up clean and feeling good on Sunday just go for it anyway, the training has been done and your body won’t lose fitness during a week.

If you however are feeling weak, with a funny voice or something like that I’d caution you to be a DNS. If you step the line you will want to finish it and the effects of racing a marathon with a low immune system are devastating. I’ve experienced myself while limping to a 4h49 marathon a few years ago.

Jmac - I’m glad you liked the box haha. Nice job with the mileage and thanks for the conversions.

Rune - you’re never too skinny for running heh. You seem to be in a very good shape and the lower weight is good for your tendons.

Corey/Mark - good luck on your relay races

me - Taking over a Strava segment race report

I woke up and there was a fight in my head, the traditional devil vs angel fight.

Devil - we have to take over that downhill Strava segment. It's gonna be so easy, 7:48 for 1.8km.

Angel - But, but it's all downhill, there's a huge risk of injury. And won't I look like an idiot for running easy everywhere but the segment?

Devil - who cares, a man has to be entertained!

Angel - But it's too big of a risk!

Devil -

One elephant annoys everybody

Two elephants annoy and annoy a lot more

Three elephants annoy everybody

Four elephants annoy and annoy and annoy and annoy a lot more

Five elephants annoy everybody

Six elephants annoy and annoy and annoy and annoy and annoy and annoy a lot more 

Angel - Fine, fine, fine, damn it!

As I arrived at the segment starting point:

Angel - ok, fine, we just have to run 4 min/km and we'll take it down easily. I'll just step on the gas pedal and

VROOOOOOOMMMMMM

Angel - woah dude, we're running 3:10 per km, that's 31 minutes 10k, that's Mark Paterson's pace!

Devil - yeah, but Mark runs it on the flat 

Angel - Ok let's slow it down a bit, there's a car intersection and the drivers couldn't care less about pedestrians.

Angel - nice, no cars at the intersection, let's just focus on engaging the core.

After the end of the segment

Angel - hell yeah, we did it, that was easy!

Devil - hell yeah, let's go brag on the running ahead forum!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio have you been drinking  just kidding nice job on that segment. I do plenty of 5.30/km runs and then attack just the segment part while the good guys make it part of a 10k tempo 

Corey nice job stepping into that relay, should be alot of fun.

Thanks for the advice on the 400s which i just did. Was going to do them on the road but felt a little self conscious so did them on the gravel track which is a little slippy with some ups and downs, bends, road crossing etc lol. Anyway they went well after a short 7kms warmup haha Im old, each one felt good. Just as i was hitting paincave I only had 100m to go and the recoveries were perfect at 400m ( 2 mins 20 ish ).

My splits were very even with 5 at 1.20 and 1 at 1.23. Calves were very tight after and as Jmac alluded I havent a base to justify this workout.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi

Flavio have you been drinking  

Nice job with the workout, very steady! Why did you do it again? I wonder what you could run for a 1500. I'm sure you could go way sub 5.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

duplicated.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I ran today about the same time that you would have been running...the wind was pretty brutal but if my calculations are correct it would be mostly a tailwind from ChCh to Akaroa?

JMac -  The stick has finally arrived.  Early review, it's great!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all, relays were fun, but tough course. I think we came 9th but no one seems to quite know. Wind was really tough in places, I didn’t have to deal with that but it got pretty warm when I was running and the hills were brutal especially the last one where I was just hanging on! I ran the Harbour Bays guy down on the 2nd hill after we had see sawed with their team the whole race so kinda had to keep going haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - hope the relay went well

Flavio - speaking of Strava, the guy on our team who ran leg 7 of the relay got a 15:11 5k PB on Strava on his leg.  It is downhill the whole way and he is around a 17:30 guy on the flat.  Fair enough though, he did a great job on the day, probably the best effort on our whole team, and really put our team in a position where I could catch our rivals on the final leg so I reckon he can claim it haha.  Also I just realised one of my team-mates has a whole of CRs along my road from when he was in 2:30 marathon shape so I am going to have to systematically try and take them down just to wind him up haha.

