Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Marco - good to see you are still around, nice year and the steady improvement in mileage will help into next year.

Corey - great year and you should be really happy with the PBs, very satisfying when you put the work in and get the results.  If you can keep injury free then I've no doubt next year you can go better again.

Flavio - it was a similar situation for me around Hobsonville and Whenuapai, there is a really fast guy who works in the Armed Forces and obviously runs when he is positioned at Whenuapai which is not all the time.  He has pretty much every segment around there.  Anyway I took one down a couple months ago and surprise surprise he took it back a few weeks ago.  I will have to knock another one off soon just to wind him up.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

matthewfschwartz

So I’m looking at getting a new pair of shoes here soon and recently I’ve been interested in trying out some new brands and shoes. For awhile I switched between the Saucony Triumph ISO and HOKA Clifton series shoes, but I’ve had a few injuries the past couple years. It’s possible that those were mostly due to overuse but it’s also possible that the shoes had something to do with it.

Recently I’ve started trying the Altra Escalante 1.5, which is a zero drop shoe, and I really like it. I’m still wearing the Saucony Triumph ISO 4s every other day as well but soon they’ll need replacing. I’d like to stick to a lower drop (if not 0 drop) because I think it’s a more natural way to run. I’m looking at a few option, the Adizero Boston 7 and Altra Torin 3.5 are a couple, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck in everyone’s training!

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Matt shoes are an individual thing and only you will be able to feel what works. I would love to wear zero drop but would get injured in a heartbeat. 6 to 10mm drop is my sweet spot. Boston's are a nice up tempo trainer but are far from zero drop at 10mm

My week turned out good with nearly 50 miles. Today was 24kms with the last 10kms@4.10/Km. Calf was good but my left hammy/butt got achy. I don't feel too smashed though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

When is the 2019 thread starting?  I don't think anyone here has a half over the next two days?

Shoes are quite individual.  There's drop, how much cushioning, width etc.  Depending on how you run, feet shape (width, arch etc.) what surfaces you run on etc. make a difference.

Piwi - nice week.

My week was an Xmas week.  40+ miles this coming week.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Thu 4.4 10:28 Morning Run strava
          Fri 4.4 10:01 Morning Run strava
          Sat 7.4 7:42 Lunch Run - 6 * (800m moderate intervals & 200m easy) strava
          Sun 4.4 8:16 Morning Run strava
            20.6 8:53  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - good stuff.  Funnily I got a similar hamstring tightness at the end of Wed's long run.

Watson - yep I reckon let's get the final round of weeklies in and then JMac can get the 2019 thread rolling.

Matthew - I use the Saucony Freedom ISO's for longer/easy stuff and the Saucony Kinvara's for workouts.  Like Watson said it depends a bit on your running strike and pronation.  I have a midfoot strike and generally can run in either neutral or overpronation shoes.  I like the lower drop of the Freedom's and Kinvara's (I think they're both a 4mm drop).

Me - final week for 2018 was a good one at 91km (second biggest of the year).  I did an extra easy run on Friday which meant that I ended up on 3,613km for the year, exactly 1km more than last year's 3,612 (I couldn't resist given I was that close!).  Interestingly my rolling 365-day mileage at the moment is only about 30km below my all-time high (hit during marathon training last year) so the fact that the body is holding up well (touch wood) is a good sign I'm getting used to the volume.

A little tired on Wed's long run but had a really good workout on Saturday morning at the track.  Only one workout this week because of the extra volume so figured I may as well make it worthwhile.  Looks like the coach has some fun stuff for next week including hill repeats at the end of a 20km-er on Tuesday and an even longer long run.

