Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

On an "unusual sightings" note, I saw the oldest Garmin I've ever seen in actual use, a Forerunner 101, 201, or 301 (released in 2003). Something like this:

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Congrats with the PR CK, and nice race, although not nearly as nice as that Garmin!

I finally got to do a threshold workout under "normal" conditions yesterday (first one was on a treadmill, second one in super windy conditions). 2x2T+1T, preceded by 6 miles easy (and before that, 3 hours on my back under a car with my oldest son, helping him replace the alternator on the car he is driving). Managed to keep a 6:56 average pace on the T segments, although it seemed to me that the last mile of the second 2-mile segment was harder than the last 1-mile segment. Looking at my HR it seems like I was at the correct effort level (although my HR seemed very high for the warmup miles), but my legs sure felt heavy at the end. Might have something to do with all the easy miles at the beginning, and the hours spent under the car . And the workout ramps up next week already with 3x2T...

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nice work CK.  That battle between fastest way to get there and stopping to ease the "issue" is something I'm sure every runner can relate to.

My calf doesn't feel too serious but there's definitely a small tear which will become a bigger tear if I push it.  I've stuck to the bike since Monday and may give it a go tomorrow but the way it feels now, that is unlikely.  With 4 weeks until the race I have serious doubts that I'll get there, or get there with a PB being possible.  Very annoying, I'm in peak shape now and feel like a PB is a real possibility.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I just looked back at my last weekly update and had said my legs are feeling better than ever...interesting that usually I can feel an injury coming with soreness and then stupidity by not backing off a bit, although I'm much better at that now.  This one came out of nowhere, I had no pain in that spot.  I felt something in my warm up and thought nothing of it, then it came back quickly during the 4 minute interval of my second 2,2,4 set.  I was pushing hard (3:45 - 3:50 pace) but no harder than I have for the last few weeks.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - We sure are complaining a lot about dew point, but you guys try running in 85 temps and 75 dew points! I never really complain about the cold though, the only time it’s annoying for running is when it’s so cold that your clothing is restricting how fast you can run.

Flavio - I always love your snark around Brazilians.

Keen - We’ll done! Big PRs feel great, but as Piwi always reminds me, there will be a day when you can never get a PR again so enjoy it while it lasts.

Steve - don’t beat yourself up over it. I’ve found that most of my injuries have no real sign that they were coming. Sometimes I think it’s because of a long run, but then I just had this foot injury that came out of nowhere during a taper for my marathon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - well done on the PR!!  Sometimes those small but steady improvements can snowball into a much bigger jump and you are clearly on the right track.

Also, that Garmin looks suspiciously like the device on your avatar's wrist!

Rune - nice workout and I imagine if I'd tried to run after waterblasting the house like I did a few weeks ago it would've been equally difficult.

Steve - bummer, just take it easy and maybe it will hopefully turn out to be something fairly inconsequential.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Also, that Garmin looks suspiciously like the device on your avatar's wrist!

Ha I did not catch that, well done.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Keen that thing is huge, almost a small TV 

Steve i had a calf pull like that recently and did the walk of shame home and declared on strava a pulled calf only for it to heal up in a couple of days. I have now lost all credibility with injury assessment 

Jmac we dont use dew point here, in fact I need to go google it. Sorry I will stop reminding you that we dont PR forever 

Rune household chores etc always burn me out as I have a  weak pathetic runners upper body now. Good job competing the workout.

Mark good spotting on Keens avatar !

Im having a lazy week although mileage is ok just no workouts after 3 last week.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I definitely appreciate the PR. While big PRs sure are nice I'll take the incremental ones, especially when taking courses and weather into account between new/old PRs.

Mark - Great catch. The avatar is from a game released in 1991, so maybe the game designers were ahead of their time!

I actually managed to get up at a respectable time this morning and was on the roads a good 20 minutes earlier than usual, so in celebration I added in a few extra miles (also somewhat making up for taking yesterday off). I was a little bummed that my hawk track coach didn't show today. I need to come up with a name for her...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - sometimes the stars align with favorable conditions and you get some nice break throughs in PRs, but small PRs are cool too

Rune - I have the utmost respect for you guys who do manly things. I’m a wimp and cannot replace a power outlet.

Steve - talk about injuries out of nowhere, I was running 8k today super duper easy and somehow managed to injure my right ankle right at the achiles, in the last 100m. I didn’t have issues with the right side for years now and then this. I’m hoping the customary 2 days off will solve it.

me - my week is done at 30km with 2x functional training. I have some pain near the scapula on my back from doing rubber band assisted pullups with the easy grip. The good news is I'm no longer abusing the trapeze muscles as much.

