2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

19:51 today by my watch....

19:33 today. Seem to be on a bit of roll...

SMART Approach

Bragger! Good job! I will never get a chance if the freeken snow won't stop falling!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

pr you need to open a sub 19 thread now. And give us a race report of how you broke 20 again.

My 2011 PR is still 22:31 lol.

I have been sick the last 2 weeks but still aware my goal of a sub 22 by Feb. 10.

pr you need to open a sub 19 thread now. And give us a race report of how you broke 20 again.

My 2011 PR is still 22:31 lol.

I have been sick the last 2 weeks but still aware my goal of a sub 22 by Feb. 10.

Hope you get better. Here's a brief race report, both for last week's run and yesterday's.

We have a local parkrun event, which I go along to every so often - sometimes alone and sometimes with my wife and daughter. It's a multi-loop course in a county park. A pleasant setting, but a bit twisty and can be slippy when it's been raining - so not always ideal for running fast, but it is dead flat.

Last year the best I managed was 20:06 despite trying to beat that quite a few times. Last week I drove (sometimes I cycle there) out by myself. It was really cold. I warmed up (about 3km) in sprinter shorts, running tights, t-shirt, shower proof jacket, thin gloves, thick gloves and merino wool hat. I was using my saucony grid type a4 running flats. At the start I put my thick gloves and hat into my pocket. I was chatting to a guy on the start line who was just wearing shorts and singlet - which seemed kind of crazy to me - but he was happy enough. I guess some people just don't feel the cold like me. Anyway, when the gun went I was a bit held up in traffic, so the pace initially was slightly low. I was using my 310xt to pace myself - basically trying to keep the average pace on 4 min/km. (It can be slightly inaccurate, so it's not always a good idea to trust it exactly, but there are also km markers that you can use to check agaist). I felt pretty good, but noticed that I was slightly behind schedule though most of the race. However with a minute or so to go I realised that 20mins was still possible if I could pick up the pace, so I dug hard and finished in 19:52. Compared with last year I had much more energy at the end and, after the event - I can see from the HRM data that my average heart rate was lower that quite a few of my 5ks last year.

This week, was much the same, but it was significantly warmer... just tights, long-sleeved shirt and thin gloves. With a new target to go for I was trying to run a few seconds faster per km. I also positioned myself a bit better at the start so didn't get caught up in traffic so much. But the race followed a very similar pattern, although with a slighter higher speed, once again a good finishing kick (passing a couple of guys in the last 50m) for a time of 19:34 (9th overall and 2nd in 45-50 AG).

So... the real question is why can run it faster this year? More running perhaps - but I suspect the most significant thing is that I've lost some weight - I'm now down around 76kg - whereas most of last year I was around 82kg. I still feel that there's more improvement to come, as I wasn't completely dead on the finish line. Part of running faster is having the confidence to try and run faster, and haven't got here I'll certainly try to go out at a slightly faster pace and see if I can hold it.

I would like to throw my hat in here too.  I managed to run one sub-20 last year, before I ran into some hamstring issues.  I am currently taking a few days off after a half-marathon, but have my next 2 5K's planned out: one early March (first one of the year) and then another in mid-April.  

It really looks like several of you are close (or have already owned it, pr100!) congrats and good luck to everyone!

I got some performace lube for my treadmill and I can finally run more than 2 miles without it shutting down.

Three weeks ago I ran a 22:31 and I have had a sluggish last couple weeks putting in around 15 mpw.

Still I was determined to go sub 22 as I have run every day this year.

Hopped on the treadmill.

Ran the 1st mile in 7:16 and it seemed under control. I thought I could speed up at the halfway mark and beat 22.

When I got to the 1.5 mile mark in 10:55 though I knew I could not continue this pace.

I just didn't have the stamina so I slowed it down to around 8.1 mph (7:24 per mile I think it was).

I made it to 2 miles in 14:38. Then it was all I could do to hang at 7:30 pace.

I went through 3 miles in 22:02 and 5k distance in 22:40.

I am at 11 miles for the week and 109 or the year.

I am feeling good but it might be time to kick it in gear.

I ran a 5K January 30. It was a comedy of wrong turns and slippery conditions. I wrote about it here: Go in the Snow 5K

I continue to run 10 miles every Sunday with a couple 1K’s in 4 minutes with four minutes recovery between the two. Later in the week I run three to four miles at marathon pace heart rate. All other workouts are easy. The snow and cold haven’t made things easy.

