Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - Congrats on your new AG as well, and all of those impending old-man PRs!

Piwi - Trying to prove you can still hang with the young kids??

Mick - Exotic vacations will do that to you! The doc wants you to rest? Clearly he doesn't appreciate the athletic side of you.
    I did follow JD the whole way (12 weeks) - it was my first time following a legit plan. I think it worked really well for me, and I'll be following one for a FM attempt in the fall.
    Effort between this HM and my previous PR was very similar (likely a bit higher this time), but this course had more elevation gain in the first hill than the other did in the entire race, and temperature/wind were much less favorable this time. There's really only one HM coming up soon, but I seriously doubt I could run it since it's the day before DD2's 4th birthday.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Rune is the coffee making you poo or wee ( sorry to get straight to the details  Wink as I drink too much coffee and need about 3 dumps before a run.

Interesting about gps and hills, I never thought of it like that. I will have to get the tape measure out and do a scaled down experiment to see how different the length is.

Arvind tell me more about Scarlet Fever. Sounds nasty.

Jmac when you get old the memory fails....you are right but im an enthusiastic guy. In the back of my mind I have 50 miles as my weekly target but i havent built up to it Ive just gone straight there ! Silly I know. And im going to miss sunday this week so Im frontloading plus i have an hour to kill waiting for my boy so I thought a little jog would be ok. Its also uphill first half which didnt help. Anyway thanks for reminding me and i wont stress a lower week. In fact maybe i wont run today...

Mick I didnt start running till 42 so im not sure but 40s seem to be a good age for running where your body is still quite strong and mentally you are strong too. The young guys who were fast at college and ran through their 20s struggle with enthusiasm as they compare to those PBs etc so starting late or having alot of years off can be a good thing.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Rune is the coffee making you poo or wee ( sorry to get straight to the details  Wink as I drink too much coffee and need about 3 dumps before a run.

Interesting about gps and hills, I never thought of it like that. I will have to get the tape measure out and do a scaled down experiment to see how different the length is.

Poo! Thing seem to have, eh, firmed up quite a bit the last week.

Regarding hills and gps, it doesn't quite look like the math will substantiate my claim, but at least it makes a small difference. It's been pretty consistent though that trail races around here have measured short for me.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I thought you were a metric person. I’m going o unfriend you on my social networks now.

Piwi - I’m an expert at stag parties from watching the movie The Hangover and I can tell you your stag party is missing 7 extra strippers, a tiger and Mike Tyson.

Oh yeah, great news on turning 50. Most 50 year olds have become a single piece with their sofa and they cannot comprehend things like surf and running sub 18 5Ks.

I’m sure you will create a new Strava segment called PiwiKiwi50 to celebrate the occasion.

The only problem I see for you going forward is this guy:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8780863

MJ - I read your story with the doctor. It’s pretty funny but that’s just because I’m not the one hurting haha.

I’m also turning 38 this year and honestly see no advantage. My hair is graying quickly and I’m constantly having to pluck ear hair.

Mark - I think you could attribute a lot of your consistency also to having a coach. We always need somebody to tell us we're being idiots and running ourselves into the ground.

Piwi / Rune - off loading the unnecessary weight I see , though Piwi seems a bit excessive, maybe he's training for the poo mile...

me - constantly switching back and forth between sandbagging the race and going for the conservative but possible sub 1h30 or going for the “knife in teeth”, “if I die, I die” sub 1h28.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Remember Pythagoras's theorem everyone! On hills you are running the hypotenuse, but GPS is only measuring a flat slope.

If you run a 10 mile race, but run 1 mile uphill int hat race, your GPS would measure A^2 + 1^2 = 10^2, which would be 9.95 Miles. It's something, but not significant.

Okay, end of nerdy math lesson, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

me - constantly switching back and forth between sandbagging the race and going for the conservative but possible sub 1h30 or going for the “knife in teeth”, “if I die, I die” sub 1h28.

Start with the 1:30 pace group (if there is one) to make sure you don't open too fast. If you feel really good after 3 miles pick up the pace. It's worked great for me at two occasions (just at different paces), coming in 2 and 3 minutes faster than the pace group I started with.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

How much do you want to see Jesus? 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - You're so right on the maths, I can't believe I didn't think of that.  On an unrelated note, if you had a watch with an altimeter, would it have some sort of correction for that I wonder?

