Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - Good luck in your 5K! Can't imagine conditions will be ideal though.

Steve - Hope it's just a niggle and comes back in a few days.

Rune - I do remember that! I guess I just didn't realize (more like didn't read) that you had a down week in the previous month which is why the numbers seemed so high. Keep up the good work. And yes, I'm following the full 18 weeks, so I think you'll be about 2 weeks ahead of me the entire way!

Mark - I ran in cooler conditions yesterday, it was only 85/30! Now you know why I have so much snark when you Kiwis complain about it being "so hot" when it's 25.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

matthewfschwartz

Jmac- Yeah I am living on campus, and I'm planning on joining the running club. I just want to have some people to run with on occasion, because training alone sucks and it's nice to have people that keep you accountable.

Keen- Nice week, and good luck tomorrow on your 5k!

Mark- My 5k PR is 17:14 (on a true cross country course), but I have only ran two 5k's recently (we ran 3 mile races in high school) , so I'm guessing a sub 16 is ambitious, but it's worth a shot.

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I hope that injury ends up being more of a niggle.

Rune - I don't really consider it "low" mileage, just not the mileage I had planned on. That hill is a monster - I was doing ~5:40-5:50/mi most of the way down (topping out under 5:20!), but on the way back my slowest was ~7:44/mi, usually around 6:40-ish.
        It's a strange race from a pacing/strategy perspective, since usually going under mile race pace in the opening mile of a 5k would lead to a spectacular burn-out. Maybe that's a little like what Mark feels like during a regular race!

Mark - I'm using a Garmin Fenix 5X. It has a couple firmware-related issues that are minor annoyances, but nothing worth ditching it over.
        And thanks! I think I may have hit another level of heat acclimation this week, so I'm hopeful about the race. I think I'm going to try running it off of feel & Stryd, just to see how that goes.

JMac - I just checked the forecast and it's supposed to be ~76*, dew point ~70*. Far from ideal overall, but probably about as good as I could hope for.

Matt - Thanks! Speedy PR, especially since it was XC and not roads. You're young, too, so you've got a lot of time to improve and chase down 15:59.

Training cycles will be fun for me to watch this summer/fall. It looks like Rune, JMac, & Brewing Runner (sub 3:20 thread) are all doing Daniels 2Q plans as well, but all starting a couple weeks ahead of me.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac- Yeah I am living on campus, and I'm planning on joining the running club. I just want to have some people to run with on occasion, because training alone sucks and it's nice to have people that keep you accountable.

The only piece of advice I would give you is to enjoy these years. I know you're really focused on running, and if it gets you to get on the team, that's great! But don't spend every day and night running while studying because you'll never have 4 years like this to build out a group of lifelong friends while also building out critical skills for life/work. I definitely worked out and ran while I was in college, but there is no way I could have kept up with my studies and relationships if I tried to run 50+ MPW. Not trying to discourage you from running! Just saying keep things in perspective.

As usual with unwarranted advice, feel free to just ignore 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

matthewfschwartz

Jmac- No I appreciate the advice, maybe I should lay off on the 5k in November. If I were to run it, my training would start the first day I arrive at school, and I'm not sure if I want to have to worry about running workouts and stuff the first few weeks of school anyways. Right now the plan is to run whenever I can, probably before classes start, but school will always be my priority. Through running I have learned that goal oriented people find ways, so I'm convinced that I'll be able to find a way even around school. You're right though, I do need to take some time to meet people and make connections, especially considering I am out of state and know no one there haha

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Matt wait until you find a (permanent) girlfriend (if not already done) and I bet you your priorities will shift again Big grin

Crazy how competitive it is to make the xc team at your colleage. You are pretty fast and with lots of potential so is there a way into the program if you race really well?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

matthewfschwartz

Mick- Yeah K-State is Division 1, and even though it has mostly local runners (not much recruiting), it is still very competitive. For reference, I ran a 2:01 800m this track season, and to secure a spot on the track team, I likely would have had to run closer to 1:56-57 on a fairly consistent basis. I'm guessing it is possible to be able to walk on sophomore or junior year, but I have to consider if it's even worth the time commitment or not.

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Matt: ok thanks - got it. Good thinking of directing your focus to academics instead of sports. That has a higher chance to pay the bills later anyways and in the meantime just run as time allows - like the rest of us Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I ran in cooler conditions yesterday, it was only 85/30! Now you know why I have so much snark when you Kiwis complain about it being "so hot" when it's 25.

Complaining about the weather is pretty much a national pastime here in NZ.  Mostly because not much else interesting happens!

Keen - I am using the Fenix 5S.  I have mostly been really happy with it albeit I haven't tried any of the beta firmware (Garmin stuff tends to have a few irritating bugs even in the final releases!).  I do find the GPS to be a bit more prone to getting wobbly when I'm running through tree-lined streets etc. though, vs. my last watch (Garmin FR235).  It seems a little odd considering the Fenix line are marketed for trail running and hiking rather than just being a pure running watch like the FR235.