I have been eating very well, and dropped a few pounds. I want to lose more.

Next race is a 5K on March 19. I’m hoping to be 21:59 or better.

I ran a 5K January 30. It was a comedy of wrong turns and slippery conditions. I wrote about it here: Go in the Snow 5K

I continue to run 10 miles every Sunday with a couple 1K’s in 4 minutes with four minutes recovery between the two. Later in the week I run three to four miles at marathon pace heart rate. All other workouts are easy. The snow and cold haven’t made things easy.

I have been eating very well, and dropped a few pounds. I want to lose more.

Next race is a 5K on March 19. I’m hoping to be 21:59 or better.

That is a nice blog & race report you have going on there!

3 miles today for me. I ran around 9:50 per mile pace.

SMART Approach

Did a long 5K race today in cold temps. 13 degrees so had to dress up. Managed a 21:05 but sub 21 if true distance. They moved back start line to accommodate 15Kers. Maybe cost me 15 sec. I did it 40 sec faster than last year so I feel I am ahead of my conditioning last year and on my way to sub 20 potentially even in spring when temp is above 35. Every 5 degrees below 35 degrees starts to cost you some time on the course. I felt strong aerobically but legs did not want to fire. My HR said I should go faster but legs said no - certainly due to cold and not a lot of speed work. I have been throwing in some critical velocity fartleks and some fast striders which I did not do last year heading up to this race.  I will try to start getting in some better work outs as I train for the Green Bay Half Marathon even though the event is full. I am signed up for the full marathon but don't think I can train enought to run that or I may wing it. Will see. I am encouraged by today's race and my hammys coming out of it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RootieKazootie

Sounds like you've got plenty more to come there Tchuck.

pr100 congrats on the 19.33, your old best didn't last very long.

Mainrun, that Go In The Snow 5k report was hilarious. I had the Benny Hill tune in my head.

That'll be a great one to look back on when you're old and grey (and shooting for sub 30).

Would have to agree that losing a few lbs helps.(159lbs down from 168 in Dec.)

i ran 19.38 thismorning (old pb 20.53) starting out conservatively to make sure of 19:anything.

Had the confidence from some good training runs, including 2 miles at 6.30 and 6.31 in the

middle of an 8 miler. Also a new 42.39 10K best (old pb 44.18) with gas in the tank at the end

and no sprint. Feel like there's more to come. Thinking of getting under 19 is bizarre. Really happy

to be in the best shape of my life at 38, although between you and my couch that's not saying much).

These threads have been a great motivator, in particular Michigan Flyers sub 20 quests (I II and now III)

Can hardly believe i've made it. Good luck all.

19:33 today. Seem to be on a bit of roll...

Nice going, pr and RootieKazootie.

mta: Reading is helpful device for obtaining information.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

congrats rootiekazootie Smile

I'm getting closer again.  20.19 last night.

Way to go RootieKazootie, tchuck and Mandy; I am impressed. 

_______

Thanks for blog comments. I do create the reports thinking about reading them when I am 80+ years old, all old and gray.

Good grief Rootie you shaved over a minute over your PR best!

Show us how easy it is!

I ran outside for the 1st time this year as temps are above 50 and most of the snow melted in Michigan.

I was hoping for sub 22 but would have been happy with a 22:30...anything over 23 was unacceptable.

Well I got out in 7:19 and I knew it would be tough.

I ran the 2nd mile in 7:34, likewise the 3rd mile and finished in 23:07 over 5 kilometers.

I just don't have the speed wheels yet.

Finishing the distance with a good effort not so terrible but I could not have put much more effort into this without bailing.

I just have to believe I can get it going when I start the speed stuff and get used to the outdoors.

I have 19 miles this week with 3 days left so it should be a new mileage weely record at least for 2011.

I have run at least a mile all 48 days this year (a record) but my average is a paltry 2.8 miles per day (134 miles in 48 days).

RootieKazootie

congrats rootiekazootie Smile

I'm getting closer again.  20.19 last night.

Looks like you're next up Mandy. 19 seconds is just about 75 meters away. 40 or 50 strides.

Michigan, you have the recipe, get your weekly miles up, add some speedwork, a sprinkling of hills

and cook on high for 20 minutes.

I always set targets, and the second thing i thought when i finished (right after YESSSS!) was that it's

very close to your own pb. I'm just 3 seconds down the road from you Mich. That wheezing sound is me.