Also, I feel like you could train reasonably similarly for a 10km/HM, but I think 5km would need a lot more specific speed work, so I can get why you're frustrated.  I've never done it specifically, but I would be ramping up the speed / track sessions big time, within reasonable bounds.  Fundamentally it's a speed gig much more than an endurance gig.

Rune / Piwi - the fastest run is always the one to the toilet!

MJ - gah, the 'I'm not sure so take it easy' scenario... frustrating!

Flavio- yeah the coaching has definitely helped me avoid injury.  She uses Training Peaks which measures training stress balance.  I won't profess to fully understand it but basically if it gets too negative for too long, it means you're tired and she'll either reduce load for a few days or swap out a workout for an easy run.  Typically when you're tapering for a race it should swing strongly into the positives meaning you are nice and fresh for race day.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio I got a birthday card yesterday that said " you know you are getting old when you are having a bad hair day....with your ear hair "

I was shocked when the hairdresser asked me if i wanted my eyebrows trimmed, then there"s nostril hair but that"s a whole different subject.........

Go out a 4.10/km then die or push on at 15kms  hope that helps !

I read that thread on Letsrun. That guy comes from a talented running family. He does look excessively ripped but that doesnt automatically mean hes been juicing. I see the famous tall skinny Kenyan 1500m star Kiprop I think got done for drug use.

JMAC doh I knew I should have listened at school. Like a drug addict I ran today but only just broke 9 min/mile....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

A 1 mile rise/fall in a 10 mile race is a lot.  So that would be 0.5 mile rise and 0.5 mile descent on a there and back.  So that is only 0.05 miles error on an EXTREMELY hilly course.  My hilliest halfs have been a rise of about 0.15 miles.

Other GPS errors, course length errors and not running tsngents are vastly more significant.

Flavio - go for 1:29:59.  If you feel really good with 5km to go, then kick for 1:29:00.  I think 3 miles / 4.8km in is too early to make a "I am feeling really good" decision.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Keen: there should be a way to approximate what your hilly half would have been on a flat course. Does anybody know a resource that calculates this? Archimedes aka Jmac maybe? Wink

I am also interested in this myself as I will be jogging/running a relay with a 250m climb over 10k so as if running a 2.5% steady climb. Under healthy conditions how much slower should my 10k pace be? I have a spreadsheet, in fact the JD spreadsheet, that gives you guidance on temperature though. I think you have this one as well. You should try to normalize the race and then tell us what time would have been achieveable.

Flav: go for the show of course. It makes for much better RR afterwards Smile We seem to have similar genes eventhough I am short. But just dont have the hair on ears like the donkeys yet. I have that issue somewhere else.

Piwi: yes very funny to spend some cash wait explain and then get nothing out of those damn doctors. I wish I had gone to medschool myself and could screw over people Smile That 50+ guy looks incredibly ripped. His name is Yuri btw. If he ever meets Falvio in person, we wont hear from our Brazilian friend for a long long time. The best comment on letsrun was: I think he takes stuff but I would never dare to tell him in his face Smile i have a few friends in your new age band and they have office jobs so fight a lot with weight gain and lack of power/drive. They all say that they are thinking of taking testosterone supplements. One told me that he loves his hair too much to go for that as it causes hair loss apparently. But well cant be ripped and look like George Clooney I guess. Not sure if it helps your and Rune's stool problem but try it and let us know Wink

Jmac: since my GPS also track altitude I would expect it to be sophisticated enough to calculate the real distance. But as mentioned I have a relay jogg on Saturday and will be able to answer this question for the Suunto Ambits.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Hi everybody! I am not a very consistent writer... I'll try to post as often as possible but I generally have no time... (and now I am tapering, so with the running is cut back, I have some time this week )

Thanks for the welcome and grazie per i benvenuto. I guess both JMac and watsonic are right, I am a fast twitch guy, or at least I used to be, then I became more of a slow-fast twitch guy. I am slowly getting back but I haven't figured out yet how to improve in the FM. I guess the suggestion of 50 MPW (200 per month) is a good one. I will try over the summer and try to find a relatively flat marathon I can go to in the fall (maybe Dublin...) I just need to find the time for the consistency...

I think I will run the marathon next week in Lux (not a flat one, but I'd love to get a PB anyway...) then I will start a new, faster training with some more track or speed sessions (any suggestions is welcome). If I recover fast there is a half (or a 10k) on the 20th of June I might run. i am not sure if my body will agree though.