Matt - wow, that's really competitive.  Part of me wishes I'd really given running some serious focus earlier on although I had no idea I was any good at it then.  But, I met my (now) wife and my best friend at university, and my job enables me to look after my family pretty well and have a pretty good lifestyle, which includes running, so I'm probably inclined to agree with JMac and Mick.  And there is absolutely no money in running in New Zealand, that's for sure!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I think complaining about the weather is global. The Brits are freaking out over a heatwave as are the Americans. Strava has the word dew point on it many times at this time of year from all the USA users 😀

Keen you won that 5k right ? So humble ! Nice job and good luck in the next.

Jmac/Mark/Matt

I feel sorry for the local elites who follow the dream as its such a tough gig. The guys running high 13/14 min 5000m as there is still no money in it. You pretty much need to be world class to make a living from running. Kiwis who make money from running is a short list, Nick Willis world class miler, the Robertson twins 60 flat half guys and thats about it.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I agree, at some point at Uni I realised there was no money in Running (especially for me, with a 800 mt in  2'06'' ....), so I decided to give up and study and work and put together a family... However, 15 years later I regretted giving up. The passion stays with you and, if you have it, you will be back... I am back now but it takes so much time to get back to have some fun...

Keep up the running is not so bad if you can find a balance and keep things in perspective (as Jmac suggested). Also I am convinced that I have the job and the lifestyle I have because of my running mentality (the grit to stick to a task, as they call it some times, is an everyday activity for a long distance runner; we do not know how to give up even when we realise we are not the best we give 100% of what we can - this is a good skill to have in business ...). I think running shapes a lot of what I do and who I am.

Said that, this week I am taking it easy enough, just getting miles in Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune - great consistency

Piwi - aw thats cute. On a serious note you are in 1h25 shape right now, when will you run a real half?

Matt - it's awesome to have someone as fast as you amongst us. It gives perspective. Sometimes I feel like if I run a sub 18 5k I'll be a God on earth, but as usual when I hit a new PR all I can think is the next PR. You can probably run 16 for 5k but you are likely looking at those skinny 15 minute 5k guys.

Watson - I feel like running form has a big impact on injury, and that the slower paces are more forgiving for someone with very bad biomechanics such as myself

Jmac - thanks, I've got some heavy legs indeed

Complaining - most common sport worldwide. Brazilians will complain about the weather, the corrupt politifians, crime. They also complain when a traffic guard rejects a bribe or give them a ticket.

Last but not least, they skip the job to watch Brazil play in the world cup (it's Armageddon level empty streets during Brazil matches), and then complain about lack of commitment from the players haha.

But mostly people complain about the weather.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Says the guy who has PRs for warm weather!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Says the guy who has PRs for warm weather!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Where I run GPS is really good since it's wide-open country with no tall buildings or even trees that cover the roads. I've run the OKC marathon/half marathon twice with it now and I will say the tall buildings really mess with the GPS until you get clear of the buildings - I think that's pretty standard, though. One of the latest betas enabled the use of Galileo satellites, so maybe those will do better than just GPS/GLONASS.

Piwi - I didn't win, but I was only ~2.5 minutes behind the guys who did so I was practically breathing down their necks.

Watson - Nice callout! 

The race went pretty well. It was warm and humid, though not as bad as I thought it would be, with about a 10mph/16kph wind that was a tailwind for ~1k to the midpoint turn, then naturally a headwind back to that 1k/4k point. Yes, this race only has kilometers marked, something that only this timing company does around here.
                                People seeded themselves oddly well, except for the 6 year old who thought he could hang at sub-18 pace. One of the super-fast guys did something to his calf before the 1k point and hobbled back to the start - I ended up passing him on the way back at around the 4.5k point.

I ran just by effort / stryd and things felt really good to the turnaround, where I passed the only person I would - an 18:2x 5k guy who's coming back from a leg issue. Thing were a bit slower on the way back due to the wind (though the cooling effect was nice. About the 3k point I started having some GI issues. The closest porto-johns are at the start/finish and I was caught in an uncomfortable place between "running is the fastest way to get there" and "GI issues will probably go away/lessen if I stop running". I settled on a bit of a middle ground and backed off the effort a little and made a sudden right turn after finishing (19:07) to head to the porto-potties and all was well after that.

I'm a little bummed I didn't go sub-19, but I did get a PR out of it and I'm happy with my overall effort level. I keep eeking out small PRs (~1-2 sec/mi faster than previous), though typically in less favorable weather and on somewhat more difficult courses than before. Looking forward to some (eventual) big PRs!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4