And a small injury on my right achiles, I suspect it might have something to do with trying out the 3 new shoes in 3 runs.

In summary, growing old sucks.

As for the world cup, with Germany and Uruguay out, I'm now cheering for mother Russia, my reasoning is explained in full detail below:

Putin - VAR - World cup

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio you are not running enough that is why you got injured 

My week done. Was pretty boring untill todays group run with the fasties.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Jul 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 6.2 8:38 Afternoon Run strava
                        Tue 6.2 8:23 Lunch Run strava
                        Tue 1.9 7:44 With Grayson on beach strava
                        Wed 1.9 7:21 Beach with Grayson strava
                        Wed 6.2 7:59 Goodbye Tepuke I will miss you strava
                        Thu 6.2 8:24 Morning Run strava
                        Sat 6.2 8:04 Morning Run strava
                        Sat 2.5 9:52 Pap Hills with Grayson strava
                        Sun 16.2 7:18 Morning Run strava
                          53.5 8:01    

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - I remember playing it... I think on our high-roller Compaq 386 

Flavio - too many new shoes at once can actually do that as your feet take time to get used to them!

Piwi - nice week and nice long run this morning.

Me - had a bit of a cold mid-late week but it was pretty mild and didn't really seem to impact my running too much.  Overall this was a relatively tough week with a lot of workouts too.  Smashed out a fast tempo on Saturday which included some hills too but my right post-tibial tendon was just a little bit niggly.  Switched back to higher drop shoes for today's long run which is the usual fix for it, and barely noticed it.  The streak of weeks over 75km continues - up to 12 now, which is actually more than I managed during marathon training last year (I had a lot of higher weeks but the occasional lower one in there as well) but I've probably only got a couple left before tapering a bit for the Taupo HM.

M: weights

T: 12km incl. 2 x 10 mins moderate

W: 14.2km incl 4x5 min cruise intervals / 1 min rest

T: 14.3km easy

F: weights

S: 12.1km incl. 10km tempo @ 3:38/km average

S: 26.2km incl. hills and progression effort

Total: 78.8km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

matthewfschwartz

Keen- Great work on that 5k, sub 19:00 is right around the corner, especially considering you still managed a PR despite the less than ideal conditions!

Steve- Good luck with the calf, it's probably best not to push the recovery for risk of having to take even more time off.

Flavio- Who's up next for you to support now that Russia is out now too? Will football come home?

Piwi- Nice week, especially that quick long run!

Had another mileage building week, had a brisker pace on Friday then a longer run today. Will probably run a proper long run next week, not sure when I'll start back up with some workouts.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Jul 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Tue 6.0 7:11 Morning Run strava
                            Wed 5.7 7:18 Adventure Run strava
                            Thu 5.0 7:09 Morning Run strava
                            Fri 6.0 6:48 Morning Run strava
                            Sat 3.0 7:05 Long Run Part 1 strava
                            Sat 5.0 7:13 Long Run Part 2 strava
                              30.7 7:08    

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Flavio: Growing old sucks big time J I am happy for Lula that he doesn’t have to grow old in jail though J PS: did you see the commercial in which “Neymar Jr” rolls all the way to KFC and finally stops complaining to order chicken wings? Good one.

Piwi: Why is it Goodbye Tepuke does your son stop boxing?

Mark: I am amazed how strong your body is by now. I mean you barely have any easy runs and still nothing beyond niggles. If I consider the long runs as quality as well, you did 4 out of 5 as some sort of substance (borrowed this from the Hansons J). I would fall apart with so much quality.

Rune: What did you do under that car? Oil change? Or some serious work? I don’t do much around the car other than changing the tires. But I do repair my scooter regularly and enjoy that.

Me: first week with something of substance (SOS) and a “long run”. Nothing that really deserves the title under normal circumstances, but I had 4 weeks of downtime and am still getting regular PT sessions in to help getting rid of the calf pain. 4 runs, 40 kms. “Long run” of 13km. The Hansons half plan has me increase further next week and add a day. So far it is quite a decent and balanced plan. A lot easier as compared to JD.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mark nice streak you have going. Glad that cold didnt come to anything.

Matthew solid little week at a nice pace !

Mick good to see you starting to come back from that injury. My son doesnt want to sign up for another term at the boxing gym which was really just a fitness class for kids so no more Te puke runs for me.

My long run yesterday was fast but I ran with 3 sub 15 5000m guys and then we were joined by a once 2.13 marathoner and another guy and 2 ladies. Anyway I survived it although my ankle seized up a bit later.