Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Jmac thanks for the race report. 5ks are so funny with all different types of folks. Its interesting how you guys look at it as 1st mile 2nd mile 3rd mile while we break it into 5 x km bits. I dont know which is better but you picked it up nicely. I will do another Parkrun in a couple weeks and see if i can knock off another 10 secs.

Steve as the others said once per week tempo for 20-40 mins is the norm. Make 5k the minimum tempo distance.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I changed my Strava over to KM just to see: you guys are right, it makes 5Ks much easier to understand the pacing. I do like thinking in miles though during the race: 3 is shorter than 5, so the pain is more bearable!

5K splits were:

3:40

3:38

3:34

3:28

3:23

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - So long as I don't run off the road it's hard to draw anything else. Great job on that sub-40!

Jaime - Hi again! Hopefully that knee issue gets fixed. Have you/are you going to see anyone about it?

James - Wow, you are light!

Piwi - Nice week, and bravo for building the consistency. Good job prompting the healthy work to earn the game.

Watson - Nice week as well.

JMac - Awesome 5k! I'll get to the RR soon.

Me - Nothing noteworthy from a weekly standpoint. I deferred my weekend LR as part of a Mother's Day gift to DW so I ended up with about 79k/49+ miles.
        I really think the weather has now hit the point at which I need to start carrying some water with me on my runs. It was ~75F/~24C, humid, and windy. Oh, how I've hated the wind the last week or so! I had to push a little harder than I wanted to get back to the house by a certain time (it turns out I didn't even need to do this), but I feel like I've dug myself into a bit of a hydration hole today that'll take a while to get myself out of.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - he did indeed, despite falling back around 7K he got in at 39:49.

Good job making the kiddo run for gaming time. If you outright forbid him it will never work.

3K a day will make him tired enough he does not need the game as much.

Watson - you are stringing along some nice consistent weeks.

Mark - to be honest despite the obvious waste of effort going around slower runners after 2K it was sparse enough that we could just cross in between then without doing a lot of zigzagging. Passing people is actually very fun!

MJ - my Max HR is 185, rest HR 60, 165 seems about the right effort for the middle of a 10k, anything above that and the paincave would start earlier than 9k causing a 4:05 km. Anyway, I probably could’ve gone sub 39, which is nice at 84kg. My previous time around this weight was a 39:59 at 83kg.

Steve - +1 don’t add tempo to easy runs. Hansons recommends adding strides, which is you pick up the pace for like 100m and then keep running easy for a few more minutes. You do like 4, 5 strides total within your easy run, just to keep the legs sharp. Even so, you might want to forget about this and just run easy. Leave the fast stuff for the workouts.

Jmac - once again congratz. You absolutely have a faster time in you, at the very least a 17:40.

5K is best logically divided into 5 blocks of 1km, since the race is 5km long.

But I get that if you train in miles, mile pace is easier to grasp.

Keen - if you generally hidrate well throughout the day you should be fine for runs up to 12 miles.

Granted 75F might be a lot warmer than you are used to (I don’t suffer as much in training runs around those temps).

me - I'll try to keep going with the easy miles, closing a sort of macro block. The highest priority now is to keep consistent and avoid injury.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I've added your race (sorry, I meant to do this sooner!)

Keen / Flavio - I find hydration is kind of an individual thing.  In humid 24C conditions I'd probably need to take some water for anything longer than ~13km / ~8 miles.  But I sweat a lot which exacerbates it.

Flavio - hoping you can continue the CONSISTENCY!

Keen - I enjoy your descriptions on Strava.  I've often wondered what it would be like if I did the same thing - definitely not the same level of wildlife but depending where I run when I'm in town there's sometimes some... interesting... sights nonetheless.  I can imagine 'three passed-out drunks and two prostitutes of uncertain gender' would be a possible description for a run involving K Road at 6am!  Or around Westhaven... 'four hobby joggers, two housewives in activewear and a MAMIL with a rat dog'.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks Mark.

K Road is great at 6am!  Had an epic all nighter after the RWC final in 2011 and got home about 1pm...thankfully (almost) everyone was in good spirits that morning.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I do usually drink a lot of water, but maybe I slipped up a little yesterday. Or who knows, it could have been a one-time thing. I did originally plan on doing an M effort workout this morning but literally got about 3 steps into it before deciding it would be best to do an "easy" run. Not that that run qualified as "easy".

Mark - Glad I can provide a little entertainment. Titles would certainly be a lot different if I were running in an urban area. I had to look up "MAMIL". That's pretty hilarious, and I'm thankful that there only seems to be one of those on the local running scene!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Jmac thats whats called a progression run 5k race  in all honesty if you even out those splits you will likely run near 17.30.

Keen nice week. I feel sluggish on some runs too but heat really doesnt agree with me. You run early right ? 

Flavio theres a 10k here in 3 weeks but it has a 3km section where you lose over 1 min. Im in 2 minds to do it as I will struggle to get sub 40. I have trouble motivating myself to run slow courses. What would you do ? 

Mark I had to google MAMIL too. Im pretty sure you wear lycra cycling pants....but you are not middle aged so its ok 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MAMIL is amazing. I have to say, as someone who absolutely despises these people in NYC, you gave me great joy discovering this phrase. Said MAMIL's are complete assholes (glad I can say that here) who will brush by you while running because they need to get in their workout at TOP SPEED even though they are biking around one of the most crowded parks in America. They also absolutely refuse to stop at red lights. I've heard them yell at pedestrians to WATCH OUT even though they are blowing through a red light.

I may or may not have gotten into a few shouting matches with said MAMIL's...

For those of you who think running in Central Park is cool - it's not due to these folks. Just to be clear - runners and cyclists will always have a mutual dislike for each other in crowded areas, but there's something special about these folks in their super cool outfits.