M: day off

T: 13.8km easy

W: 28.6km long run

T: 8.3km recovery

F: 6.6km easy

S: 16.2km incl. 6x1km (3:21, 3:15, 3:15, 3:14, 3:06, 3:07) w/ 3 min jog recoveries

S: 17.4km easy

Total: 91km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry been lazy due to my lack of running and dealing with another foot issue (will explain later) so I haven't gotten around to it. I will start the new thread either Monday or Tuesday. You kiwis may be too far ahead for me though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

After 3 months of consistent low mileage (due to either health, work commitment/travels/injuries - but funny enough not on my legs) I spent the last 3 months of the year on a fairly low mileage (~30 miles). However, now it is time to ramp miles again in preparation for the 18 weeks marathon training which is starting next week. This week I am just shy of 50 miles (with a couple of 10 miles and a couple of 8 miles).

I feel fairly tired but ok. Christmas and New year for an Italian are always difficult periods with all our table exercise... so I am happy with my current form (although it has to improve in the next couple of weeks if I want to train properly for the marathon).

I will start the 18 weeks X 70 miles this week in preparation of the City Belfast Marathon. I haven't figure out the pace yet, but I need it for the slow runs; so I will start running the slow runs on a 8:30 pace (which should be ok for a 3h15'/3h30). What do you think?

For now, Happy new year!!! talk in the new thread next week Smile

all the best

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Just catching up on some of the more recent post and the yearly reports.

It seems successful years were had by most.

Congrats to all

JMAC lots of work and miles with great results to show for it!  Thanks for taking on the thread in 2019!

Keen same to you lots of work and miles with a great result!

Mark not sure how you keep up those fast training paces and all those races but the results are there, congrats on a great year thanks for hosting the thread this year

Watson tough/busy year congrats on the new house i'm sure you will be back in 2019

James D tough year for you as well hope you continue to regain strength and get back to racing shape soon

Matt you should be very pleased with that performance in your marathon hope, you get over your aches and pains

Marco congrats on the 10k and HM PR for the year

Piwi you seem to have had a tough year with on and off injuries as well but seem to be on the right track as the year ends.

I hope to see everyone here next year

Best of luck in 2019 may you all be injury free and have success in whatever challenges/goals you set for yourself!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Matt - I agree with Piwi in that shoes are a big personal choice. I love my Escalantes (have a pair of 1.5s but haven't tried them yet), and want to try the Torin next for easy runs. I'd suggest skipping the Duo if that's a thought - they literally rubbed me the wrong way causing blisters I've never dealt with and a soreness on the outside of one ankle.

Chess -  Mark  and I have an interesting, unbalanced game going. Currently the record stands as Mark with the only win and our other completed game a draw.

Zero running for me since the 22nd. The last "little" bug I caught from one of my girls turned into a rough respiratory infection that I'm still recovering from. I think I'll be up for a run in the next day or two, but a PR attempt for any spring race seems out of reach with my fitness loss.

I have been doing more stretching and rolling in my downtime, though, and having two spring "fun" (as opposed to fast) marathons should really help with endurance for whatever I decide to do in the fall.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen bummer on the cold although a couple of weeks off may actually be beneficial for your body.

Keen nice you and Mark have a chess relationship  good luck on evening up the series.

Cfarr thankyou for the well wishes see you in the new year.

Jmac what's up with the foot?

Marco I'm doing an 18/70 pfitz plan. 3rd week in and I've missed 1 week to calf injury and altered the 3rd week. Don't be afraid to tweak it. 50mpw is probably a basic prerequisite to start the plan and you will really want to have been at that mileage for several weeks. This is where I'm playing catchup with all the injury plagued low weeks.

Mark solid end of year week for you. I like those 1000s especially the last 2.

Monday here last day of the year. Rest day for me. Gotta get my legs ready for 3 runs this week over 12 miles. Will see how it goes depending on the legs 

We don't party on new year's eve so I will likely be running early and checking all the carnage.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

The week following race week I hit 7.3 miles, 17.6 the following week, and this week, the last week of the year and I am getting back up to pre race mileage coming in at 40, mostly easy miles aside from a couple miles at rep pace yesterday.

I have a 5k race planned for Jan 12th I was going to just continue to try and maintain about 35-45 mpw and run some 5k pace miles in on a couple runs this week and at least 1 early next before the race.

