Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - nice job running with the speedy pants. It must suck to carry a conversation though

Mark - your week did have many speedy portions, but I reckon 10 minutes moderate and 5 min cruise intervals barely register?

Matt - I have no team on this cup anymore. May the best team win!

Football’s coming home is the smartest sentence I’ve seen all year. It either mean they will be champions and Football invented in England is coming home, or it simply means they lost and the football team is coming home.

MJ - I saw a commercial for the equivalent of 911 in Portugal, stating that 78% of their emergency calls are also fake haha.

I’m glad to see you back at it.

James - hope you get better soon

Watson - did you say…. hobby joggers haha. We’re also getting the wet weather treatment here, I’m lucky I’m lazy and running just 30 something km this week.

Corey - that’s a very decent week with a nice 20 miles tacked in.

Jmac - 3 new Altra shoes: Duo (awesome), Torin 3.0 (meh, possibly wrong size) and Timp (heavy as a brick).

I also don’t know what a dew point is, and I hope I don’t have to learn.

Rune - that’s the problem when training is going good we start to feel invincible haha, especially a 100km bike ride.

Take care, 50 miles running is plenty exercise.

Marco - remember to consider overall volume you want to achieve.

For instance, in Hansons marathon plan, the speed interval volume is roughly 3 miles, so it ill be 12x400, but 8x600, 6x800, all the way to 3x1600.

me - the right achilles issue seems to have gone away for now after 2 days off. We finally got a decent winter with temps between 5-15c, I hope that's not the price for the northern hemisphere to be burning the past few weeks.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

WOW so much activity on here it is hard to keep up with it all.

jmac nice week and 2 nice q workouts. I know what you mean about dew points its usually pretty high here too. today is supposed to be 92 with a dew point of 63 which isn't too bad but starting to get uncomfortable.  This past weekend the dew points were down in the 50's here, it was so much easier to run!

Steve sorry to hear about your calf hope you get recovered for your race.

Keen Piwi Matt Marco all nice weeks

Mark nice week and nice streak I have one of my own going at 5 weeks over 44 miles should add one more with this week as well.

After putting in a quality workout on Saturday last week my long run on Sunday was a struggle the last half but I manage to get through it.

Still debating what plan to go with I bought JD book and am thinking about the 2q 40-55 mpw plan.

Still have a few weeks to go before I start a plan so my focus will continue to be on increasing mileage.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marco - remember to consider overall volume you want to achieve.

For instance, in Hansons marathon plan, the speed interval volume is roughly 3 miles, so it ill be 12x400, but 8x600, 6x800, all the way to 3x1600.

Thanks for mentioning it!  For now, the idea is to stay around 5 to 6 Km (10X600, 6X800, 5X1000) and maybe increase the warm up miles. I don't want to push it too much as one of my objective is to stay healthy over the summer.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - 5-15C winter is so nice! Too bad you're wasting it by traveling and not running 

Rune - Great Sunday run after a crazy long bike ride!

Marco - Interesting workout.

Mark - I really wonder what you will put up this cycle. You've been so consistent, but your PRs are getting so good I wonder how much you have to go at this volume. It's going to be really interesting to see what sort of times you put up.

Corey - I find that 60 degree dew point is tough but I adjust well to it after a few weeks. I can't adjust to 70+, and 75+ is basically just a soakfest running through the tropics. These southern hemisphere guys saying they don't know what dew point is, all I can is must be nice!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Here's a fun little chart for you people who don't care or know about dew point to see how important it is!

DEW POINT (°F) RUNNER'S PERCEPTION HOW TO HANDLE
            50–54 Very comfortable PR conditions
            55–59 Comfortable Hard efforts likely not affected
            60–64 Uncomfortable for some people Expect race times to be slower than in optimal conditions
            65–69 Uncomfortable for most people Easy training runs might feel OK but difficult to race well or do hard efforts
            70–74 Very humid and uncomfortable Expect pace to suffer greatly
            75 or greater Extremely oppressive Skip it or dramatically alter goal

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Cfarr and Marco - good weeks.

Mark seems to do quite well on his modest volume with significant intensity.  For the half and below, there are plenty of modest volume examples.  Said Auita did pretty well with 40-60 mile weeks, he went sub 13 for 5km!

Flavio - your weather sounds ideal.  But you're injured again!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I can understand what it is, it just is never mentioned anywhere around here.

The few who care about the weather forecast worry whether it's going to rain and maybe if the temperature will be too high.

