Hammer products (Read 782 times)

I was hanging around a pre-race party Friday night talking with others about what works for them fuel-wise in long races. Several people commented how well they like the Hammer products and felt it made a difference in their running. It got me interested and so I checked out their website today and their system seems so damn complicated that for me trying to understand it is like studying for some of my science classes back in college. Does anyone here understand it? I'm not that great a runner so I'm thinking I'll just stick with my Gatorade and occasional Powergel. The Hammer stuff seems too complicated.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The "system" is marketing. Hammer gels are OK. I don't find that any gels really are any different than any others. Mostly there's just a difference in flavor. I personally like the Carb Boom gels because they are less sugary-sweet and more tart. The really sweet ones tend to turn my stomach.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Yeah, it's marketing. They make a lot of money.
        protoplasm72

They should of spent some of that marketing money on developing flavors that don't make me want to vomit. Dead

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Yeah, their marketing is very tight, too much so, though. They almost talked me into ordering some Perpetuem (cyclists seem to love that stuff), since they're adamant about saying their gels are only for events/training under 2 hours. But take an electrolyte pill and what's the diff? Sure, you're missing the protein component, but few gels include that anyway. Marathoners have been getting by with standard gels for years. Their gels go down easy, btw, and are a good deal with the jugs, but I'm trying a few out before I commit to large quantities of anything.
                Can't touch this hammer:

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I had to post an update...they're a cool company, zealous marketing be damned. I had ordered a variety pack of Hammer gels which I just got this second. Since I'm a first-time customer, they sent me all this extra stuff, samples of all their main products, actually! Perpetuem, Heed, Endurolytes, Recoverite and a Hammer bar! I have warm feeling for this company again. Big grin
                  Scout7

I just question the need for all that stuff.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I had to post an update...they're a cool company, zealous marketing be damned. I had ordered a variety pack of Hammer gels which I just got this second. Since I'm a first-time customer, they sent me all this extra stuff, samples of all their main products, actually! Perpetuem, Heed, Endurolytes, Recoverite and a Hammer bar! I have warm feeling for this company again. Big grin
                      That's about enough to make me want to order something. I love free stuff Big grin I've tried hammer gels as well as all the competitors. For me, it comes down to two things: Flavor and maybe caffeine. They all seem to work about the same and are great for a long run or bike ride; I also eat them before races of 5K or more --even though I probably only need them for races of more than 10K but they always make me feel like I have more energy, so...whatever gets the PR!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

De-slacking in progress

My bro is a tri-athlete and also does Ironmans. He is a dedicated Hammer buyer. He says their products are good for the 2hr+ endurance events. Under 2 hrs he says just buy the over the counter stuff. The only supplement I use right now are vitamins,etc and OPtimun 100% Whey protein drinks http://bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html as my Recovery/protein fix (10# bag of Double Choc-hmmm hhmmmm goood). I swear by that. Hammer has nothing to compare to their protein mix and what they do have is twice as expensive

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Imminent Catastrophe

I use Perpetuem for marathons/50k's. It's worked well for me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I use HEED drink. I find the complex carbs easier than the simple sugars in gatorade. Is a very neutral taste and easy on stomach. Havent tried other drinks (perpetuem, etc) but they typically provide these samples when you order other things...

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)