Does this seem like a good plan or should I really cut mileage and focus more on speed work and 5k pace work?

Target is sub 20

I have one more run tomorrow to complete 2018, I'm planning on an easy 10 miler

that will bring me in at about 2085 miles for the year.

I never thought that would have been possible a couple of years ago.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Dec 24, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 30, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Wed 11.0 8:45 Lunch Run strava
                        Thu 11.0 8:48 Morning Run strava
                        Fri 3.5 9:28 Lunch Run strava
                        Sat 9.5 7:55 Afternoon Run strava
                        Sun 5.0 8:32 Afternoon Run strava
                          40.0 8:38  

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

matthewfschwartz

Mark- Great week and well done on that 6x1k workout! Even your "recoveries" in between the intervals were quite brisk as well.

Jmac- Hope your injuries get sorted out soon, just take your time and make sure you fully recover. I haven't done this with my small injuries and they haven't gone away.

Piwi- That's some dedication right there, not staying up late on New Year's Eve so you can get up early for a New Year's Day run!

Cfarr- Nice final week of the year and best of luck on that 5k coming up!

My final week of 2018:

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Dec 24, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 30, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 5.6 8:02 Feeling quite stellar strava
                          Tue 4.4 6:51 Ye Olde Annual Christmas Morning Run strava
                          Wed 11.3 7:33 4 🦌, 2 🐿 growled at me strava
                          Thu 7.1 7:37 Easy fartlek to appease Mother Biltmore strava
                          Fri 2.2 8:43 Warmup + strides strava
                          Fri 1.0 9:12 Cooldown strava
                          Sat 1.0 8:16 Warmup strava
                          Sat 5.0 6:24 Very slippery Acorn strava
                          Sat 1.0 7:59 Cooldown strava
                          Sun 12.5 7:34 A 🦊 and some full Biltmore action strava
                            51.1 7:34    

Unfortunately, after today's long run, my knee was feeling very tender. I think this is an indication that I need to get it checked out by a professional. It's been bothering me for awhile now and is not improving. At this point, I'm pretty sure it is patellar tendinitis, and I'm just hoping it won't hinder my plans to run a half marathon on January 21 and eventually Boston in April. It's a real shame as I was finally starting to see some aerobic progress but it looks like I'll have to bike until I am able to get in to see a physiotherapist or something. Happy New Year to all and best of luck in 2019!

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Thanks a lot to Mark for being the thread boss in 2018.

Happy new year you slackers! Where's the beer emoticon when I need it 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone, happy new year. I will most likely be setting up the new thread tomorrow, so please be patient! Also, this thread is the walking wounded!

Regarding my foot, I actually got an infection from another cut on the same foot that would have forced me to stop running anyway. In some ways, this is perfect timing, because it's not allowing me to try to get back out there when I know my PTT is not even close to ready to go. Infection has been ongoing for a few days but it's slowly getting better now on some antibiotics. Unfortunately, I don't think the PTT is going to be a minor injury and will require at least 2 full weeks off if not more. Obviously will need to significantly alter my Boston training, but I'm completely okay with that. Surprisingly not too down an out with this injury. I may try to test it out later this week just to see what it feels like, but just walking around it's still pretty tender.

Matt - Just wanted to chime in: it's interesting that you have patellar tendinitis. That's generally a new runner's injury, like shin splints. You haven't been posting much so I don't know your full training history besides what I see on Strava, but maybe too much too soon? Still, it's weird for you to get it given you have some experience.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

matthewfschwartz

Jmac- best of luck with the foot, your training had been looking really good on strava lately! Better now than a few weeks before Boston though. I haven’t been in to see someone yet, I have an appointment scheduled a week from tomorrow, but it feels a lot like patellar tendinitis when I had it 2-3 years ago. It very well could be something else, and hoping it won’t sideline me for more than a couple weeks. I’m not sure what to do about the half marathon I have coming up on January 20, still hoping to run it, but I likely won’t be able to run it as fast as I had hoped.

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link