2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

jfa

Using PFitz 18/ 70 +

Goal is a PB @ 3:34 or better.

Mostly harmless

For the table: 1st Boston. Most likely my last marathon unless I can get my chronic Achilles issue worked out.  Goal right now is just to finish.  Early training run paces indicate 3:45ish.  Training plan is heavily modified Pfitz 18/70.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Laura

This will be my third Boston, and I'd really like to see what I could do with it. 2014 I turned it into a "fun experience" run after life hit the fan a few weeks prior. 2015, I ran a big course PR and a 37 second overall PR but felt like I could have done more (I think I started a little too slow still, and the weather...well...yeah that was fun).

I can't say for sure if I will have an overall PR in me (2:58) but I think I could nail a course PR and first sub-3 on that course as long as training goes well!

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

bhearn

I would be very interested to know how that Tenex procedure works for you.  Please keep me posted.  I have been dealing with chronic achilles issues for about 5 years.

Thanks

I'm two weeks post-op now. I can start weaning myself of the boot this week. Still no running for four more weeks. I won't really know until then what the effect has been, I guess.

Also, it's looking likely I'll be skipping Boston this year. I really hate to, because this will break my streak of 11 so far, and I will miss seeing everyone. But I just have too much other travel this year, lots of it running related. Boston isn't a goal race, and overall my focus has shifted to ultras. I still want to run another marathon PR, but my real strength is at much longer distances, and I'm eager to see what kind of mark I can make before I get too old.

It seems silly to allocate such a big chunk of time and money each year just to keep a kind of arbitrary streak going. OK, so I won't hit the 25-year club, it seems. But is that really worth basically a week of my life each year? No. Missing seeing friends is a bigger deal, but at least there the streak is irrelevant. I can still go back next year, and I won't have to start all my friendships over from scratch. Y'all will still remember me... right???

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Crud I might as well put in -

I'm in - 1st Boston - staying at an AirBnb near mile 21.

Custom plan - goal is to PR - likely buy a jacket - just because.

I'll be running my first Boston.  I got the qualifier shirt and got the storm trooper jacket via internet.  I think the jacket fits a bit snug for a medium and the arms seem a bit long.  I'll definitely get the event jacket at the Expo.  Hope it fits a bit better.  I'm staying at the Lowes Boston.

xhristopher

It seems silly to allocate such a big chunk of time and money each year just to keep a kind of arbitrary streak going. OK, so I won't hit the 25-year club, it seems. But is that really worth basically a week of my life each year? No. Missing seeing friends is a bigger deal, but at least there the streak is irrelevant. I can still go back next year, and I won't have to start all my friendships over from scratch. Y'all will still remember me... right???

I live less than 10 miles from the finish line so it's no big deal for me to roll on out the door in the morning and come home before sunset with another Boston to my name but you folks who travel... Hats off to ya. It would probably be one and done for me.

bhearn

For the longest time Boston was must-do for me every year. It was the apex of what running was about. That role gradually got supplanted by Western States. Which, unless you're elite, you can't do every year, but I've been lucky to run it twice, and I go to pace and soak it in when I'm not running, almost as good. But now I think that slot is being taken over by Spartathlon, which is kind of silly, as it's a much bigger time and money expenditure to do that every year.

When you're not as fast as you used to be, sometimes it's all about the "streak"... Coming from someone who will be running #9 in a row this April.

Cyberic

I live less than 10 miles from the finish line so it's no big deal for me to roll on out the door in the morning and come home before sunset with another Boston to my name but you folks who travel... Hats off to ya. It would probably be one and done for me.

It might be just this once for me. But who knows? Maybe I'll fall in love with that race. I just can't believe how expensive it is to rent a place in Boston during marathon week.  I will be staying in Somerville, near a Subway station. Hopefully I won't regret my "money saving" decision.

Not that it's important, but since it's posted in the table, I won't be using Hansons like I said. After seeing my kids' sports schedules, there's no way I'll be able to run 13 miles on Thursdays. And moving the workout to Wednesday won't cut it either. So I'll train by ear, kind of a mix of Daniels and Hansons...

Julia1971

I'm two weeks post-op now. I can start weaning myself of the boot this week. Still no running for four more weeks. I won't really know until then what the effect has been, I guess.

Also, it's looking likely I'll be skipping Boston this year. I really hate to, because this will break my streak of 11 so far, and I will miss seeing everyone. But I just have too much other travel this year, lots of it running related. Boston isn't a goal race, and overall my focus has shifted to ultras. I still want to run another marathon PR, but my real strength is at much longer distances, and I'm eager to see what kind of mark I can make before I get too old.

We'll remember you!

I put you as a potential scratch because having done some streaks, I know how hard they are to break.  Wink  FWIW, I've heard some people just run Boston to run Boston.  And, that worrying about qualifying for next year isn't your problem until April 19th.  Smile

jfa

Y'all will still remember me... right???

Right .

Heal up.

Think big picture.

You're really doing grate right now.

Are we there yet?

I'll throw my name in the hat here. 4th Boston

Good luck everyone and stay healthy!

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

For the table:

1st Boston

Goal: Sub-3:30

Plan: Coach

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Sjpcollins

First time Boston marathon runner, coming over from the UK.  Any advice appreciated and I'll be in Boston from the Friday, if anyone is interested in a get to know the area run or two, that a be great.

P.s i'm a club runner - Preston Harriers - would be great to also get to meet any Boston club runners and get insight into how you guys train.