Also the weather is spoken about for 2 minutes every day on the TV. I remember I got quite annoyed when I was in the states because the TV would show the weather every 5 minutes heh

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

My marathon PR was in that 70+ branch 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I think Piwi said it earlier, there's quite an obsession with talking about the weather. Although that's partially true, I think it also matters where you live. In many portions of the US, the weather is very volatile. We don't have wet/dry seasons, or hot/cold. High temperatures can swing by 10 degrees Celsius one day to the next.

To give you a clue, the record high in Chicago is 104/40 and the record low is -24F/-31C. That's a 71 degree Celcius swing! I checked the records for Porto Alegre. The record high is 43 while the record low is -4, or only a 47 degree swing. Auckland is even less dramatic: the record high is 34 and the record low is -4, or only 38 degree swings.

That's why we Americans talk about weather more. We have 70 degree swings in extremes, whereas you/Piwi/Mark have 35-45 degree swings. Rune is a rare exception in the US, as the difference in temps is only 44 degrees Celsius.

TL;DR I'm jealous 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - dude you run in Central Park. You finish your run and go to Central Perk meet with Rachel and Joey 

seriously though, I agree, places where the weather can kill you require more respect.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - dude you run in Central Park. You finish your run and go to Central Perk meet with Rachel and Joey 

seriously though, I agree, places where the weather can kill you require more respect.

Haha fair enough. Piwi reminds me that I should appreciate my PRs, you remind me I should appreciate running in Central Park (and drinking coffee at Central Perk). This is why I stay on this thread 

Jmac/Flavio didnt you hear Joey got a job hosting Topgear and is 50 now. You wont find him at Centralperk 

Jmac we do use humidity here alot in summer but after googling dewpoint and humidity still confuse me 

My climate is the same as Marks but Watson lived in the windiest city in the world Wellington.

Rune epic week with that bike ride. Your bum must be toast 

Flavio thanks for taking over from me on low mileage low motivation grumpy old man syndrome 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac we do use humidity here alot in summer but after googling dewpoint and humidity still confuse me 

My climate is the same as Marks but Watson lived in the windiest city in the world Wellington.

Dewpoint is basically just the temperature x humidity %.  So if temperature is 16 and humidity is 75%, dewpoint is 12.  But it's a much better measure for running difficulty than raw temp because obviously it takes into account humidity as well.

Re Wellington, having been on a mountain in Canada is -30 degree C temps, with a further -10 or so of wind chill, I can honestly say that the coldest place in the world is still Wellington when there is a southerly blowing.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah it's a bit confusing. Dew point is just the temperature at which dew will form, which in and of itself may mean nothing. However, the point is that it's a better measure of how damp the air is than humidity. Remember, temperature cannot go below dew point, so if the dew point is at 75, the temperature cannot fall below 75 degrees because the air is so moist.

Here's how to think about why "humidity" is a bad way to think of it: if it is 10 degrees Celsius but 100% humidity, it's actually a perfect day for running (PR weather) and you wouldn't call it "humid" outside even though the humidity is at 100%. However, a day at 30C with 80% humidity would feel like the worst humidity you've ever run in during your life. Sure, the heat is bad, but the humidity would feel like running in the Amazon jungle because the dew point would be through the roof.

That's why, when temperatures go north of 20C, you'll hear runners talk about dew point more than humidity because humidity is a poor measure of what people talk about when they say it's "so humid outside." 100% humidity means nothing without knowing what the temperature is, while a dew point of 75F is obvious to everyone as being oppressively humid, regardless whether it is 75F temperature or 95F temperature.

Where is @WeatherBoy? He's over in sub-3 but could explain that twice as well as I did with half the words.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - the take over is now complete since I’m posting for the 3rd time today.

jmac - yeah that makes sense. My city is nearby a huge lake so humidity is rarely under 70%.

I’ve taken a look at historical weather data:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/brazil/porto-alegre/historic?month=4&year=2018

For the majority of months (except June, maybe July) the temperatures are between 20 and 30 celsius.

So for 10 out of 12 months the dew point here is above 70F 

I'm glad I run 6:30am when it's not as oppressive, but races are many times 8am or even 9am.

Talking about races, there's a 7km race July 22nd, I might give it a shot.

I'm not in the best of shapes (see a recent picture of me below), but I might beat my time of 27:46 (6.9km actual distance) from last year.

recent picture of me