My week was interesting, that cold I got from my daughter meant I wasn't quite 100% for relays and I would've been maybe 20-30 seconds quicker on my leg if I hadn't been sick.  But, job done all the same, the final (brutal!) hill was one of only 3 occasions I've seriously considered tapping out in a race, but when your team-mates have done all the hard work to put you in that position you really have to dig it in so as not to let them down.  That leg of the race had as much elevation gain as the Devonport Half Marathon from last weekend, and that is definitely one of the hilliest half marathons in the country.  All the same I was only 10 seconds slower on the leg than Nick Moore who is in really good form and was a good minute faster than me at National Road Race Champs, so combined with running down our evil rivals I was overall pretty happy, although I almost coughed up a lung when I got over the finish line.  Had a 90 minute easy run for today, was surprised how quick it was for the effort, a few tight spots in the legs but not much fatigue, I guess it was only 10k yesterday even if it was pretty brutally hard on the hills.  Big week of work coming up this week with the Auckland Half Marathon only 3 weeks away.  I've had a couple of relatively light weeks so I'm looking forward to it!

M: weights

T: 10km incl. 4x 500m hard / 200m jog

W: 14km incl. 4x 3 min moderate / 1 min hard / 1 min jog

Th: weights

F: 8km incl. 4x 400m moderate / 800m jog

S: 11.8km incl. leg 8 NZ Road Relays (9.9km / 36:58)

S: 20.8km easy

Total: 65.1km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Job done for me as well. The 2 miles relay is always a strange race as there is no marked distance and you run in against time and others but not really knowing their capabilities.

the relay is a 2 laps race. I tried to be conservative and keep the position in the first lap and then accelerated with the others in the second lap. I am happy for how I followed my tactic until the last 400 meters. Then my usual problem with motivation and pain stopped me from beating the others on the sprint...

But I am happy with a 12'14'' and a 12 seconds improvement from last year time Smile

Now it's time to start planning again training and races.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark/Marco - nice job at the relays.

me - 65km roughly 40 miles in 5h41 + 2x functional training. I'm hoping to keep the streak alive for a few more weeks.

There's a local HM November 18th, though it obviously is going to be hot, so not sure I'll want to run it all out.

Mark/Marco nice job on the races. looks like you both entered the paincave which is always mentally challenging. The team environment really pushed Mark through.

Flavio solid week. When you say why did I do it again, what do you mean ? My daughter worked at the bakery yesterday but only brought home bread so no sweet stuff 

Found $10 on my run today while running 9 min/mile pace so it pays to run slow. I may be professional now, will get back to you on the legalities.

Saw the Chicago marathon result but it was on in the middle of the night here so will watch the replay later. Great to see the Japanese guy run 2.05. They are such a strong marathon nation.

My week. The 400s left me sore as im so undeveloped at those paces. The foam roller is my friend again.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Oct 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Mon 7.0 7.28 beach tempo 5k 19:43 Link
                            Tue 5.0 9:27 Morning Run strava
                            Tue 1.9 8:14 Jog with Da boy strava
                            Wed 7.5 7:34 Afternoon Run strava
                            Thu 7.7 9:59 Afternoon Run strava
                            Fri 5.0 8:58 Afternoon Run strava
                            Sat 7.5 8:02 Morning Run with 6 x 400 strava
                            Sun 8.7 8:21 Morning Run strava
                              50.3 8:38    

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - I meant why did you do it, no idea why the word again is there LOL.

The Japanese dude ran very well and so did Sir Mo (that's what was written on his bib, no joke).

Marky_Mark_17

Marco - nice job on the race

Flavio - nice week

Piwi - if I had a word to describe that race it was 'suckage'.  It didn't occur to me at the time as all energy had been diverted to my legs haha.  Congrats on your pro career!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"