Thanks Rune and Piwi for your words on the 3h30! (I wish!), I will keep it in my mind next time I hit the wall in my brain (it will happen next weekend in Lux, as I do think I have a mental problem at 20/23 miles that I have to overcome, any suggestions?)

Mick, I go to Italy twice a year, so you can see where my weight problem could come from right? Well actually is the work travel as well...

I went to Sicily last year (in Levanzo, a little island, very wild) and I loved it!!! I am from Tuscany. I really hope PR will come this year... I guess consistency is key!

PS. Happy 50 Piwi (since you didn't  want anybody to know, as a perfect stranger I decided to mention it )

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run 9/17) | 10km: NA (I guess I shoudl try one Wink Wink

HM: 1:34:36 (Belfast Half Marathon, Sept-17) | FM: 4:15:17 (Belfast city Marathon, May-17)

Up next: 

Luxembourg Marathon, 12 May 2018

Lisburn HF or 10K in June?

Belfast city half marathon in September

Dublin city marathon in October?

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Hi everybody! I am not a very consistent writer... I'll try to post as often as possible but I generally have no time... (and now I am tapering, so with the running is cut back, I have some time this week )

Thanks for the welcome and grazie per i benvenuto. I guess both JMac and watsonic are right, I am a fast twitch guy, or at least I used to be, then I became more of a slow-fast twitch guy. I am slowly getting back but I haven't figured out yet how to improve in the FM. I guess the suggestion of 50 MPW (200 per month) is a good one. I will try over the summer and try to find a relatively flat marathon I can go to in the fall (maybe Dublin...) I just need to find the time for the consistency...

I think I will run the marathon next week in Lux (not a flat one, but I'd love to get a PB anyway...)

What do you think? I will ask for suggestions next week if you have any on the race strategy... see: 

http://www.ing-night-marathon.lu/files/ing-night-marathon/content/Streckenplaene/Streckenplaene%202016/Hoehenprofile_ING%20Night%20Marathon-Luxembourg%202016.jpg

then I will start a new, faster training with some more track or speed sessions (any suggestions is welcome). If I recover fast there is a half (or a 10k) on the 20th of June I might run. i am not sure if my body will agree though.

Thanks Rune and Piwi for your words on the 3h30! (I wish!), I will keep it in my mind next time I hit the wall in my brain (it will happen next weekend in Lux, as I do think I have a mental problem at 20/23 miles that I have to overcome, any suggestions?)

Mick, I go to Italy twice a year, so you can see where my weight problem could come from right? Well actually is the work travel as well...

I went to Sicily last year (in Levanzo, a little island, very wild) and I loved it!!! I am from Tuscany. I really hope PR will come this year... I guess consistency is key!

PS. Happy 50 Piwi (since you didn't  want anybody to know, as a perfect stranger I decided to mention it )

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run 9/17) | 10km: NA (I guess I shoudl try one Wink Wink

HM: 1:34:36 (Belfast Half Marathon, Sept-17) | FM: 4:15:17 (Belfast city Marathon, May-17)

Up next: 

Luxembourg Marathon, 12 May 2018

Lisburn HF or 10K in June?

Belfast city half marathon in September

Dublin city marathon in October?

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Running the hypotenuse - I know some Garmin watches (likely only ones with a barometric altimeter) have a "3D pace/3D distance" setting that does track actual distance and pace up/down climbs. I've never used it on mine, though.

Mick - I don't think the elevation gain on the race made too much of a difference - I likely made up most of the uphill losses on the downhills - but the headwind was the killer.
                              If done on a flatter course, cooler temps, and most importantly no headwind I have no doubt I could have run sub-1:26.

Marco - Good luck with the taper and race. More speed isn't necessarily the answer to a fast marathon - endurance (read: lots of consistent miles) is more generally a limiting factor from what I've seen.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Sorry I didn't mean more speed for improving the marathon... my post was a bid confusing... After the marathon, I am aiming for shorter distance (possibly a HM under 1h30 by the end of the year, or a 10K in June (if I recover); so I will increase the speed after the marathon for a bit.

In addition, I am wondering whether and how I can improve the marathon and I will definitely try to follow the idea of higher consistent mileage  and try again in the autumn Smile

thanks!

Upcoming races:  

???