Whew, that felt good to get off my chest.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

I actually think JMac paced pretty well, just a tad slow at the start.

Assuming a perfectly even 3rd km, JMac was 3.6% slower in the first half compared to the second.  I have read that 2% is pretty much ideal.  So if we assume 1.6% quicker first half, no difference second half, then that is 9s quicker with a 17:42.

I have paced much worse than 9s off.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

JMac - good week and race.

Steve - an easy run incl. a tempo is a bad idea . And by definition is not an easy run.

Keen - good week.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

Hi everybody!

Congratulations to Flavio (great job with the back to back sub-90 HM, sub-40 10k!), JMac for the 5K PR, and everybody else for what read like a very good week!!!

I am back from my Luxembourg nightmare... Funny you discussed the difficulty of going back to pain cave once you have a serious problem like collapsing... I think I had an actual panic attack this time around... never felt like that running! Overall, the race was probably the worst racing experience of my life.

In my favour, the course was much much more demanding than I anticipated. I completed the marathon, but with an awful time above 4 hours and a half. In fairness it was hell for everybody and I completed in the middle of the pack (without considering the many runners who did not complete).

but let's take a step back to the race report and write down some take away for the future...

Pre-race

I went to Luxembourg the day before, taking the opportunity to catch up with my cousin rather than focusing on a marathon. He is opening a restaurant, and I even gave a help there the day of the marathon (nothing physical, just discussion on planning and budgeting). Additionally, we arrived late at the start and I could not check in the post race kit (so I have a cold now!!!)

Race (start at 7 pm - not great as my typical run happens in the morning..) :

I knew it was going to be difficult, so I accepted to start slow with my cousin (who was running the HM and aimed for a 2h). I ran an easy first 10K in 55'. I was ok, but I knew that the first 30 K were simpler (on the map at least), so I didn't force from there. We separated from the half around 15K (my cousin was already gone by then), but around 18 Km, the unexpected troubles started! There were about 3 hilly kilometres that were not evident on the map, but were very evident while running on them. It was a series of about 150-300 mt. long hills (ups and downs) with no pauses in between. Just before the first half I got my first cramp, but I managed to relax and kept going without too much pain.

I passed the half in 1h 55'. I was ok physically and with the time given the difficult course. But the story changed in a couple of Km... the road took a very steep down hill, in the dark, in a valley near a river. It was dark, cold and damp and I started feeling dizzy.. and I started to worry. I had strong cramps around 25 to 28km and I struggled going on. Around 30 Km my eyes hit a wall. it was after crossing a bridge on the river. In from of me the hill and the city on top. between us a curvy trail up hill. I started running up, but ended up in a long walk up hill with cramps. However, I managed to relax and keep going.

I wanted to run, and I tried, but I felt dizzy and tired. I was sleepy (???). This was a new feeling. I managed to run and walk to 37 Km but I was in a sort of panic attack. I kept thinking that many have collapsed in London or other marathons and that didn't help (but my brain was focussed on it). I even started thinking I over-hydrated and I stopped in a restaurant to ask for salt...

At 40 km I almost fainted. I started running from one side to the other of the road. The time was not important anymore, but, for some reason, I had to finish! Both the 4h 15 and the 4 h 30 pacers passed me in the last 2 Km. I finished walking with a 4h35. I am not happy wth the time, but I did not want to drop out; I was there and wanted to bring the medal back home (that was the only thought that helped). Then I realised that many did not complete or finished after me and that with 3 hours you would got in the first 25! So, in the end, I am happy I didn't drop out.

AFTER RACE:

I was alone for about 30-45 minutes, waiting to find my cousin and others, with no change and no mobile phone in an unknown expo part of the city... another nightmare at midnight, after a marathon. I was cold, in the cold, lost ... probably the end I should have expected from this adventure...

Learning points:

FROM NOW ON, RACE DAY WILL BE MY DAY; I WILL NOT RACE IF I AM WITH SOMEBODY ELSE, I WILL JUST TRAVEL. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE WAS PROBABLY NOT CHECKING IN THE POST RACE KIT...

TRAINING NEEDS TO HAPPEN ON SIMILAR PROFILE AND CONDITION (I TRAIN ON FLAT ROAD AT 6 AM AND RACED ON A HILLY ROAD IN THE EVENING...).

I will follow your suggestions on training (the book I ordered arrived while I was in Luxembourg), and I will refocus on my annual goal, which was a sub90 half marathon.

I will get back running tomorrow or the day after and slowly get my mileage back

all best

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

watsonc123

Marco - given how bad you were hit by the race, take it VERY easy the next few weeks.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - LOL at the descriptions.

jmac  - I guess we found your pet peeve Big grin

Watson - thanks for the info on the 2% negative split

Marco - In the future you might want to consider dropping out instead.

There is long term damage to your structure, both physical and psychological.

A small fade around km 36 is fine. When you’re having cramps before 30km it’s time to save the day, lose the battle but not the war.

The fitness acquired during training for that race can be best used against another race Smile

Other than that, your immune system is probably very low right now so take it easy on every aspect of your life Smile

Your lessons learned look good, I'm sure you will bounce back for some good times in a few months.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marco congratulations very courageous to go through all that and finish. There are so many things to improve on from this....

Preperation- loads of base mileage 50 mpw+

Fueling- gels ? You didnt mention them. Practice with them in training to see if you can handle them. One per half hour seemed right for me in the marathon.

Course knowledge- know the course. Google the event and read everything. Runner blogs and race reports are really good for info.

Dont try anything new on raceday and that would include time of day to run.

Dont let this put you off another. Just prepare better.

Once again big balls for finishing.